Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular recommendations

Jarvo

Hi All

So having spend a couple of nights in the Lakes at Grasmere recently (which is quite probably the most beautiful place on the planet),  I’ve rediscovered the joy of going out into a near perfectly black night sky without the need for setting up. 

I’ve realised my current binoculars are awful so I am looking for a new pair. 

I want some good ones with pin point stars. Would ED glass make much difference? I’ve seen a pair from Hawke around £200 for some 10 x 50s which look promising.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone on their experience good or bad and their thoughts and recommendations on their current choice.

In exchange for your time in responding you will have my undying thanks for taking time out to give me your thoughts.

Thanks all

Jarvo

I discovered a long time ago that I can't hold a pair of 10x50s steady enough, for long enough, to be useful. 

So I need a tripod, and if I have a support  I'm not limited to 10x50s. 

Try 15x70s for a better view.

20 hours ago, Jarvo said:

I want some good ones with pin point stars. Would ED glass make much difference? I’ve seen a pair from Hawke around £200 for some 10 x 50s which look promising.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone on their experience good or bad and their thoughts and recommendations on their current choice.

I have some reviews on my website (URL in sig); of my current crop of hand-helds, the Helios LightQuest 10x50 are pretty darned good, as are the Vixen SG 6.5x32. For VFM, it's hard to beat the Opticron Adventurer T WP range.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

I have these in 10x50 and they’re excellent. Well made, great optics and a decent all rounder so good for boring and the like too. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/classic-binoculars/pentax-sp-50mm-wp-binoculars.html

Hi, i have just bought these, can you recommend a tripod mount for them? The Pentax one is around £30 but ive seen different makes much cheaper.

Cheers

Edited by Fizzymagic

Use BinocularSlys monopod and trigger npl head, with campmseag you can reach near the zenith, cheap and effective, but cover the metal with something so your hands don’t freeze. 
Depends what you want to look at, a lower power wide field can also be good 7x35 for instance. 

peter

On 10/12/2019 at 17:36, BinocularSky said:

I have some reviews on my website (URL in sig); of my current crop of hand-helds, the Helios LightQuest 10x50 are pretty darned good, as are the Vixen SG 6.5x32. For VFM, it's hard to beat the Opticron Adventurer T WP range.

Thanks for this :)

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 11:08, BinocularSky said:

What are you implying, sir?! 🤣

Phone+fat fingers+auto error= strange text. BinocularSky, the source of information for two-eyed viewing. Most humble apologies!

peter

• Haha 1

I managed to get a very good offer on a second-hand pair of Nikon Monarch 7 10x42s, and they are excellent. For astronomy, I prefer something bigger, and currently use the Helios LightQuest 16x80. I can use these hand held, but know that many struggle with that. I also have a monopod with pistol-grip ball head, which is very steady indeed. On a Dutch site there is an offer for Omegon-branded 15x70 BA-8 binoculars for just 175 euro (same as the excellent Helios Apollo 15x70). That is a steal if they are in good nick.