Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem linking mount to PHD2

Hello,

I am currently having 2 issues getting my first scope and guide rig up and running. 

This issue is with regards to getting my Orion Sirius EQ-G mount with SynScan handset linked to PHD2.

I have installed the ASCOM drivers that have been advised (on PHD2 website) should work with all SynScan handsets however I do not see the device on my laptop and cannot connect via PHD2 wizard.

I am new to all of this but some starter questions:

- I have an ethernet cable that was going to be used to connect guide camera to mount but reading on the subject suggests it is better to go via ASCOM. I am using the same ethernet cable to connect to my laptop... is the right? The seems to be the only free input on mount.

- Are there any other drivers that I should use or anything else I should look for... other drivers I should have but maybe don't?

- Other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Lance

58 minutes ago, Lancebloke said:

I am using the same ethernet cable to connect to my laptop

Hi

Are you sure it's an ethernet cable? It maybe a st4 cable to connect your guide camera to the mount.

Do you have the correct cables to join the handset to the computer? If you wish to retain the handset, you'll need a USB to serial cable to complete the connection. Or -better- lose the handset and connect the mount directly to the computer using an eqdir cable. You'll also need eqascom on top of Ascom.

Maybe some photos of what you have may help us to get you started.

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Are you sure it's an ethernet cable? It maybe a st4 cable to connect your guide camera to the mount.

Do you have the correct cables to join the handset to the computer? If you wish to retain the handset, you'll need a USB to serial cable to complete the connection. Or -better- lose the handset and connect the mount directly to the computer using an eqdir cable. You'll also need eqascom on top of Ascom.

Maybe some photos of what you have may help us to get you started.

Cheers

You are right... it was an ST4 not and ethernet.

I had been connecting from the mount to my laptop. Should I connect from the handset instead?

I have an ST4 to RS232 cable already. If I get an RS232 to USB adapter would that work? Not sure of the best way to connect laptop to control the mount.

Knobby - It wasnt showing as connected at all so I couldnt tell which port.

27 minutes ago, Lancebloke said:

Not sure of the best way to connect laptop to control the mount.

The best way is to get an EQDir cable which directly connects the mount to your computer. Going through the handset with the USB/serial cable just adds potential issues. Can you post a picture of how you have been trying to connect as I cant quite picture it from your description.

11 hours ago, Lancebloke said:

If I get an RS232 to USB adapter would that work?

Yes. You'll need the spare cable (SC) that came with the hand controller which is usually used when updating the firmware in the handset.

Cabling

• Mount to handset as normal.
  • SC into handset
  • SC other end to RS232
  • RS232 to USB on computer

But I'd still recommend the eqdir cable.

If you need further help, please send photos of your setup, otherwise we're guessing.

HTH

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lancebloke said:

Hello,

I am currently having 2 issues getting my first scope and guide rig up and running. 

This issue is with regards to getting my Orion Sirius EQ-G mount with SynScan handset linked to PHD2.

I have installed the ASCOM drivers that have been advised (on PHD2 website) should work with all SynScan handsets however I do not see the device on my laptop and cannot connect via PHD2 wizard.

I am new to all of this but some starter questions:

- I have an ethernet cable that was going to be used to connect guide camera to mount but reading on the subject suggests it is better to go via ASCOM. I am using the same ethernet cable to connect to my laptop... is the right? The seems to be the only free input on mount.

- Are there any other drivers that I should use or anything else I should look for... other drivers I should have but maybe don't?

- Other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Lance

With the cabling you already have I suggest that you connect the cameras ST4 port to the mounts ST4 port using the supplied ST4 cable. In PHD2 select the correct guide camera type and select "on camera" for the mount. 

Thanks all,

I will get hold of the suggested cables and give it another go.

I think my handset may not have shipped with the latest firmware so I will get that updated when I get the cables too.

Lance

Edited by Lancebloke

Ok. I have made some progress here.

I have a USB to RS232 adapter and I have managed to connect PHD2 to the synscan handset, however it will not connect directly to the mount.

I have assigned that USB port to COM1 and been in to ASCOM to tell it my mount will be COM1 (I was previously getting an error saying COM Port cannot be empty). 

It is now looking for COM1 but cannot see a Skywatcher mount there. Seems fine when I connect to the port on the handset though. 

Is there a separate set of drivers for the mount itself that I should have? 

Thanks,

Lance

12 minutes ago, Lancebloke said:

Where should I plug the USB in to then? I am connected to the auto guide camera via my laptop... where do I connect to the mount?

You have two options.

1. Connect the cameras ST4 to the mount's autoguider port and select ST4 guiding in PHD2 and EQMod.  The guide commands are sent to the mount through the ST4 cable. or
2. Remove the ST4 cable from the equation and select pulseguiding in PHD2 and EQMod. The guide commands are sent to the mount via the handset. 

20200126_132117.jpg.234c86bed1eec2af31bb3301d27ee653.thumb.jpg.57a4eb8a7351f9cd70ec084da2e40c53.jpg

Question. Does the white cable connected the guide port terminate in the RS232 plug in tyour next photo ? If so, the cable should be connected to the smaller port on the handset. That cable is for firmware updates and controlling the mount from a pc.

I am really confused about what I should be doing now!

Yes, the white ST4 is the cable supplied. I have bought an RS232 cable so i can connect it to my laptop. 

I have been informed that the best way to set things up is by connecting the mount to my laptop that has PHD2 on it.

I can get it working by connecting the handset to the laptop, but not the mount. 

Edited by Lancebloke

10 minutes ago, Lancebloke said:

the white ST4

Trying to simplify the options, Remove this cable.

I'm assuming pc direct didn't work so...

Send a photo of the entire cabling you have. This should clearly show the the cables to the mount, the handset and the computer.

Cheers.