SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 upgrade bolts

By freakish coincidence, I also bought these bolts recently and had them delivered only 2 days ago. I got them on my HEQ5 today (which I bought used and is the older kind with no green).

The ratchet bolt is very very close to the polar scope and I can no longer fit the cap on. It does work however so I'm fairly satisfied. They are certainly easier to adjust than the stock bolts.

I took a picture earlier to show off my cable management to a friend and you can make out the ratchet in it if it helps at all. As you can see it is practically touching the polar scope. I'm at 52°.

IMG-20200315-WA0007.jpeg

Here's mine, prolly won't help you much, looks like you've already established that yours is too long.

They're a good upgrade tho, my original bolts were getting bent. Got mine off ebay 3-4 years ago, just had a look back but ebay only lets me go back to 2018, sorry.

IMG_2385.JPG

• 2 months later...

An M10 Allen bolt would be a good solution. No need to use a spanner for adjustment which is not so easy at night. Ball bar Allen keys allow access in tight spots.

I bought my HEQ5 from RVO. The instructions didn’t say if the longer bolt goes above/below the mount. That is because it depends upon your latitude. RVO looked at their showroom model and gave advice. It was the opposite of what you need to do because the longer bolt goes in further so looks shorter!

The type of handle is called a Bristol handle. They are used on machinery. Examples are available from Axminster for a few quid. The bolt lengths do need to be considered.

If anyone has a bolt that needs to be shortened, they can be cut with a hacksaw e.g. put a nut over the thread, cut the bolt and clean up the end with a file, finally undo the nut to cleanup the thread.

Simon