Atik refusing to find camera help please!

assouptro

Hi all 

I have a setup that has worked for me for over a year now but occasionally my laptop refuses to see my atik 460. 
In the past when this has happened I restart everything and it works, very rarely I have been forced to do a system restore and that also has worked however, the last 3 or 4 times out I have been forced to restore every time to get my laptop to see my atik! 
it’s an older fairly basic Acer laptop Running widows 7, I’m using Artemis capture and everything is going through a mount hub pro. 
I have had the camera on its own usb Input on the laptop and through the hub, I have changed the usb lead but when it won’t see the camera, nothing I do changes this unless I do a system restore. 

The laptop is left outside (under cover) when imaging. 

does anyone have any suggestions?? 
Many thanks 

Bryan 

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You could try clearing the USB ports, Google for instructions, quicker than a system restore.

Dave

I’ll give that a go Dave 

I have swapped USB ports and although the laptop installs drivers and recognises the camera and says it is ready for use, it still cannot be seen when trying to open Artemis. 
however I haven’t done what you suggest and anything is worth a go! 
cheers 

Bryan 

6 minutes ago, scitmon said:

Could it be windows update related? I’ve had issues in the past with EU specific versions on windows updates not recognising my dslr

I thought so too, as this problem first appeared after an update, but I haven’t updated since the last restore and if still failed to connect once after I had restarted from my last successful session (if that makes sense?)

cheers 

Bryan 

I've had the same issues with both my 460s(mono and colour).  I emailed atik, they've asked for more info, but I've been tied up for a few weeks and so haven't got back to them. It might be an idea to email them too...

Helen

36 minutes ago, Helen said:

I've had the same issues with both my 460s(mono and colour).  I emailed atik, they've asked for more info, but I've been tied up for a few weeks and so haven't got back to them. It might be an idea to email them too...

Helen

Hi Helen 

thanks for taking the time to reply.

That's interesting? 
Has this happened recently? 
are you also using Artemis and Windows 7? 
I will probably email them if it continues. 
I know they have new(ish) software, dusk, that they recommend instead of Artemis but I like Artemis and also use the dither script, I don’t know Dusk and also don’t know if I can dither with it? 
maybe it’s time to get to know SGPro? A complete software solution that will take care of camera control, dither, capture etc? 
Sometimes I just don’t like change! Although that’s the nature of this hobby!! 

anyways, thanks again for the input! 

cheers 

Bryan  

35 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Hi Helen 

thanks for taking the time to reply.

That's interesting? 
Has this happened recently? 
are you also using Artemis and Windows 7? 
I will probably email them if it continues. 
I know they have new(ish) software, dusk, that they recommend instead of Artemis but I like Artemis and also use the dither script, I don’t know Dusk and also don’t know if I can dither with it? 
maybe it’s time to get to know SGPro? A complete software solution that will take care of camera control, dither, capture etc? 
Sometimes I just don’t like change! Although that’s the nature of this hobby!! 

anyways, thanks again for the input! 

cheers 

Bryan  

Hi Bryan, I'm also using a 460 and it try not to swap your usb  cables around, especially with using a hub..use the same cables in the same usb ports, I've labelled mine up.. 

If Artemis can't see your camera then I don't think sgp or any other capture program will either..

Maybe reinstall the software again and trace to your camera..

Probably has got something to do with a Windows update..

Thanks 😊. I've been trying to get it working with Maxim.  It completely died about 2/ 3 weeks ago.  Reinstall of drivers didn't work.  Resetting all the usbs didn't work.  Changing cables didn't work.  The computer did see it sometimes, but even when Maxim saw it it hungs when downloading. 

I might have some time for testing tomorrow.  I'll report back!

But I think worth contacting atik, as it seems too much of a coincidence that we're both suddenly having very similar issues.

Helen

5 minutes ago, scitmon said:

To be honest, I would take this opportunity to move to Windows 10 if you can.  Windows 7 will officially not be supported anymore by Microsoft from next month.

It would be a good thing for Windows not to support it because those stupid updates do alter things that don't need doing...

Did it on my Windows 10 laptop to a point where I couldn't use it for astro

• Like 2

On 16/12/2019 at 22:31, newbie alert said:

Hi Bryan, I'm also using a 460 and it try not to swap your usb  cables around, especially with using a hub..use the same cables in the same usb ports, I've labelled mine up.. 

If Artemis can't see your camera then I don't think sgp or any other capture program will either..

Maybe reinstall the software again and trace to your camera..

Probably has got something to do with a Windows update..

Hi Newbie 

Thanks for your input, I too have kept everything the same as I am well aware of the problems that can be caused by the slightest change resulting in a clear night of frustrating tech problem solving instead of capturing the universe!

I have only swapped things when it has been necessary.

I believe it is probably an update but maybe an issue with shutting down in the correct order too? I always struggle shutting down eqmod!

Cheers 

Bryan 

Have you looked in Device Manager to see whether the PC thinks the camera is already running? I've had this quite a few times with my filterwheel though not with my camera.

Olly

PS Windows no longer supporting Win7 sounds like a huge advantage to me, provided the machine doesn't go on the internet any more.

Edited by ollypenrice
  • Like 3

Perhaps off-topic but I see the dropping of support for Windows 7 to be a huge opportunity.  I have just bought a cheap second hand Desktop with Win 7 Pro installed as a backup to two other PCs I have (Win 7 and Vista) that are imaging-fit.  I had exactly the same issue as the OP when using Win 10, which occurred after I inadvertently allowed it to update.  I could not sort it and went back to my old Vista laptop, cursing Mr. Gates and all of his latest retrograde works as I did so...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Have you looked in Device Manager to see whether the PC thinks the camera is already running? I've had this quite a few times with my filterwheel though not with my camera.

Olly

PS Windows no longer supporting Win7 sounds like a huge advantage to me, provided the machine doesn't go on the internet any more.

Hi Olly 

Thanks for taking the time to add some thoughts, I will check device manager to see if my laptop thinks it's already connected the next time this problem occurs. Just one question, what do you recommend I do in this situation? 

Thanks again 

Bryan 

Couldn't agree more.  I only ever put my imaging laptop on the internet for E mailing myself from the obsy to the house PC with Teamviewer codes, occasionally to use Sat24 and Astrometry.net (rarely). 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

If a system restore fixes it it's probably something corrupted in the registry, Atik may be able to point you in the right direction but editing the registry is not for the inexperienced.

Suppose it could be a hard disc or memory problem so worth running checks on them as well.

Sounds like the good old days when you got to reinstall Windows every weekend :grin:

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If a system restore fixes it it's probably something corrupted in the registry, Atik may be able to point you in the right direction but editing the registry is not for the inexperienced.

Suppose it could be a hard disc or memory problem so worth running checks on them as well.

Sounds like the good old days when you got to reinstall Windows every weekend :grin:

Dave

Hi Dave, hope you’re well? 
thanks for chipping in! 

I have been in the registry recently to allow file transfers over my network as my capture laptop is windows 7 and my processing laptop is 10 and the windows 10 laptop only sees the windows 7 pc as a media device therefore not allowing file transfers via “network”

I have had to tweak the registry a couple of times since as windows updates seem to undo my efforts! 

I don’t think the part of the registry I have tweaked would have any effect on the camera connection as it hasn’t in the past but I’m not a computer programmer, so, that is essentially  a guess?! 

I have a registry repair program I know and trust so maybe I’ll run a check on it as well as a chkdsk run?

9 hours ago, assouptro said:

Hi Olly 

Thanks for taking the time to add some thoughts, I will check device manager to see if my laptop thinks it's already connected the next time this problem occurs. Just one question, what do you recommend I do in this situation? 

Thanks again 

Bryan 

You have the option to halt the device. I don't remember exactly how it's worded (mine's in French anyway) but I think it's fairly obvious.

Olly

I do find that if I try to connect my Atik camera too soon after the computer starts up if will often fail to connect, but if I wait it will connect subsequently, but if I try too soon, it fails, and then sometimes won't connect because the failed connection is actually connected in the background, if that makes sense.  Best route then is to log out the computer which disconnects Atik, and start again and then make sure I wait before trying to connect.  Then recently I had to disconnect the Atik from power as well as re-boot to get a connection.

Finally when I was at Astro camp once I could not get it to connect (Davey T was there with me) and he suggested a fresh install of Artemis, can't remember where I got it from as I don't have internet signal at camp, possibly Davey T gave me a copy, and once re-installed it has worked ever since apart from what I describe in the first paragraph.

Carole 

5 hours ago, carastro said:

I do find that if I try to connect my Atik camera too soon after the computer starts up if will often fail to connect, but if I wait it will connect subsequently, but if I try too soon, it fails, and then sometimes won't connect because the failed connection is actually connected in the background, if that makes sense.  Best route then is to log out the computer which disconnects Atik, and start again and then make sure I wait before trying to connect.  Then recently I had to disconnect the Atik from power as well as re-boot to get a connection.

Finally when I was at Astro camp once I could not get it to connect (Davey T was there with me) and he suggested a fresh install of Artemis, can't remember where I got it from as I don't have internet signal at camp, possibly Davey T gave me a copy, and once re-installed it has worked ever since apart from what I describe in the first paragraph.

Carole 

Good point to make Carole i often make the same mistake.

Astrotortilla crashes as well.

A little patience is needed here I think.

Mick.

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 1

I use the Atik Ascom drivers with SGPro on a Windows 10 NUC, my camera is a One9.0.

Once I have everything  powered up & Windows has loaded I just do a restart before running SGPro & connecting the camera... maybe worth trying as it works me! 

Peter 

14 hours ago, carastro said:

Carole 

Hi Carole 

thanks for the input! 

I have had a start up procedure that involves switching on devices and connecting them in a slow methodological way that has worked for me apart from the odd time, where, like you I have had to disconnect and reboot to re establish a connection, however, this has failed a couple of times in 12 months and resulted in a system restore, normally after a windows update but just recently I have been unable to connect the camera without restoring the laptop to an earlier date? 
Having said this, I have managed to connect it twice, (when we had a 20min break in the constant cloud cover!!) just recently without issue?? 
I love this hobby!!! 🤪 

thanks again 

Bryan 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whipdry said:

I use the Atik Ascom drivers with SGPro on a Windows 10 NUC, my camera is a One9.0.

Once I have everything  powered up & Windows has loaded I just do a restart before running SGPro & connecting the camera... maybe worth trying as it works me! 

Peter 

Thanks Peter 

I will bear that in mind, I am considering purchasing SGPro to control a focuser I haven’t used yet, along with everything else! 
I have just been putting it off as I know the software I am currently using pretty well and need to find the time to commit! 

thanks again 

Bryan