SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need to end reliability frustrations! Hardware recommendations

Hi all

My SkyShed Pod observatory has been running for 7 years, and my setup is a PC tower (running 24/7) with an early model Mounthub Pro distributing power and USB. I’ve recently switched to a Lynx Astro EQMOD cable to stop recurring issues with the old Prolific chipset. 

NEQ6 mount - sometimes loses the connection, but keeps running at sidereal

mounthub pro - sometimes needs a reboot to connect

Atik Horizon with Atik Dusk software running over USB2 - stops responding anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours into an imaging run

Atik Infinity or ASI174 guide camera via Dusk or PHD2 - cannot get guiding to start reliably anymore

The setup is becoming increasingly unreliable. With so many things affected, I suspect a USB or power issue either at the PC or the Mounthub. I’m going to try and do some testing with cameras connected directly to the PC (Would probably be wise to use the MountHub’s USB port on the PC to test that). 

My question is, if I do need to replace hardware, what solutions do people find most reliable? E.g. a power/usb/focuser hub at the mount (e.g. Pegasus or mounthub), something like an Eagle PC at the mount, or something else? I’m very busy with work and triathlon training so my time (when skies are actually clear) is precious. 

thanks!

Nick

I have had similar issues. I am experimenting with  a Lenovo Nano M90n Running Windows 10 Pro to sit on top of  the scope, ditching hubs and these integrated solutions completely and simplified USB and power cables.

I get the eagle thing but for the cost I reckon the Nano will do just as well. There are cheaper options but the form factor and build of the M90n  is excellent and no issues so far plus I can use it for other stuff as well.

It might not solve all your issues mind you.. I agree you should be testing testing direct to the laptop .

• Like 1

I used to make up up my own power distribution boxes with USB etc. It worked and very reliably but I wanted things tidier so I switched to the Pegasus Ultimate power box, brilliant piece of hardware that I now use with all my OTA's

• Like 1

May or may not be relevant.  I have a MHPro also.  I was finding my guide camera wasn't connecting sometimes, and then my Atik CCD or QHY9 CCD would stop reading the temperature.  Also EQMOD EQ6 would drop out.  Very frustrating.  Turned out to be two USB cables messing about.  Bought new cables, touch wood, all working well.  I can now turn on my PC, connect all kit, cool camera, platesolve, start guiding and be focused and imaging within 15 minutes.  Before it was an hour of messing about.

• Like 1

Why not give the AP a rest for a while. And do some visual instead. No PC to worry about, sensors , cameras , cables, processing. Just the Sky's through the eyepiece. And maybe when you have more time and money then sort out your AP set up. Visual would make a refreshing change and can be far more relaxing and enjoyable then the high tec  list of problems that you are having at the moment. There is a lot to be said for the relaxation and enjoyment you can have with a basic visual set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chouet said:

My SkyShed Pod observatory has been running for 7 years, ...
The setup is becoming increasingly unreliable.

USB connectors are only designed for indoor use. As are the cheap "network" style connectors to the guider /  handset.

I would suggest the first thing to look at would be ALL these connectors. Not just the ones on the cables, but the ones on the equipment: computer, mount, handset as well. Even being gold plated, they are still prone to corrosion, accumulation of dirt and simple wear and tear. It is also doubtful that cheap connectors would have gold plating to anything more than the absolute bare minimum. Just enough to outlive whatever warrant they came with.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pete_l said:

USB connectors are only designed for indoor use. As are the cheap "network" style connectors to the guider /  handset.

I would suggest the first thing to look at would be ALL these connectors. Not just the ones on the cables, but the ones on the equipment: computer, mount, handset as well. Even being gold plated, they are still prone to corrosion, accumulation of dirt and simple wear and tear. It is also doubtful that cheap connectors would have gold plating to anything more than the absolute bare minimum. Just enough to outlive whatever warrant they came with.

I'd agree, esp being in an exposed environment with potential for dew. Worth getting some dielectric grease and give each connector a smear to reduce the effects. Beware tho, silicone grease on your fingers can get messy when handling optics afterwards so gloves you can then dispose of or cleaning wipes after hooking up...

• Like 1

Thanks @DaveL59 - you reminded me I have some quick drying electrical contact cleaner. I vacuumed out the PC tower and cleaned all external contacts. After doing that, I could only start the PC with no USB devices connected, but think I narrowed it down to a couple of bad ports. To test, I’ve run about 48 hours of dark frames without a hitch, so 🤞.

Having looked into the alternatives too, I’ve also ordered a Beelink T45 mini PC to run at the mount. I will set this up for all the imaging, which can then go out into the field too (it’s 12v) which solves a separate problem. The current PC will just run the mount in the obsy, meaning I can restart the imaging PC if necessary without losing the object tracking. 

thanks again all

nick

• Like 1

Do you really need a hub at all? They are probably the biggest single source of reliability problems in our robotic sheds. Several makes have misbehaved and been sent back for repair. An old desktop PC with plenty of USB ports might prove to be more reliable.

Edit: How dry is your pod? The ones I've seen and read about are pretty leaky.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

I have a POD (nearly 10 years now) and yes it leaks at the pivots, but I control this by using a bucket under the pivots when not in use and obviously empty them after a rain fall.  Additionally I have a dehumidifier in there which keeps it nice and dry.  

I use USB extension cables and do long as they are not loose I have no problems with them, and when i am in the field (regular astro camps), I put a big plastic box under the tripod and all the electrics go inside that, and I find it keeps dew off pretty well.  

As regards Hubs, I have had nothing but trouble with them causing disconnections, connection failures even when left set up from the same previous session when everything was working fine.  So I try to avoid hubs.  One reason why I don't use EQMod as I don't have enough ports on one laptop.  However, when I use my dual rig, I use 2 laptops so on those occasions, I can use EQMod if I could be bothered.

I have yet to find a laptop with more than 3 USB ports, so I have with one laptop:

1: EFW

2. Guide camera

3. Imaging camera.

With my dual rig and 2 lap tops it goes as follows:

Laptop A

1. EQMod

2. Camera 1

3. EFW1

Laptop B

1. Guiding 

2. Camera 2

3. EFW 2.

When at home I like to control the software remotely, so I use Team Viewer, but I have yet to try to connect both cameras to Teamviewer, not even sure it is possible, and I don't use fancy software that likes to control everything in one software, as I don't think this would be possible with my set up.

If some-one could point me to a laptop that doesn't cost a fortune and has lots of USB ports and preferably NOT W10, please let me know.

Carole 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 09:07, chouet said:

Hi all

My SkyShed Pod observatory has been running for 7 years, and my setup is a PC tower (running 24/7) with an early model Mounthub Pro distributing power and USB. I’ve recently switched to a Lynx Astro EQMOD cable to stop recurring issues with the old Prolific chipset. 

NEQ6 mount - sometimes loses the connection, but keeps running at sidereal

mounthub pro - sometimes needs a reboot to connect

Atik Horizon with Atik Dusk software running over USB2 - stops responding anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours into an imaging run

Atik Infinity or ASI174 guide camera via Dusk or PHD2 - cannot get guiding to start reliably anymore

The setup is becoming increasingly unreliable. With so many things affected, I suspect a USB or power issue either at the PC or the Mounthub. I’m going to try and do some testing with cameras connected directly to the PC (Would probably be wise to use the MountHub’s USB port on the PC to test that). 

My question is, if I do need to replace hardware, what solutions do people find most reliable? E.g. a power/usb/focuser hub at the mount (e.g. Pegasus or mounthub), something like an Eagle PC at the mount, or something else? I’m very busy with work and triathlon training so my time (when skies are actually clear) is precious. 

thanks!

Nick

Interesting that the OP is having problems in Atik Dusk/Infinity software.  Try this...

There is a 'hidden' local user data folder at C:/ProgramData > Atik > Dusk > Settings (or replace Dusk with Infinity in its similar path, both folders are seperate).  To see it in Windows you will need to go to <View> and tick 'show hidden files'. The contents of this folder  can become corrupt after a computer crash and it isn't fixed by reinstalling the core software. Drove me bonkers for months.

To fix a variety of unexplained glitches, simply delete this <Settings> folder, then reboot computer.  Dusk (or Infinity) will then rebuild it when next opened and restore its integrity. If you want confirmation of this visit Atik's own Horizon forum and view the thread "Version 5.0.0.4 broke my camera".