NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7000 Ha Oiii Sii

tooth_dr

I gathered all the data for this image on the evenings of the 5th, 11th, 13th and 25th May.

Ha - 10 hours with 250px and 5.5 hours with ED80

Oiii - 5 hours with ED80

Sii - 3.5 hours with 250px and 3.5 hours with ED80

I will try a version with the stars removed prior to processing, so this is a WIP, and to see how the data looks. The stars are a little misaligned at the corners.  I realise now that I had ticked same camera and optics, so it didnt stack it in an ideal manner.  I had closed APP before I noticed this, so I will reload all the data again tomorrow and restack it.

Thanks

Adam.

V1

NB_NGC7000.jpg

V2 added:

NB_NGC7000v2.thumb.jpg.d4e86f6db94e218d878108d1ea7703d7.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
Added V2.
  • Like 27

2 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Yea,terrible them corner stars..🙂...seriously that's unreal Adam,would sell a kidney to have that image.

Lol, cheers Paul.  There stars are a stacking defect, easily remedied if I have clicked the right box.

4 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Apart from ...as you said about the stars , especially lower left....I like the delicate feel feel to the image....nice colouring and good detail.👍

Thanks Brendan.  Maybe too soft is it? I find it a fine balance between going to the right place and going too far.  It's too easy to get carried away.

Really nice Adam, great work! It has a subtlety to it, something i should try and aim for myself (i definitely allow myself to get carried away all to easily!). 

I wouldn't say it's too soft. Perhaps in places it could take a tad more contrast maybe? 

On removing the stars, one added bonus of not removing them (as you have done here) is that you end up with some star colour. I really like the star colours you've got here, if it were me i would much prefer these over just plain white ones. But if you do use Starnet and end up with white stars, you can always add the colour later. Just do another blend as you have done here, and run it through Starnet as well. Then layer the 2 in PS and set the Blend Mode to Difference or Subtract. This will leave you with just the stars, which you can then save and use as a mask later, to only allow through the colour of the stars. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Lol, cheers Paul.  There stars are a stacking defect, easily remedied if I have clicked the right box.

Hmmm, don’t think they are a stacking defect, looks like flattener spacing, or sensor tilt issue, I get same on my scope, and it’s sensor tilt...

Great image all the same.... 👍😀

Edited by Stuart1971

Personally I hate over processed.....and have I not done that also in the past!          BUT....nowadays I would much prefer the light touch.....for me it shows a muturity and contentment with working the data.  I like detail more than colour (not that you can't have both, of course). This one, with a hint of green leaking into the image (giving more depth) would be my ideal.......but of course, we are all different and others will disagree.

Going too far is so easy to do and one lesson I have learned from Sara Wager - but never practice 😏 - is don't publish an image until you have looked at it for several days  and have dispelled any of your own doubts about the image. 

Forgive me for playing with your image (I might be permantly banned for doing that 🙄)....but I think the hint of green does help the depth....but so many people just erase it. (Of course this is a personal oponion - but I wanted to show what I was talikng about in my previous post). I have also just enhanced the dark areas a tad.....again helping to show that the detail that you have captured really does you proud!

NB_NGC7000.jpg.f3770ec8105632dddc96945bb6d7033c.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Forgive me for playing with your image (I might be permantly banned for doing that 🙄)....but I think the hint of green does help the depth....but so many people just erase it. (Of course this is a personal oponion - but I wanted to show what I was talikng about in my previous post). I have also just enhanced the dark areas a tad.....again helping to show that the detail that you have captured really does you proud!

NB_NGC7000.jpg.f3770ec8105632dddc96945bb6d7033c.jpg

Thanks Brendan.  I left in 50% of the green after a run with HLVG, as I prefer a little bit of it too.

• Like 1

I also couldn't resist it either Adam. If i get banned too at least myself and Brendan can keep each other company 😋

My style is definitely closer to the 'over-processed' end of the scale though 😬

NB_NGC7000_CoD.thumb.jpg.edc15dd76f89943a3b9e657221c5d407.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hmmm, don’t think they are a stacking defect, looks like flattener spacing, or sensor tilt issue, I get same on my scope, and it’s sensor tilt...

Great image all the same.... 👍😀

Hi Stuart.

I ran the Ha data through APP again, this time I chose the right settings.  I am combining data from two sources, both fairly different focal lengths, and without choosing dynamic distortion correction in APP, the stars dont get properly aligned.  I have try to demonstrate that below.  There may well be some tilt on my scopes (if you see what's hanging off my stock SW focusers!) but here it the stacking to blame.

star-shapes.gif

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Xiga said:

I also couldn't resist it either Adam. If i get banned too at least myself and Brendan can keep each other company 😋

My style is definitely closer to the 'over-processed' end of the scale though 😬

NB_NGC7000_CoD.thumb.jpg.edc15dd76f89943a3b9e657221c5d407.jpg

There needs to be a slider in PS, the 'COD' slider that does this to an image when it's 99% finished.  I always feel my 'finished' images need that little contrast boost, and that looks the ticket, and you have suppressed the noise too.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

There needs to be a slider in PS, the 'COD' slider that does this to an image when it's 99% finished.  I always feel my 'finished' images needs that little contrast boost, and that looks the ticket, and you have suppressed the noise too.

🤣 The problem with that Adam is i would end up trying to crank the slider to 150%

I actually didn't do any NR on the jpg at all. I think what you are seeing is just the noise being more hidden due to the lower overall brightness. In fact, about 75% of the impact came from just a simple s curve adjustment. This brought down the brightness in the lower-left of the image, and allowed the wall to stand out more. After that it was just a few tweaks - a touch of the clarity slider in camera raw, one of Annie's Actions to reduce star bloat, some selective colour adjustments to add back in more green, some de-saturation (to all colours except green, as there wasn't much to begin with), and finally a bit of Topaz Detail in just the wall itself. 

@Xiga thanks for the tips.  I ran through the processes as you described (loosely!) and have an improved V2 version.  I dialled back a little on the contrast, just personal preference.

NB_NGC7000v2.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
added another finished version!
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Xiga said:

Looks good Adam 👍 

Think you were right to dial back the contrast. After 6 or so craft beers I think I went a bit overboard last night 🤪

Good man!  I can feel your pain today with the kids 🤣

• Haha 1