Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2017 T2 PanSTARRS at double cluster

Hi all,

My first capture of a comet and pretty exited about it! Definitely makes you think!

Love to get back to this rock in couple months to get a composition with the H&S nebula and hopefully with a bit more brightness. Curious at how it will look then!

This was just over two hours of imaging using the stock Nikon d610 and TS72 apo.

Mounted and guided with the Star adventurer.

The image is a blend of two stacks, one aligned for the stars and one for the comet. Stacking was done in DSS.

Ken

1282473217_Perseuspannstarsstars.thumb.jpg.6dd7bfe25137f02a6b70f7b7893b71ea.jpg

• Like 20

23 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Excellent Ken, I took some shots of it around the same time but haven't gotten around to looking at them yet.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Yeah I was too excited about the comet so the processing went rather quickly :) 

Hope you get some good data. What equipment did you use?

Ken

On 19/02/2020 at 11:56, Z3roCool said:

Wow, that is brilliant. Going to have a go at this.

I live in a pretty LP area. Normally shoot NB. Have got LRGB filters, do you think it will be worth it with a 1600MM and 400 camera lens?

Definitely worth it yes. You can also wait until May when the comet is at its brightest.

Ken

13 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Definitely worth it yes. You can also wait until May when the comet is at its brightest.

Ken

Gave it a go last night. Was just happy to find it! Only took a few minutes data in LRGB as not much time. Can just about make it out I think?

Will for sure have a go later in the year when brighter and also have more time to get data on it. Will have to work out how to do the processing for the stars and comet separately.

PANSTARRS_1-XL.jpg

Edited by Z3roCool
  • Like 2