Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece twist cases?

Robert72

Eyepiece bolt cases are not so easy to come by currently in the UK. There was an ebay retailer at one time, whom I purchased a bolt case suitable for my 31mm Nagler. As Stu has mentioned Astro Boot do a few, Rother Valley Optics might supply the odd used one. Here is a chart listing specifications if you are able to source the right ones.

https://agenaastro.com/bolt-case-specifications-and-compatibility.html

Recently I have used Neoprene lens pouches for one or two larger low power eyepieces, the Hama brand do a good range that provide a snug protective fit, useful if carrying out one or two eyepieces indepanet of an eyepiece case. Pentax XW's come supplied with their own eyepiece bolt case. These are compatible with other eyepieces, such as some ethos.

3 hours ago, Robert72 said:

You know those clear plastic twist cases that people store eyepieces in? Where can I find them please?

Why do you want them?  I have a bunch in storage.  I keep my eyepieces in pick-n-pluck foam cases.  I never understood the utility of bolt cases except for long term storage of unused eyepieces.

• Like 1

Individual storage or travel solutions, can become purposeful in addition to the primary; collective storing of oculars into foam hard cases. I have one flight case and it contains most of my e.p's. There are a couple of additional e.p's that live in the foam storage of my TeleVue 85 Pelican type case. Not having shelve space for another flight hard case, my TeleVue 31T5 lives in a bolt case. Recently acquiring a TeleVue 41 Panoptic this lives in a neoprene lens pouch. Having a few separate storage solutions is quite useful for if traveling somewhere and wishing to take a few selective e.p's. This can also be combined with a camera accessories bag. 

Other than a few small ones on Astroboot as Robin has indicated, they may need to be ordered from Agena Astro, the link I posted which I notice is unable to open, is worth looking at: Agena Astro bolt case specifications, compatibility. Here are some of the containers I use. The first picture is for my TeleVue 21 Ethos. This does live in my flight case, yet if I wished to take this out as an individual item, the zipped tubular neoprene pouch by Hama is a good match, providing a perfect snug and protective fit. The second picture is a TV31T5, this bolt case can also house a TV21E. The third neoprene pouch, with a pull cord works fine containing my TV41 Pan.

P1090560.JPG

P1090563.JPG

P1090566.JPG

Edited by scarp15

For travel, I put my eyepieces in a small, padded camera bag with dividers.  It worked pretty well for the 2017 eclipse.  The telescope was wrapped in bubble wrap inside a duffle bag so as to not draw attention to it in parking lots in the back of the van.

2 hours ago, Robert72 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps. I may just get a small pelican case and build up a little set.

Another alternative is small pistol cases such as those from Plano.  I would think there's a UK equivalent.