Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Let's talk filters

22 hours ago, John said:

You need dark skies though - these filters are not "magic bullets" if there is much light pollution about.

I’ve been trying every clear night we have lately for the Veil with oiii / uhc with my 8” and not a whisper 😞 But I did try the Dumbbell and Ring last night with oiii as per discussion here and found it really beneficial :) Lots more detail and structure visible. So I’m glad I have them and just need to get somewhere darker for the Veil I guess.

Edited by markse68

Anybody use filter holders to change through them?

Need to change my EP holders to click locks. There’s no thread for a filter at the bottom of the 2” section, only on the 2”-1.25” reducer, is that normal? ie all 2” filters mount to the EP?

25 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Anybody use filter holders to change through them?

Need to change my EP holders to click locks. There’s no thread for a filter at the bottom of the 2” section, only on the 2”-1.25” reducer, is that normal? ie all 2” filters mount to the EP?

With my dob I have a clicklock extension tube that I screw the filter into. I can then change eyepieces without moving the filter. On my frac, I screw the filter into the diagonal which again allows for eyepieces changes without moving the filter from eyepiece to eyepiece.

30 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

So... is Barnard’s Loop not necessarily an HB target? 

I've only ever tried it with with an HB filter but it's worth a shot with UHC filter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

With my dob I have a clicklock extension tube that I screw the filter into. I can then change eyepieces without moving the filter. On my frac, I screw the filter into the diagonal which again allows for eyepieces changes without moving the filter from eyepiece to eyepiece.

I'm looking at this one for mine https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-m68-clamp-for-hexafoc-focusers-bresser-omegon-and-explore-scientific.html

Have asked the question, but surely there must be a filter thread?

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I've only ever tried it with with an HB filter but it's worth a shot with UHC filter.

A UHC filter passes the O-III and H-Beta lines so they do sometimes help with H-Beta emitting targets. 

57 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

It’s the 2” holder that doesn’t do a very good job on the bresser and heavy EP’s. The only 2” thread is on the bottom of the reducer so that you can use a 2” filter with a 1.25” EP. Just had confirmation that the click lock still doesn’t have a thread at the bottom of the 2” holder either? Is this normal? Means you’d have to add a 2” filter to each EP? That’s going to be a PITA if swapping EP’s regularly. 

4 hours ago, Stardaze said:

So... is Barnard’s Loop not necessarily an HB target? 

Under very dark skies and using eyes that have observed Barnards Loop many (hundreds of) times with an Hb, yes a UHC will work. Barnards Loop is one example of a really fussy object exit pupil wise.

A prime target for the Hb is the California neb, which is also tough. I'd pick easier targets to consider at first like the Flame neb near Alnitak- this one will teach much about scatter, filters and non filter observing.

The H130 is a prime scope to use on the large targets like Barnards Loop etc and shows it easily with the NPB.

Edited by jetstream
H130 info
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Just had confirmation that the click lock still doesn’t have a thread at the bottom of the 2” holder either? Is this normal?

Yes that is normal. The 2" eyepiece clamp must be wider than 2" in order for 2" eyepieces to be inserted into it. Additionally, once the clamp is fixed to the telescope, you will have a hard time getting a filter onto the bottom of it. 

One thing that I might do in future is to fit a Baader UFC system between the 2" click lock and focuser, but I need to upgrade to the new maxbright binoviewers first and check the remaking focus travel, as well as confirming that with no filter slide in place the Newtonian gpc can pass through the UFC chamber. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yes that is normal. The 2" eyepiece clamp must be wider than 2" in order for 2" eyepieces to be inserted into it. Additionally, once the clamp is fixed to the telescope, you will have a hard time getting a filter onto the bottom of it. 

One thing that I might do in future is to fit a Baader UFC system between the 2" click lock and focuser, but I need to upgrade to the new maxbright binoviewers first and check the remaking focus travel, as well as confirming that with no filter slide in place the Newtonian gpc can pass through the UFC chamber. 

Thanks for that. It does make sense but just sounded like you could screw the filter into the system to negate swapping each time. No worries, at least I know. I only have one filter atm anyway 😆

Hi,

In the pic below, I've got the Bresser 2" EP clamp ('A') and the 2"-1.25" adapter ('B')

Stardaze - 'A' is what you would replace with the Baader ClickLock for hexafoc? You would still require the converter 'B', which is what is threaded for a 2" filter (arrowed)

If you replace B with: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-2-125-adapter-2956214.html, this actually has the 2" filter thread. So the 2" filter is attached to either the adapter for the 1.25" EPs, or the actual 2" EPs.

Have I understood correctly?

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Hi,

In the pic below, I've got the Bresser 2" EP clamp ('A') and the 2"-1.25" adapter ('B')

Stardaze - 'A' is what you would replace with the Baader ClickLock for hexafoc? You would still require the converter 'B', which is what is threaded for a 2" filter (arrowed)

If you replace B with: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-2-125-adapter-2956214.html, this actually has the 2" filter thread. So the 2" filter is attached to either the adapter for the 1.25" EPs, or the actual 2" EPs.

Have I understood correctly?

Capture.JPG

Yes, that’s it 😀 Will you be in the market for a click lock system too. The standard supplied is ok to the point you have a 600g+ EP.

I was looking to replace the adapter (B) with a clicklock mainly for centering issues. The Revelation looks ok for that too.

I wasn't aware of the EP weight limit for the 2" holder (A)! Is that what Bresser specify? I've no 2" EPs yet.

6 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I was looking to replace the adapter (B) with a clicklock mainly for centering issues. The Revelation looks ok for that too.

I wasn't aware of the EP weight limit for the 2" holder (A)! Is that what Bresser specify? I've no 2" EPs yet.

No not at all, just from what I’ve found. What Don mentioned does work to a point (just using two of the screws) but clearly the click lock is more advanced all round.

Was thinking about getting mine out later but, realistically, it’s not dark enough till midnight and I’ve got work..

Need to maybe try Thurs night, looks clear till Friday.

18 minutes ago, Pixies said:

The 1.25"-2" Clicklock won't help as it is clamp "A" that is the problem. As the Clicklock has an undercut, "A" will tilt it and being tilted is worse than a slight offset.

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

The 1.25"-2" Clicklock won't help as it is clamp "A" that is the problem. As the Clicklock has an undercut, "A" will tilt it and being tilted is worse than a slight offset.

I see. So 2 ClickLocks then! That will increase the focuser height quite a bit!

1 minute ago, Pixies said:

I see. So 2 ClickLocks then! That will increase the focuser height quite a bit!

It looks like if I remove the extension barrel, I’ll lose 7mm so there’s plenty left in the focus rack for that to work. But I’m going to make a note of where the focus

point is through all my EP’s just to check.

3 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Or you remove the extension as well as the 2" clamp, and then it is a bit shorter.

Did you say that somehow you’ve added spacers to an EP so that its parfocal with your XW’s?

Actually... it’s more like 12.5mm difference...

@Ricochet Just noting your pic of yours before, looks like you have a spacer/extensions off the main click lock? Might need something similar maybe? Might just order them and see.

Edited by Stardaze

On 22/06/2020 at 04:19, RobertI said:

I should have mentioned, this is for visual! Apologies. 

If you want something that works well on M42/M43/M8/M20/M17/M16 and The Veil, the Crescent, Thor's Helmet, The Helix, The Owl, etc., then the UHC.

It is the closest to a "universal" nebula filter (though no filter really helps on dark nebulae or reflection nebulae).

But if your interest runs more to planetary nebulae, then the O-III.  Eventually, you'll have both.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

If you want something that works well on M42/M43/M8/M20/M17/M16 and The Veil, the Crescent, Thor's Helmet, The Helix, The Owl, etc., then the UHC.

It is the closest to a "universal" nebula filter (though no filter really helps on dark nebulae or reflection nebulae).

But if your interest runs more to planetary nebulae, then the O-III.  Eventually, you'll have both.

Thanks Don

51 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Did you say that somehow you’ve added spacers to an EP so that its parfocal with your XW’s?

Yes. I added a parfocalising ring to my 28mm Nirvana. I also have some spacer rings above the parfocalising ring, but those are not a standard thing that you can buy. 

DSC_0670_2.thumb.png.a1c96743bbb75a88d3175cda22db081f.png

37 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

Actually... it’s more like 12.5mm difference...

@Ricochet Just noting your pic of yours before, looks like you have a spacer/extensions off the main click lock? Might need something similar maybe? Might just order them and see.

I don't have any spacers. The thing you are probably looking at is the ring that connects the M68x1 male thread on the Clicklock to the M68x0.75 male thread on the focuser. Mine is smooth but the production version is knurled.

Focusing is quite tight to full extension, the 2" ep might not focus without the parfocalising ring to lift it up. Baader do sell M68x1 extensions, but they are quite expensive for what they are. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Yes. I added a parfocalising ring to my 28mm Nirvana. I also have some spacer rings above the parfocalising ring, but those are not a standard thing that you can buy. 

DSC_0670_2.thumb.png.a1c96743bbb75a88d3175cda22db081f.png

I don't have any spacers. The thing you are probably looking at is the ring that connects the M68x1 male thread on the Clicklock to the M68x0.75 male thread on the focuser. Mine is smooth but the production version is knurled.

Focusing is quite tight to full extension, the 2" ep might not focus without the parfocalising ring to lift it up. Baader do sell M68x1 extensions, but they are quite expensive for what they are. 

It’s this bit here?

377301C8-8B71-493E-88AF-A130518300E8.jpeg