Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Santa’s answer to Elon Musk

tomato

19 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I better go to bed. Dont want a lump of coal.

My wife has the radio on and someone has also just mentioned a lump of coal.  I wonder how many British (or Irish) children excitedly opening presents this morning have actually even seen a lump of coal "in the flesh", as it were?

James

I've been joking with my youngest grandchildren (boy 7 and girl 9) about getting a bag of coal.

Told them, now the presents have been opened, the counter has officially turned back to zero, so they better be good or the coal could be next years gift!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Two years of bad health and bad weather while my scopes gathered dust. Tonight I stepped out (at last) to soak up a clear sky with a resplendent Venus. Next thing that caught my eye was an endless trail of artificial satellites about 10s apart. Turn your back for ten minutes and some ****head vandalises one of the last simple pleasures left to us. Tragic!

I totally agree. SpaceX has made some fantastic contributions to spaceflight, but Starlink and any projects that follow (hence why I know longer purchase anything from a certain online retailer!) have no regard whatsoever for those of us who view the night sky, professional or otherwise. I've just read a post on Scientific American that they have plans for up to 30,000. The link is here if that does not break site rules? https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-fccs-approval-of-spacexs-starlink-mega-constellation-may-have-been-unlawful/

I'm just coming back to the hobby like yourself and already I'm wondering if it was a wise decision...

Mark