NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help me identify this planet

hmda1

Every evening after 7 pm I see this bright looking object in the night sky here in Romania. Around early evening, it is in the East and moving to south. By mid-night, it almost reaches half way (or a little more) south. I assume it is a planet, I wonder which?! Can anyone help? See the pictures.  planet photo1 planet photo2

Edited by hmda1

I agree it's probably not a planet, but I don't think it will be Betelgeuse at the moment because it is quite dim.  I'd suggest perhaps Sirius or Procyon, the latter perhaps being the better bet given the description of its position.

James

There are a number of stars this could be, it depends how high in the sky it is.

I just checked on Stellarium (free software) and changed the location to Romania, and it looks like it is Sirius, the brightest star in the sky (easily mistaken for a planet if you didn't know your Astronomy).

Carole 

Thanks everyone! It is Sirius for sure as it is on south-west of Alnitak. Stellarium is quite helpful. Definitely I need to learn some basic Astronomy while having trouble identifying the Sirius :)

• Like 3

It is Sirius for sure as it is on south-west of Alnitak. Stellarium is quite helpful. Definitely I need to learn some basic Astronomy while having trouble identifying the Sirius :)

Well done, first piece of the jigsaw learnt.  

Carole 

• Like 2

Get yourself Stellarium if you haven't already, and just learn some of the main constellations and the very brightest stars and that will be sufficient to start with.  The planets change position so you can't learn them.  They get their name from the Greek for Wanderer.

Carole 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 21:53, carastro said:

Well done, first piece of the jigsaw learnt.  

Carole 

Carole, just now I noticed about 10 or more moving objects, as small as stars, moving from West to East of the Sky. I wonder if anyone has noticed them. Objects had considerable space between them but all in one row. I wonder what they were?

Edited by hmda1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Sounds like Elon Musk's damn satellites which are going to be a real pain to Astronomy once they all go up.

Carole  

Yeah... probably I've missed seeing the other 50 ;)