NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turn left at Orion book

Hi all, hope you are all well and safe. So after posting at the weekend and ordering my first ever telescope - a skywalker heritage 130p which I am very excited to receive in the post (takes 3 weeks to arrive), I am now reading this book. 😊 I am very confused with names, numbers, acronyms, coding system. But I'm sure in 6 months I'll be more knowledgeable than I am now in all things star gazing. 

Thanks for all your recommendations on this book. The only downside for me is the size of it - it's a crazy format and in my opinion too big to carry around. Other than that it looks fantastic 👍😁

IMG_20200603_174433.jpg

Combine this with the A5 spiral bound book, the Sky and telescope's pocket sky atlas. It is nice and small to take outside with you. The book is spiral bound so the pages stay open while you observe. Also the pages are slightly glossy so they don't really get damp/get soggy.

• Like 2

Hi that's a great book here is how I use mine look at the pages for the month's your in then I write a list of what I want to look at in the parts of the sky I can see from my garden this saves you have to take the book outside 

If it like mine out of date here are the up to date pages

https://www.cambridge.org/turnleft/

This is another good one to use 

https://telescopius.com/

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

Combine this with the A5 spiral bound book, the Sky and telescope's pocket sky atlas. It is nice and small to take outside with you. The book is spiral bound so the pages stay open while you observe. Also the pages are slightly glossy so they don't really get damp/get soggy.

+1 for this atlas. I've owned it for 4 years now and it has proved an invaluable companion to my deep sky exploring :thumbright:

2 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Fully agree with that, the S&T sits with my eyepieces and is dog eared and worn, much loved.

Understand what you say on Turn Left being a big book,
but just use it anyway, if it gets worn and torn does it really matter?

• Like 2

A good thing to do with the sky atlas is to make yourself some field of view circles based on the eye pieces you use. I made some out of plastic tubes. That way you can place the tube over the page and you can see what you should see through the eye piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1