Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 upgrade bolts

Well I am stumped I ordered the HEQ5 latitude upgrade bolts the one that has a ratchet on the long bolt , when fitting the bolt it gets jammed on the polar scope  then the red button broke off , so I got another this one was shorter and same thing I get to 50 Degs and it gets jammed on polar scope again , I don't want to brake my polar scope 

all I can think is that my 9 year old HEQ5 is different to the new HEQ5 ? So back to the original bolts and hope they dont bend 

I normally have to remove the dust cap to turn the rear latitude bolt.  Once I have done the adjustments I simple turn the ratchet away from the Dust cap.  I am at 51 degrees.   Have you got a photo.  My HEQ5 is about 7 - 8 years old. 

Can I ask y u wanted to upgrade the bolts?

Was oringinal ones rusted? Bent? Or u wanted one with better hand knobs?

Most people replace them as the originals are inclined to bend.  

12 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

Can I ask y u wanted to upgrade the bolts?

Was oringinal ones rusted? Bent? Or u wanted one with better hand knobs?

Joejaguar 

Hi Joe I read that they bend so wanted to upgrade

12 hours ago, carastro said:

I normally have to remove the dust cap to turn the rear latitude bolt.  Once I have done the adjustments I simple turn the ratchet away from the Dust cap.  I am at 51 degrees.   Have you got a photo.  My HEQ5 is about 7 - 8 years old. 

I do remove to cap but it hits the polar scope lens at about 50 degs and this bolt has been made shorter by the guy for me the threaded part is 70mm long 

IMG-20200306-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Neil H

I wonder if these photos I just took for you will help.  I think my bolt is shorter than yours, and possibly the ratchet is less bulky too.  

With dust cap on, though I can't really turn it until i have taken it off.

IMG_1124.JPG

With dust cap removed.  

IMG_1125.JPG

My latitude

IMG_1126.JPG

Edited by carastro

I put yours and mine side by side in Photoshop.  There does seem to be a slightly bigger gap in mine and my bolt is shorter.

However it could just be because the photos were taken at a different angle.  Can you photograph yours at the same angle as mine?

His and Mine.jpg

Edited by carastro

I tried to cut first bolt down in length I put the red button in line with the drop down handle of the original bolt to get the length so it would miss the polar scope but that made it to short to work the latitude , so when the guy made a new bolt for me I took off a fair few mm but this still didn't help 

If it's not to much of a pain could you measure the thread length of your bolt please  I can cut this one down to your size and try it 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Ya ok I see

That happened to my oringinal eq6 too had a small bend after I tightened it down, I try not to over tighten them now.

But better bolts are good idea

I think carastro has the right answer if yours can do that too.

Can u cut an inch off yours looks bit longer I agree that's too close

Your degrees never changes unless u travel far. But I had times I travel 2 to 3 hrs away and I still didnt change the latitude since it was still close enough 

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

I don't really want to remove the bolt to measure it if that's what you mean, but I am happy to measure the amount of bolt showing between the mount and the ratchet, then you can compare it to yours.

Carole   

I just looked at it again, and superimposed your bolt onto my picture.  Even if you cut down the length of the bolt (marked at C, your ratchet is a whole lot bigger than mine from A - B

I think this is where your main problem lies.  Unfortunately I bought my bolts a long time ago and I think the company that does them doesn't operate any more.  Though I could be wrong.

Let me know if you still need the measurement? 

Carole 

His and Mine & T.jpg

Edited by carastro

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I would cut 10mm off that bolt then try it again if it still catches but is very close cut another 5mm then that should fit. Saves money takes a couple of minutes. 

Hi Paul I may try that I have nothing to loose 

It might just work cutting a bit more off, but I think you might have virtually no room to adjust the latitude.  Glad to hear 365 do replacement bolts, didn't know about those, though hopefully I won't have to buy any again.

Carole   

9 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

Just a thought , what is the length of the bolt on the other side?

Is it worth swapping them over.

Hi I don't think it will work as the bolt with ratchet on will hit balance weight , so either I cut it down or try and find different upgrade bolts 

I replaced all my bolts with 70mm long stainless steel M10 hex bolts. I just use a combination spanner to adjust. I was fed up with the stock ones catching my cable loom.

IMG_0414.thumb.jpg.a50dea4c33ae2b32016a5b90f40ca508.jpg

I radius-ed the ends on my bench grinder. 

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 3

I got my HEQ5 last autumn. The latitude bolts are all steel with no ratchet. The handle. which is also steel. is hinged so in order to pass the polarscope you have to flip it over. They are pretty stiff but otherwise I've had no problem with them.

It's a shame that there is no third party  Modern Astronomy "rail" type conversion available for the HEQ5, ( AFAIK ).

I recently fitted one to my EQ6Pro, and it has totally transformed the adjustment process.  It cured the basic design fault at its exact source, with a pivoting cylinder pushing up a ramp against the angled cast "tab", eliminating the bending/sliding action as the Alt is increased to high altititudes. 

It was quite expensive, (by my tight-fisted standards), but very well made and delivered immediately.

eq6rail.jpg

Hi well that looks nice , it reminds me of what wookie1965 had done to his mount , I do lift the mount to take pressure off the bolt as I adjust the angle , so touch wood it may not bend, but I am looking at different upgrade bolts just waiting for an answer as will they fit HEQ5