NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are these binoculars any good for a newbie?

Hi everyone, a stargazing newbie here. 

I'm considering to get a 10x50 for my first ever pair of binoculars, I had browsed the forum and seems like that's the most popular one. I was considering 7x50 as well but unsure which one I should pick. 
I've had my eyes on Orion Scenix 10x50, Pentax 10x50 SP, Nikon Aculon 10x42 CF or Olympus 10x50 DPS. Are those any good for complete newbie? Or is there a brand there that people tend to avoid? Budget is £100 max. 

In terms of tripods for binoculars (if getting bigger ones) are they universal or does one type only fits specific models?

The goal is to get familiar with the night sky and objects, and then maybe move on to a telescope in 1-2 years. Any advice to get started is welcome! Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've seen the Olympus recommended but I don't know it or the others personally, but all are well known brands. Ideally you'd want a pair that are waterproof given it may pick up condensation on cool/cold nights. A tripod socket would be ideal too since any bino will benefit from being stable to get the best views with them. You may find for hand-held use an 8x is easier to keep steady and also have a wider field of view. Generally at the low price end a porro type will be brighter than a roof prism design but you may get lucky and find a bargain.

If you check the specs on the ones you're interested, what Field of View do they list? The wider the better, older 10x tended to be 5 degrees, some newer ones are 6.5 or more which will let you see more, personally I've a pair of Minolta and they're 6.6 degree and are nice to use.

Tripod/monopods you would usually need a mounting bracket to use, something like this one if the bino has a tripod socket
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opticron-Binocular-Tripod-Mount-Binoculars/dp/B005F51HE8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=binocular+tripod+bracket&qid=1589954531&sr=8-1

If you need to buy then you'll want one that can raise the bino to above eye level if you want to see objects but you could add a trigger-grip ball head to make panning around easier which will also add height. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-177-cm-Pistol-Grip-Tripod/dp/B01LQX0P8Q/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ball+head+trigger&qid=1589954711&sr=8-12

Can't vouch for the tripod but the ball head is a clone of the old Manfrotto 222 which I do have so should do the job.

so true, I picked up my Minolta's used for the princely sum of £22, waterproof, fully multi-coated and they're excellent. A lot depends on the confidence in buying used and getting a good pair though or being able to fix up if they need it. Luckily these didn't need anything doing to them at all :) 

G'day @doublebacon and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

This is my binoculars...

post-4682-0-36306500-1445866821_thumb.jpg.757bd596989253acbfdbeb380f979e56.jpg  post-4682-0-32308400-1445866920_thumb.jpg.c0b1c23e89dd3188337b1a9403d37110.jpg 

...7x50 (left/top) and 20x80 (right/bottom).

You can use any photo tripod, (mine is the Manfrotto 055PROB). with any suitable head. The head in the images is one of the popular joystick/trigger grip/ballhead - the fitting is 3/8" - you can also use a monopod and head. You may also need a reducer if the tripod/monopod is 1/4"

If you do not have either a tripod or monopod at present; use an inverted soft broom/brush, (wrap the head in some soft material), and secure the binoculars to the head with a short bungee cord. Or you could make a simple pole with a suitable length of broom handle/curtain pole/dowel and an 'L' bracket. 

An alternative mount, though expensive, is the parallelogram. They can also be used for mounting spotting scopes and small telescopes... plus the comfort benefit of using from a chair or lounger. :bino2:  

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I can't really go wrong with 8x or 10x as they seem to be pretty versatile.  

@DaveL59 Looks like the waterproof ones are priced higher. Nikon Aculon isn't waterproof but Action EX such as this, is waterproof. There are some more info about the specs at the bottom.

https://www.digidirect.com.au/nikon-action-ex-10x50-cf-binoculars?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk62YkM_D6QIV057CCh1r7Q8YEAYYBSABEgJOAvD_BwE

@Philip R I do have a photo tripod so I would probably need to buy an adapter as well once I know which binos I'm getting! 

• Thanks 1

I think for our use waterproof is worth the extra as they won't mist up internally during colder nights leading to later problems. The Nikon Action EX should be good, if I recall quite a few use them successfully. With a tripod adaptor screwed into the front hinge on your camera tripod you're good to go. Probably don't need the Nikon one as its quite pricey compared to say the opticron one which I believe should fit it - others may be able to confirm this.

Hi everyone, thought I'd do a little update. I decided to get Nikon Action Ex 8x40. It came in the mail today. Can't wait to get out of town and try it out!

Hope to learn with this now and maybe I can get a telescope in the future. 

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

20200528_185200.jpg

• Like 5

We started with a pair of 8x40 Binoculars, not as good quality as those but it got us going, then we took the plunge and bought the telescope, Unfortunately Work and circumstances took over, but now we are back and eager to progress with astronomy. Even standing outside at darkness is different, just looking up. I'm sure the binoculars will be great. I have learned to keep expectations under control. I think our first expectation was something like ' We'll get a telescope then we'll be able to see wonderful sights like the ones we see from Hubble"  The sights we see are infact wonderful, but not Hubble :-). Once you have a little background too it just keeps getting better. I would say that this is the hobby which never stops giving even though I am feelling the learning curve quite steep. We are a few weeks into our renewed interest and it really does get better every day. I think I will keep a beginners Journal.

1 hour ago, doublebacon said:

Hi everyone, thought I'd do a little update. I decided to get Nikon Action Ex 8x40. It came in the mail today. Can't wait to get out of town and try it out!

Hope to learn with this now and maybe I can get a telescope in the future. 

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

20200528_185200.jpg

Have you, or do they come with an 'L' brcket? - if not then you will need one, to attach the binoculars to your tripod head/mount.

If you remove/unscrew the 'Nikon' badge/disc; (in front of the hinge); it should reveal a female thread to attach the securing bolt on the 'L' bracket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Have you, or do they come with an 'L' brcket? - if not then you will need one, to attach the binoculars to your tripod head/mount.

If you remove/unscrew the 'Nikon' badge/disc; (in front of the hinge); it should reveal a female thread to attach the securing bolt on the 'L' bracket.

Nope, but I've ordered one separately! I was looking round and round where I could attach the mount, if only I had seen your post sooner! I found it in the end, felt so silly after lol 😅

Kind of glad that I went with this one, it does feel a bit heavy after holding it up for a while. But the tripod should help 🙂

• Thanks 1