NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hind's Crimson Star 2020

From the r.j.s. observatory, an image of the gorgeous, ruby-red carbon star named Hind's Crimson Star (R Leporis). It was named after the British astronomer John Russell Hind who first observed it in 1845. The star is a variable red giant 1,360 light-years away in the constellation of Lepus, the Hare. It has an over-abundance of carbon in its outer layers due to the break down of helium in its dying core which gives the star its stunning red appearance. It has a 14-month variable period and appears most red when it is dim. The second image shows how to find Hind's which is just below the constellation of Orion. You will need a telescope to see it because it is very dim. A reflector telescope will work best, giving you a wide field of view. If you search the general area depicted in the photo with your telescope, you should be able to find it fairly easily.  

1375323404_ASTRONOMY-HINDSCRIMSONSTAR1-31-19SM.thumb.jpg.2f0a9ed3b6bfd8fbb8aa4067bc4eb346.jpg

660016898_ASTRONOMY-HINDSCRIMSONSTARREGION2-22-20CAPTIONSM.thumb.jpg.b8db7cc82e369c236d7552dc827c12f6.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie :) 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Alan White said:

I will struggle with this at the present as Orion is headed well West and low once dark.
The worst direction for blocked horizon due to trees etc.
Something for the next year list.

For me, the best time to see it is from December to March with a decent south horizon. It's a worthwhile target :) 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2020 at 11:16, leibek said:

if grimson star is a red giant his nerar of his collapse and death. somday she will disappear from the dskies its only a matter odf time.

babye.

lolz👽

I'm going to look at it for as long as I can! ;)

• Like 1

I was regularly observing this earlier in the season, but sadly it's too far west for my horizon now.

I shall be looking forward to it's reappearance in the autumn.

Those of you who can still see it, enjoy the views.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I love this star visually, but have never had much luck photgraphically. I can never seem to get the correct star colours when taking pictures. Maybe some sort of filter is needed?

Either way, I look for it visually when I can. It's a beautiful sight, although it is a very small star. I find the best description is like a tiny drop of blood on black paper. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 14/02/2023 at 03:46, PHIL53 said:

...and for the summer season, would advise to try and catch another nice little red star,  T Lyrae, not far from Vega (on the opposite side of the famous double/double...) 😉

Boy, were you right, @PHIL53! T Lyrae is a striking red carbon star! I just saw (and imaged) it for the first time Friday night. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Regards,

Reggie

Edited by orion25
  • Like 1