Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Image of 2020: Tadpole

HunterHarling

Here is an image I got this morning/ last night. This is about 6.5 hours of hydrogen alpha through my new 3nm 1.25in filter. Unfortunately the filter's rim is so thick that it got caught on the inside of the filter wheel🤔 however, I found a solution by reversing the front plate of the wheel so that it is inside out :) A bit odd but it works.

So far moving to a narrow bandwidth filter looks promising, less light pollution and stars visible.

Processing for this image is just a stretch and re sample.

ASI1600mm

FSQ106

Astrodon 3nm Ha: 55x430s

tadpole.thumb.jpg.95e63c198e47c72583c4f1a8cc057ac5.jpg

Happy New Year

• Like 13

Very nice image and a good start to 2020.

Unfortunately the filter's rim is so thick that it got caught on the inside of the filter wheel🤔

I found that comment very interesting, as I have been looking at Astrodon filters for a while, and even if I could afford them, I have been wondering whether the thick rim would cause problems.  In the end I got a Baader 3.5nm Ha filter.  

Carole 

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

Very nice image and a good start to 2020.

I found that comment very interesting, as I have been looking at Astrodon filters for a while, and even if I could afford them, I have been wondering whether the thick rim would cause problems.  In the end I got a Baader 3.5nm Ha filter.  

Carole 

Have you managed to use it yet carole..I'm sure you was on baader before? Much difference?

I have been gradually using it more and more over the months, but at first I was using my dual rig and I had 7nm Ha in one filterwheel and 3.5nm in the other, so wasn't really a good test, but the last 3 or 4 images I have done just using the 3nm.  I can't see much obvious difference to be honest, but I am sure there is a difference.  It certainly makes focussing and taking flats more difficult. 

Carole 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

I honestly don't know why they would make such expensive filters with that thick rim... if you want to get Astrodon I recommend you go for the unmounted filters even though they are more expensive.

Bit unnecessary as the 1.25 Astrodon filters have a bigger rim than other makes so although the difference between 1.25" and 31mm is hardly anything at all the thick rims make a lot of difference.

Dave

• Like 1

Looks great--The ASI 1600 is a great camera for the FSQ 106 (perhaps that should be reversed!).  Either way--the large FOV and small pixels are a lot of fun.  Throw on the .6x reducer and you will be unable to contain yourself!

Rodd

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Looks great--The ASI 1600 is a great camera for the FSQ 106 (perhaps that should be reversed!).  Either way--the large FOV and small pixels are a lot of fun.  Throw on the .6x reducer and you will be unable to contain yourself!

Rodd

The price on the FSQ reducers are scary though :( 

Just now, HunterHarling said:

The price on the FSQ reducers are scary though :( 

That's true--then again, who in their right mind would spend $6,000 on a 4" OTA?  I will give TAK credit though...at least its a bit more than 4"

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Rodd said:

Rodd

Great image and good start of the new year!

Just wondered: is not the whole idea with the FSQ106 that it has an enormous image circle. By putting an ASI1600 you only use a fraction of those 6000 dollars of real estate. I assume Rodd and you are very tempted by the new ASI 6200 MM Pro Mono......

13 minutes ago, gorann said:

Great image and good start of the new year!

Just wondered: is not the whole idea with the FSQ106 that it has an enormous image circle. By putting an ASI1600 you only use a fraction of those 6000 dollars of real estate. I assume Rodd and you are very tempted by the new ASI 6200 MM Pro Mono......

Then I would have to sell the FSQ to get the camera.  Its like the Uncertainty principle--can't have both!!!!  (but very tempted)

• Like 1