Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What camera for guiding? ASI120mini vs ASI290mini.

I'm am going to be taking my first steps in guiding and experience the joys of guiding for the first time in the coming season. I shall be using a 50mm f/4 guidescope. It looks as though this will give me ~ 3" per pixel with the ASI290 and a FoV of about 1.6° x 0.9°. With the ASI120 it will give me ~ 3.9" per pixel and a FoV of about 1.4° x 1°. My current imaging system gives about 1.4"- 1.7" per pixel with Fov of between 1.9° - 2.3°  x 1.3° - 1.7° depending on the reducer I use. I would prefer not to have to align the guidescope in order to find guidestars.

It would seem that either camera is suitable, but what benefits would spending almost double on the camera bring, other than that the ASI120 mini is not recognised by the ASIAir Pro or PrimaLuce Lab's Eagle Core, should I ever get around to using them? Is there any detriment to using a colour camera rather than a mono?

Ian

My 120 was fine when used with a 50mm finderscope but didn’t perform as well with an OAG. I then bought a 290 which works really well with the OAG.

There will be an abundance of stars with either camera in a finderscope so no need to worry about having to move it.

Mono would be more sensitive than the Colour version.

I bought the USB3 version of the 290 to double up as a solar imaging camera. It costs more but otherwise as a guider performs the same (no better)

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Thanks 1

The only comment I would make regarding the 220 mini is that the USB connector does not like the cable to hang free. On mine it results in occasional dropouts. Easily fixed by folding the cable back on itself and tie wrapping onto the camera body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Also use (tried to) a 120 with oag.  Found 2,5 stars with it.  Some adviced me to use it as paperweight and i listened

I dont think that is fair, it certainly worked for me. I had to slightly adjust my positioning on a couple of occasions to get a star, but this was for targets that are outside the swath of MW stars, and generally have few guidestars regardless.  If OAG was your sole goal, I wouldnt recommend it, but as a guider on a finder scope - perfectly fine.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, almcl said:

My experience matches Tooth_dr's. 

Been using my ASI 120 mini with an OAG for two and  half years now and it has never failed to find guide stars.

Same here, 120 mini on an OAG, always finds a guide star.

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I dont think that is fair, it certainly worked for me. I had to slightly adjust my positioning on a couple of occasions to get a star, but this was for targets that are outside the swath of MW stars, and generally have few guidestars regardless.  If OAG was your sole goal, I wouldnt recommend it, but as a guider on a finder scope - perfectly fine.

No your Partially correct.   It wasnt to offend the asi120.  Its more a failure of my own inexperience.   And the stubbornness  to good advices.  I meant it more in a way like Lewis Hamilton participating in a tennis match. Its maybe better to place him in the audience while being participating in a GP he’s better Behind  the F1 steeringwheel.  He’s the second best driver on the grid.  

Edited by Robindonne

Thanks for all your advice. It looks very clear that the ASI120 will serve my needs, and save me a bit of cash :). This hobby is expensive enough!

Ah, I have been confused over whether it is supported by the ASIAir Pro. However, I see that according to the ZWO website the ASI120mini version is supported, but not the larger USB3 version :). Even better then, a bit of future proofing!

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

54 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Thanks for all your advice. It looks very clear that the ASI120 will serve my needs, and save me a bit of cash :). This hobby is expensive enough!

Ah, I have been confused over whether it is supported by the ASIAir Pro. However, I see that according to the ZWO website the ASI120mini version is supported, but not the larger USB3 version :). Even better then, a bit of future proofing!

Ian

The larger 3.0 not?  I use it.  And its supported

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

The larger 3.0 not?  I use it.  And its supported

Hmm, confusion reigns! Ah, I think I'm confusing the ASI120-MM/MC, which appears to be discontinued and is not supported, with the ASI120MM-S/MC-S, which is the larger USB3 version and is supported. My mistake, sorry about that :rolleyes:.

Ian