Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Christmas Eve M42

Allinthehead

Happy Christmas everyone. Managed 35 minutes on the 24th before the clouds rolled in. Very disappointing as a full clear night was forecast.

14 150 second subs with my Asi 071 through an Esprit 100 mounted on an Az Eq6

Processed in PI, APP and PS

Cropped to show just Orion.

Richard.

298543721_orionfinalcopy.thumb.png.719b9c41be65f53320e308af8db2631f.png

• Like 36

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

Happy Christmas everyone. Managed 35 minutes on the 24th before the clouds rolled in. Very disappointing as a full clear night was forecast.

Richard.

298543721_orionfinalcopy.thumb.png.719b9c41be65f53320e308af8db2631f.png

We had the same forecast Richard. Disappointed is an understatement.

Thats a lovely image. It has tight stars and delicate nebulosity. I did image M42 just after B22. I took some new calibration data last night so I might try to process it later.  

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thats a lovely image. It has tight stars and delicate nebulosity. I did image M42 just after B22. I took some new calibration data last night so I might try to process it later.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing yours.

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

We had the same forecast Richard. Disappointed is an understatement.

I did manage 3.5 hours earlier in the night on panel 5 of a 6 panel mosaic i'm working on so i did ok. Still i was looking forward to getting some serious data on M42.  

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Richard.

Thanks for sharing, that's a cracking image.  When you said 35 minutes of data, I couldn't believe the image that appeared as a I scrolled down (gives me hope!)  The full size version just seems so clean as well. Nice one 🙂

Edited by geeklee

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks. I look forward to seeing yours.

I did manage 3.5 hours earlier in the night on panel 5 of a 6 panel mosaic i'm working on so i did ok. Still i was looking forward to getting some serious data on M42.  

Mmm 6 panel mosaic sounds interesting... look forward to seeing that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geeklee said:

Thanks for sharing, that's a cracking image.  When you said 35 minutes of data, I couldn't believe the image that appeared as a I scrolled down (gives me hope!)  The full size version just seems so clean as well. Nice one 🙂

Thanks, i don't think you'd get away with that little data on any other target. It's just so bright. Most targets i've been imaging lately you can't even see with a single sub so it was refreshing to have a go at this.

1 hour ago, x6gas said:

Very nice with such little data - we were forecast cloud but had a clearer night but I had too much going on to make the most of it with such short notice!

Merry Christmas all!

Ian

Thanks Ian. Can be hard to take advantage of those gaps in the cloud at short notice especially at this time of year.

59 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

A lovely M42. I like the processing - very delicate 👍

Thank you Michael

9 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

...Very disappointing as a full clear night was forecast...

I can´t decide what is worst -  a spoiled night due to clouds and a too optimistic forecast, or the opposite when you commited to something else and by chance look up at the stars.

Anyway, you have a very nice image here. Processing is on top.

Ragnar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lux eterna said:

I can´t decide what is worst -  a spoiled night due to clouds and a too optimistic forecast, or the opposite when you commited to something else and by chance look up at the stars.

For me its got to be when your commited to something else and there's a clear sky.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul M said:

I love it, a very honest image. Not overcooked.

Many thankings Paul

14 hours ago, lux eterna said:

Anyway, you have a very nice image here. Processing is on top.

Thanks Ragnar.

14 hours ago, lux eterna said:

I find if the forecast is for clear sky then i get very excited and if it doesn't happen after setting up and waiting it's quite disappointing. If i've already commited to something else then i just think oh well next time.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Wow, what a stunning image, excellent! I am staring at the picture like an enamored little boy... Sometimes, it's impossible to contemplate all the rich beauty of the universe. Did you know there are 88 constellations in the sky? It's difficult to imagine it... Anyway, I think the current situation in the world will make our planet better. People should understand that there is no place for viciousness and anxiety. We need to be kind and patient with each other. At the end of my message to you, I want to share one lovely resource I have found yesterday. There is a Christmas sale and maybe, you will be delighted with the things displayed here. Have a great year 2021!

Edited by Karsdorp
  • Thanks 1