Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomik CLS Filter - Canon EOS clip-fit

saturn5

The clip filters are incredibly simple to use, they hold themselves in place and are very light. I had the chance to try a clip filter but didn't get to first light it as the camera (and filter) went back before the clouds broke :/

@ ian, nope, afaik they are EOS specific unless otherwise stated.

They only fit with EF lens not the EF-S lens i.e. it normally won't work with the stock lens that comes with the kit, although this isn't an issue for prime focus photography. It is possible to modify the 18-55mm lens (and probably others although I'd not fancy doing it to a £400 lens). This is what I did with a hacksaw :hello1: and all the features and functions work 100%. Note this is only intended as information :thumbright:

Lens02.jpg

Lens03.jpg

Lens04.jpg

My light pollution filter is the Hutech 2" Idas Filter but my HA is the Astronomik 13nm EOS clip in filter and is very easy to use just pops right inside the camera and can be used with a lens or telescope if I did it again I would get the Astronomik CLS clip in filter then I can switch between HA and RGB without pulling the camera adapter off the scope to put in the 2" Filter, I would just pop of the camera and pop in the clip, then the rotation will be the same for HA and RGB

Les

Hmm now i have both the normal 18-55 and the 18-55 IS i think the non-IS version maybe going to have some surgery...

I think that's a good plan! It's straight forward, in fact I did it on my lunch break from work, just grabbed the hacksaw and that was it! Lot's of 'swarf' though but easily removed with a blower.

• 2 weeks later...

Postman Pat finally delivered my filter yesterday... I new the "jess" threat would work..posted 1st class on Monday... I haven't had a chance to try it in anger yet,.. did take a couple of lp test shots of streelights and orange clouds yesterday.. took soem images for Custom WB use today but will probably jsut tweak the tint out in CS or Bridge instead...

I Won't need to modify the "kit" lens though as the AF-Chips Nikon/EOS adaptor works a treat... so why use an EF-S 18-55 when I can use the Nikon AF-S 18-70 instead, or the Sigma 10-20... Sigma 180mm f3.5 APO , Nikon 70-300 VRII... :hello2:

Billy...

hello everyone,

i bought a astronomik cls ccd eos filter for my canon 400d the other day used it the other night "excellent" whereas before getting pink skies and trying to pull out the dso was a nightmare after the filter black skies i would recommend this filter to anyone

hello everyone,

i bought a astronomik cls ccd eos filter for my canon 400d the other day used it the other night "excellent" whereas before getting pink skies and trying to pull out the dso was a nightmare after the filter black skies i would recommend this filter to anyone

Hi

See your comment on black skies, but does it help pull out the fuzzies...sorry DSOs?

Thanks

Danny

The filters work by blocking the skyglow from the streetlights , improving the contrast between the DSO and the background and allowing you to take longer subs without the LP buring out the sky background...

Pretty much essential in most of the UK

Billy....

Hi Billy, yep I know how they work and I have 1.25 Baader .... as you say a must for the UK!

I just wanted to know how well these particular filters work in the field, sorry wasn't very clear

Cheers

Danny

Archived