Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus focuser bust

blinky

Looks like my Pegasus Focus Cube is gubbed - no power LED lit and PC wont see it when plugging/unplugging it 😞 Luckily it is just inside its warranty so have emailed Altair to see how I can go about getting it repaired.  Anybody else had issues with theirs?

6 minutes ago, blinky said:

Looks like my Pegasus Focus Cube is gubbed - no power LED lit and PC wont see it when plugging/unplugging it 😞 Luckily it is just inside its warranty so have emailed Altair to see how I can go about getting it repaired.  Anybody else had issues with theirs?

I have had two, and issues with both, contacted pegasus, and never even got a reply...sent back in the end and had money back... ☹️

I have a ZWO one that's on my Newt which Im now using but Im not convinced by the temp readings - says its -10 outside at the moment which I very much doubt!  Really need to send the sensor back but not got round it yet

6 minutes ago, blinky said:

That's not good, did you buy direct or from a reseller?

I bought one new from a dealer, and the other secondhand, but both seemed to get the same issue within six months, can’t do a lot about the secondhand one, but sent the new one back and got refund...and went in another direction....

I have got other bits of there kit, and a few years ago when they first started they were very very good, always answered emails and even helped me with a few mods I wanted to make, I used to contact them direct...but since they have grown and got more commercial, the excellent customer service seems to have taken a back seat a little bit, I’m sorry to say....but that’s just my view...hope you get it sorted... 😀

5 minutes ago, blinky said:

I would rather swap it for a ZWO one but Altair don't sell them and I cant see them giving me a refund when its nearly out of warranty (unfortunately!)

Well, if its broken in warranty,  whether at beginning or end of warranty, they either repair, replace or refund, I personally never accept repairs on anything within a year of purchase, I will always want a replacement, or refund...that is your right...it should, in my opinion, last at the very very least the year before it needs repair... 

will see what they say, would like a refund as the ZWO unit seems much better build quality and it does not inspire confidence if it wont even last a year.  Although I bought it in November, I never fitted it till Christmas and then as Im in Scotland its not been used from mid May till end of July

On 18/11/2019 at 22:59, WanderingEye said:

I will always want a replacement, or refund...that is your right

I am sure that you do have to accept a repair if the purchase is after 30 days as you must give the seller the chance to fix it.

On 18/11/2019 at 22:59, WanderingEye said:

I will always want a replacement, or refund...that is your right...it should, in my opinion, last at the very very least the year before it needs repair... 

Actually its not, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 after 30 days the seller has the option to repair or replace, if they repair, they only have one chance and then you can insist on a replacement.

I have been through this in great detail against a seller and I won.

I had issues with mine in cold weather. It worked fine indoors but was totally unresponsive outside. I contacted Pegasus Astro and got very good customer service. I sent it back to Pegasus for a usb chip upgrade and got it back promptly. The cube has worked flawlessly ever since. So, I only have positive experience of their customer service. 

Edited by wimvb

I had a thought, if you bought it from the Main UK dealer for Pegasus equipment such as Altair Astro, then I think you will find Ian is amazingly helpful and if you had contacted him via email then he would have replied and dealt with the matter if it was in warranty and even if it was out of it then he would have helped, in the same way that the lads at FLO would help out if requested.

@blinky and @WanderingEye I have met, chatted in depth, conversed via emails with Evans and Angelos at Pegasus and you truly couldn't wish for a nicer more helpful bunch of guys, last year my mate Mark had a problem with his UPB, the lads said to him to bring it along to the 2018 IAS and they would bring a spare board over with them and changed it whilst he waited at the show.

I have 4 UPB's and two focus cubes, and all but one of them bought at the full retail price, the 3rd one was second hand off here, and this was based upon the reputation of the lads at Pegasus backed up by Ian at AA.

My first contact with Pegasus was via their on line chat at 21:30 on a Sunday night as no one had stock at the time in the UK, at 09:00 on Tuesday morning 2 of my UPB's arrived from Greece at no extra cost.

I do believe in standing up where there is good service, in the same way I would for any manufacturer/dealer.

BTW I have no commercial affiliation with either AA or Pegasus, I just like and appreciate quality service, and don't get me wrong where that hasn't been received from other companies, then I have ended up in court with them and won!

If you PM me I will send you the lads email address so you can communicate directly with them.

Hope that helps?

Hi Folks,

Evans from Pegasus Astro

Honestly we have no pending service requests in our Pegasus mailbox or site contact form. I doubled checked and couldn't find any email reporting a defective FocusCube. 
We are glad to investigate what happened with your device (as we always do)  so please contact me for further communication.

I also asked Altair and they couldn't find any service case that is pending from their side.
There was an issue in a FocusCube (v1) production batch nearly one year ago that the controller was affected  by cold and it was loosing packets but this has been quickly resolved and all of these v1 units have been replaced or repair at no service / shipping cost back to the customer. 

Edited by Evans Souglakos
  • Like 2

I just checked and it was signed for at 10:11am this morning by Altair. Im sure they have just not got round to logging it on the system yet but will give them a call tomorrow lunchtime if I've not heard from them.  I did call Altair yesterday before sending it back and told them, they just said to pop it in the post along with a cover letter, I did ask if I should get a returns number or anything but they said nope, just stick it in the post along with a copy of the receipt.....

TBH -  Im not convinced it is, it looks like something I would cobble together!  Its so overpriced for what it is, that was OK when it was all that was on the market but then others like Pegasus and ZWO have really changed the market.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Actually its not, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 after 30 days the seller has the option to repair or replace, if they repair, they only have one chance and then you can insist on a replacement.

Not astro' related but recently fitted a new microwave in a customers kitchen, it was only switched on twice to set the clock and never actually microwaved anything it then died, contacted the suppliers and they wanted to send an engineer to see what was wrong with it, after a bit of tooing and frowing they grudgingly supplied a new replacement :D

Dave

7 hours ago, skybadger said:

I believe the consumer rights act has been trumped in this regard by the distance selling act, can't tell you what that says though....

The distance selling Act was basically about right to cancel, goods not as described, price etc.

It is no longer valid and the same issues are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Citizens Advice site has template letters for returning faulty goods etc.

"remember your contract is with the retailer that sold you the goods....not the manufacturer....regardless of what the retailer says... ! "

( SWMBO works for Trading Standards )

• Like 2