Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar ED 80mm APO

1 minute ago, willcastle said:

Yeah I would def consider that because mine was like dream quality smoothness. This is my 5th (and most expensive) scope and this has by far had the nicest focussed I have ever seen. I honestly was blown away by the smoothness. Particularly of the fine focuser. The larger wheels were a bit stiffer / more imprecise (as you would expect), but otherwise fine.

Did you buy yours directly from OVL, or from FLO?

Don’t worry. Adjusting the focuser isn’t too technical. It may not feel the smoothest, but it will work just fine. I’ve had a DSLR hanging off an adjusted SW standard focuser without issues.

The ED 80 is a cracking scope for the money. Enjoy.

Paul

• Like 1

Here is the video I was talking about:

If you go to around the 22 minute mark, he talks about the difficulties balancing the scope.

Then in a follow up video the same guy did, he shows the scope on a much much longer dovetail bar whilst also discussing the balancing issue :

• Like 1

Hahaha ouch. Kinda funny and also made me want to cry :’) 

is this your first scope?

Yes!!

First refractor.

All my life wanted to buy a full setup, work, life, commitments etc prevented me from buying one.

This past xmas, kids asked me to get a scope...PERFECT EXCUSE so SWMBO caved in...

Bought a Nexstar 8SE, even though all my life wanted a C11...  :)

Then the bug bit big time...and I went totally mad...

Last week I ordered the ED80mm and a AZ-EQ6 Pro, as I want to get into AP at some point in time in the future...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oymd said:

Yes!!

First refractor.

All my life wanted to buy a full setup, work, life, commitments etc prevented me from buying one.

This past xmas, kids asked me to get a scope...PERFECT EXCUSE so SWMBO caved in...

Bought a Nexstar 8SE, even though all my life wanted a C11...  :)

Then the bug bit big time...and I went totally mad...

Last week I ordered the ED80mm and a AZ-EQ6 Pro, as I want to get into AP at some point in time in the future...

Ah how exciting. You have the dream set up there: a terrific scope for planetary imaging and a superb scope for DSO imaging. And an unbelievable mount. I used to have the NEQ6 but had to sell it a few years ago. But I have just returned to the hobby with my evostar 80ED and a HEQ5. If you have any questions, drop them my way; we can work out some of this stuff together 😆 I’m still a noob too but have a little bit of experience with all of this.... even if I have forgotten a lot 

• Like 1

This is such an upset for the buyer as he pay's his hard earned cash probably saved up for age's or forgave other things and except 100% workmanship, As me in manufacturing if I mess up the buck stops with me and all hell breaks loose, Cannot fault the supplier as they buy in good faith that the product is 100% maybe the importer i.e OVL should QC all the goods they receive before sending on to the retailer as this seems to be the problem unless the retailer is buying direct from manufacturer. We QC all our suppliers otherwise we would be out of business. Come on manufacturers sort it out …. at the end of the day it is a "scientific instrument" not a toy.

sorry for the rant but it is how I feel  

• Like 4

Ok maybe a thought

distributor sells to supplier I know extra work for the supplier in this case unless supplied direct as in our case 3rd party items checked and QC seal applied as item verified visual surely can't be to much work we do it every day as a QC for our customers. ok it means opening box's. until this is resolved so who is to blame the retailer or importer or a manufacture problem? QC is king

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

Ok maybe a thought

distributor sells to supplier I know extra work for the supplier in this case unless supplied direct as in our case 3rd party items checked and QC seal applied as item verified visual surely can't be to much work we do it every day as a QC for our customers. ok it means opening box's. until this is resolved so who is to blame the retailer or importer or a manufacture problem? QC is king

Every time I read your messages I get too distracted by how cute your dog is 😂😂

but hm... we have the manufacturer then OVL then the retailer. I would say that first and foremost, the manufacturer needs to make sure they are making high quality and durable products that are carefully transported from China. I guess I think of OVL as the main point of contact from the UK..... so I guess manufacturer is most important.... then any issues have to be resolved by the supplier. I guess by your logic that OVL could re-QC the items before sending them to the retailer? 

Every time I read your messages I get too distracted by how cute your dog is 😂😂

but hm... we have the manufacturer then OVL then the retailer. I would say that first and foremost, the manufacturer needs to make sure they are making high quality and durable products that are carefully transported from China. I guess I think of OVL as the main point of contact from the UK..... so I guess manufacturer is most important.... then any issues have to be resolved by the supplier. I guess by your logic that OVL could re-QC the items before sending them to the retailer? 

Sorry about my avatar she is now 8  but love her when we first picked her up a story in it's self. As you state OVL should QC the goods received as we do it is business standards here in France so see no reason in the UK unless sourced direct then we would QC the goods but as many suppliers it is on "good faith"  but I see this hobby/scientific  so should be treated so not a whim hobby but with some respect 

18 hours ago, FLO said:

Not necessarily because at FLO most orders are fulfilled from stock held at our warehouse. We will check our Evostar 80ED scopes when we reopen in the morning. 

Have just opened one. It doesn't have the Schott logo and does have glue, though I think less than yours and willcastle's. 

Interestingly the focuser was faulty... 🙃 

Faulty Evostar 80ED scopes are rare but we have flagged our stock so they will be checked prior to dispatch, just to be sure. 

HTH, 

Steve 

evo80ed-1.jpg

evo80ed-2.jpg

• Like 1

A couple of dabs of glue on the edges of lens retaining rings a quite commonly found feature in new optics. I guess the idea is to deter DIY dismantling.  Glue that strays onto the surface of the objective is rare thankfully and definitely a QC issue.

• Like 2

I spoke with Sky-Watcher's UK importer/distributor earlier this afternoon. John was right, it is only that the agreement Synta had with Schott (displaying their logo) has ended. As far as we can tell the glass types used for the Evostar 80ED have not changed. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FLO said:

I spoke with Sky-Watcher's UK importer/distributor earlier this afternoon. John was right, it is only that the agreement Synta had with Schott (displaying their logo) has ended. As far as we can tell the glass types used for the Evostar 80ED have not changed. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks Steve

That is reassuring...

I am begining to think that my focuser is also faulty, as its extremely rough, and feels like its skipping/jumping with every rotation. I'm struggling to describe it correctly

2 minutes ago, oymd said:

I am begining to think that my focuser is also faulty, as its extremely rough, and feels like its skipping/jumping with every rotation. I'm struggling to describe it correctly

If you haven't already then best you contact your supplier so they are aware. 

Steve 

On 21/01/2020 at 13:13, FLO said:

Have just opened one. It doesn't have the Schott logo and does have glue, though I think less than yours and willcastle's. 

Interestingly the focuser was faulty... 🙃 

Faulty Evostar 80ED scopes are rare but we have flagged our stock so they will be checked prior to dispatch, just to be sure. 

HTH, 

Steve 

evo80ed-1.jpg

evo80ed-2.jpg

A retailer doing exactly what they should be doing and making sure their stock is as it should be! Good job! What is your job role with FLO Steve?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, willcastle said:

A retailer doing exactly what they should be doing and making sure their stock is as it should be! Good job! What is your job role with FLO Steve?

Steve started First Light Optics :smiley:

• 1 month later...

The Evostar ED has always been about excellent optics in the most affordable package possible. The price of these scopes is incredibly low considering the cost of apos a decade or two ago. Although it’s not branded, the diagonal is excellent - just as good as branded ones costing twice the price. Little dabs of glue are often seen on other scopes - particularly solar. Disappointing the focuser isn’t smoother - but the quality is bound to be inferior to more expensive products. Unfortunately it’s one of the ways that manufacturers are able to reduce the purchase price. The stock focusers on a few of my past purchases have been almost unusable with heavy gear like cameras and binoviewers. Hope you are able to sort it out - but otherwise you’ve got a fine telescope.

• Like 1

Just a point on the focusers on these scopes

They are good and work well plus they can handle quite a bit of load. However they seem to be shipped in varying degrees of adjustment from super smooth to dog rough.

I have 2 of these scopes in binoscope format. One I got was adjusted really well the other was really bad and was advertised as a customer return due to the rough focuser, I got it with a discount due to that. It took me 2 minutes with an alken key and it was as smooth as the other one.

So dont despair if your focuser feels rough it just needs a tweak. Quality control should really be better but a rough focuser is not a major problem.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

The Evostar ED has always been about excellent optics in the most affordable package possible. The price of these scopes is incredibly low considering the cost of apos a decade or two ago. Although it’s not branded, the diagonal is excellent - just as good as branded ones costing twice the price. Little dabs of glue are often seen on other scopes - particularly solar. Disappointing the focuser isn’t smoother - but the quality is bound to be inferior to more expensive products. Unfortunately it’s one of the ways that manufacturers are able to reduce the purchase price. The stock focusers on a few of my past purchases have been almost unusable with heavy gear like cameras and binoviewers. Hope you are able to sort it out - but otherwise you’ve got a fine telescope.

29 minutes ago, philj said:

Just a point on the focusers on these scopes

They are good and work well plus they can handle quite a bit of load. However they seem to be shipped in varying degrees of adjustment from super smooth to dog rough.

I have 2 of these scopes in binoscope format. One I got was adjusted really well the other was really bad and was advertised as a customer return due to the rough focuser, I got it with a discount due to that. It took me 2 minutes with an alken key and it was as smooth as the other one.

So dont despair if your focuser feels rough it just needs a tweak. Quality control should really be better but a rough focuser is not a major problem.

Actually, the focuser turned out OK, I think. It was my first refractor, so dint know what to expect. It focuses fine, and with the fine knob I can see pin point stars. 

A couple of questions though:

1- when locking the focuser with the focuser thumbscrew underneath, is it normal for the focuser knob to still turn freely? I think the actual tube does not move, but is it normal for the focus knob to move? Also, when packing the OTA in the box, I rotate the focus knob so that the focus tube is all the way in, then lock the focus. The knob still rotates freely? Is that all normal?

2-when viewing, the stars at the edge of the field, and I mean literally at the edge, look terribly out of focus, like double stars, and as I slew them into the central area of the eyepiece they become pinpoint stars? This is without touching the focus? Using the stock 2" diagonal and 2" 28mm eyepiece that come with the scope? Again, is this normal?

thanks

Edited by oymd