Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus occultion

At dusk

HI

Astronomy has been my main hobby for the last forty years. I watch and image the sun regularly but I have to admit that I'd never bothered to look at planets o the moon in broad daylight. I didn't expect much of the occultation with the big bright summer sun so close in the sky. But it was amazing. The planet approaching slowly and then disappearing until only a small point of light was visible against the darkest disk of the moon.

I attach a couple of pictures as a testimony, although unfortunately they cannot reflect the beauty of the occultation

Regards

Edited by At dusk

• 2 months later...

A relatively unusual event, though certainly not as rare as a Solar transit!  I've done a search using Skymap Pro and as far as I can tell the next one visible from the UK will be on Thursday November 9th 2023, starting around 0940 UT +/- 10 minutes or so depending on location. and lasting around an hour.  The Moon is again a waning crescent, Venus disappearing behind the lit portion first as before and itself almost last quarter, mag -4.3.  Well separated from the Sun, 45 degrees West, and quite high in the sky, over 35 degrees altitude (again depending on location, that is for NE England). Both Stellarium and SkyX agree :-)  Should be quite a sight, definitely one for the diary.  But November weather???  Fingers firmly crossed!

Cheers,

Peter

That’s a wonderful picture. I wish I’d been aware of this occultation at the time. It would probably have been cloudy knowing my luck. 

Just a detail but is the apparent shift in the line of crescent Venuses real or something to do with how you produced the multiple image?