Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North America and Pelican Nebulae

carastro

Started imaging at 1.30 am on two nights to get this by the time it rose above the house getting to bed after 4.30 am.   
Taken from Home in SE London Bortle 8.  A lot of cloud spoiled the subs on the 2nd night when I got the colour.

Samyang 135mm F2.8, & Atik 460EX
HEQ5
Ha 16 x 600
Oiii 2 x 300 binned x 2 (clouds spoiled the other 6)
Sii 6x 300 binned x 2
RGB for stars 8 at 150 each
Total imaging time 4 hours 20mins

NB: Cropped version lower down.  This is the full frame to show stars out to the corners. 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 26

You've got to be loving that lens 

I do.

Unusual colour scheme

Hubble palette Gina.  The blue might be a bit Teal but if I tried to adjust it to a bluer colour the nebulosity seemed to fade.

Carole 

• Like 2

That is simply gorgeous and makes me seriously regret selling my same lens before even using it.  Might I ask how you tackle focusing on a lens like this? Also how critical would you say guiding is for a lens this fast? I have the ASI1600M cmos camera so was wondering if the fast lens+short exposures might negate the need for it, not to mention negating the need for a heath robinson guidescope mounting solution.

Edited by Notty

That is simply gorgeous and makes me seriously regret selling my same lens before even using it.  Might I ask how you tackle focusing on a lens like this? Also how critical would you say guiding is for a lens this fast? I have the ASI1600M cmos camera so was wondering if the fast lens+short exposures might negate the need for it, not to mention negating the need for a heath robinson guidescope mounting solution.

Thank you. 

I would imagine with the ASI cameras and the ability to take short exposures and the fast lens you probably could get away without guiding, I would certainly plan to do that myself if I take it on holiday and have to use a travel mount which won't guide.

As regards focus, I have in the past found lens focussing quite difficult, so I bought myself about 18 months ago (with my old lenses) a finely cut Bahtinov mask (see below).  This works very well, but always with a lens there is a tendency to nudge the focus especially if you have to put a dew heater on it.  So I bought the Astrokraken microfocusser and mounting brackets which make focussing really ease to do and to lock.  (Excuse the parcel tape = my Heath Robinson method of attaching the Square Bahtinov plate to a collar so it would fit over the lens, however to my delight I find it fits exactly inside the dew Hood and so I don't even had to take that off to focus. 

Astrokraken microfocusser.JPG

Astrokraken rings.JPG

This is it mounted on my rig.

HTH 

Carole 

IMG_1146.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1