NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to find drive belt ring.

banjaxed

I posted a similar post in the wanted section without success so I thought this place would be more suitable. The auto focuser on my Skymak 127 is driven by a round section belt which is similar to an O ring but unlike an O ring it needs to be flexible. Searches in all areas have produced nothing suitable so I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

I posted a similar post in the wanted section without success so I thought this place would be more suitable. The auto focuser on my Skymak 127 is driven by a round section belt which is similar to an O ring but unlike an O ring it needs to be flexible. Searches in all areas have produced nothing suitable so I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Have you got a picture ?

Dave

Unfortunately I haven’t got a picture as I have lost the original belt. The best way to describe it is it is exactly the same as an O ring but needs to be flexible. The size is about 50/60 mm diameter and 2 mm thick.

No, it is just a smooth round section rubber ring. I have found plenty of O rings but they are not flexible enough.

2 minutes ago, haitch said:

So basically an untoothed belt? Or... a reversed toothed belt using its smooth side?

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Try Technobots. Thet should have one that will fit.

https://www.technobotsonline.com/pulley-belts.html

Thanks for the link John, it looks promising as the other O ring suppliers said that nitrile rubber is not very flexible and Technobots say theirs are suitable for drive belts. Maybe a different grade of nitrile ?

I will give them a try.

Just now, banjaxed said:

Thanks Dave, could you let me have more details or a link please.

Spent a long time looking for an O ring for a filter wheel a while ago and could only find them in USA, luckily my nephew works there and bought some ( had to buy minimum of 6 ) and fetched them home with him.

2mm is not a common size, probably be 1.5mm standard.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Spent a long time looking for an O ring for a filter wheel a while ago and could only find them in USA, luckily my nephew works there and bought some ( had to buy minimum of 6 ) and fetched them home with him.

2mm is not a common size, probably be 1.5mm standard.

Dave

Hi Dave, I am only guessing the diameter so 1.5 mm is probably ok. Looks like I can use Nitrile O rings after all as the link John posted states they are suitable for drive belts.

Got this one 60mm diameter by 1.5mm, quite flexible and you're welcome to it, at least might get you up and running and give you a size starting point.

If you want it PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post.

Dave

O-Ring.png.e4e6c090f5ecb05229d2f1382aa0e518.png

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Thanks again Julian, Davy-T has kindly offered to send me the belt he pictured above which if not the exact one will give a much better idea of the size.

I ordered a lot of different O-rings for my PST etalon motor drive system.
42-50mm x 1.5mm all from UK suppliers found online from a search for O-rings
Every single one was too thin at 1.5mm diameter!  :crybaby2:

9 minutes ago, Rusted said:

I ordered a lot of different O-rings for my PST etalon motor drive system.
42-50mm x 1.5mm all from UK suppliers found online from a search for O-rings
Every single one was too thin at 1.5mm diameter!  :crybaby2:

I did the same but mine were all too thin at about 0.5 mm  🙄

• Like 1