NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Out with the old.....

Hi Folks, 

I thought I'd start a conversation, if I had some friends around here that were also into star gazing, its the sort of chat I'd have over a pint :)

So about two years ago, when I was just getting into this amazing hobby, I purchased a eq5 goto (used) and a brand new skywatcher 200pds. I known now, what I can hear you all saying... "that's too heavy for an EQ5!"  I made an uninformed goof! 

So now I am the owner of a Skywatcher 72ED and love it, I've started imaging with it on a used sky adventure. Really enjoying this set up. 

Here's the thing, I still enjoy doing visual astronomy and switch between the two. I'm thinking of selling the 200pds and treating myself to a more suitable scope for the eq5. I enjoy viewing DSOs and it would be nice to have a scope that adds something a bit more powerful than the 72Ed and could also be used for astrophotography. I'd thought about downsizing the 200 to a 130pds but would welcome your thoughts. 

Looking forward to your suggestions. 

BTW love this forum, wish I'd known about it a long time ago. 

Thanks 

Simon 

• Like 1

I don’t think a 200PDS is to heavy for an EQ5, I used that setup for a couple of years.....however, f you have the dosh, why not future proof and upgrade the mount to an EQ6-R-Pro, that way you can keep the light bucket and go even bigger/heavier in the future 

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Thanks 1

I agree to for visual that scope and mount fit. It sold like that for many years but to image u may need eq6.

Ok heres another thought what about a 8 inch sct its same size but it's only 1/4 length and that makes a big difference with vibrations and easier for the motors in imaging.

It's  also much lighter then the 200 model. Altho still the 8 inch sct should ride on a heq5 this ota is much easier than what u got now size and weight. 

So you are better off this way and are much closer to the ideal size weight ratio

• Thanks 1

I'll go old school with my suggestion.

I would continue using the 72ED but you could put it on the EQ5 for more stability and develop that into a very competent AP setup so you really gain experience on it.

Then, for visual just buy yourself an 8" or 10" dobsonian which will give you excellent deep sky views. You could use this while the AP rig is running.

If that doesn't float your boat, then the 130PDS does seem to be a very highly thought of scope for AP and should sit well on the EQ5. There is a huge thread on here about imaging with this scope which may be worth a read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Ujjjnn=jjjThanks for all the suggestions Chaps, 

How do you feel about mounting the 200pds on an Heq5. I'd love to go for the EQ6 but alas, I have a wedding to pay for this year! 

Can’t the wedding wait 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

How do you feel about mounting the 200pds on an Heq5. I'd love to go for the EQ6 but alas, I have a wedding to pay for this year! 

Invite a few less people to pay for the mount. 😁 Sacrifices must be made.

Hi Simon, like me I started with that EQ5 and a 200p for visual and found it ok. It was only when  I started to try and do astrophotography with it I realised it was not up to the job. So I purchased an EQ6R-Pro and the difference was unbelievable. Unfortunately that was not the end of it for me, as I have to set up and strip down everytime I found that I needed to fiddle with the 200P's collimation constantly. I have now purchased a refractor and haven't looked back.

@Stu made a very good point about mounting your 72ED on the EQ5 and getting experience in astrophotography before spending more money on something you may regret later.

Good luck with the wedding.

Mark

9 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

It probably be ok but not great the tube length more and weight of it will be hard even on heq5.

If u really want imaging with that scope should be eq6. U dont want to get a heq5 then figure it's pretty much the limit of that scope sell it lose money then buy a eq5.

The 8 inch sct could go on heq5 and be ok

Joejaguar 

Simon,

I went straight to the EQ6 thought it would last me a long time, which it should, it's a bit of a lump though to be lifting in and out everytime. My retirement pressy to myself in a couple of years will be a permenant set up.

Regards

Mark

14 hours ago, Dinglem said:

Simon,

I went straight to the EQ6 thought it would last me a long time, which it should, it's a bit of a lump though to be lifting in and out everytime. My retirement pressy to myself in a couple of years will be a permenant set up.

Regards

Mark

I leave mine set up outside under a Telegizmos 365 cover, no issues whatsoever