NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Finland!

Praseodyymi

Hi all!

I already posted here some time ago when deciding on my fist telescope, and got great advice from here! I am now a happy owner of 8'' Dob! Stargazing and all related has always interested me, even though I gave up my childhood dream to become an astronaut at some point in high school (instead ended up as an aerosol physicist, having actually colleagues abroad collaborating with NASA, is that a sign or not =D). Last winter I was still observing the sky just with binoculars (which I still actually use a lot), but I finally decided to invest to an actual telescope.

So far I have been able to stargaze only about 3 nights, as it is very cloudy this time of the year here in Finland. Last time I had some frost issues (secondary mirror + finderscope), most likely due to the lake (no ice yet) I was near by and having around -10 degree of Celsius.. But I have already googled some ideas how to cope with that! And I would guess it won't be that huge of an issue later on when temperatures stay below zero longer period of time. Need to dig up all my heavy-duty winter clothing though! In addition, I have had minor issues to understand how should I move the telescope as the image is upside down, and I always end up moving it right when I want to go left etc =D But I am getting there!

Hoping you have clearer skies than I do!

• Like 2

Hi @Praseodyymi and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

56 minutes ago, Praseodyymi said:

Hi all!...

...Hoping you have clearer skies than I do!

Must be a Europe-wide phenomena. I Cannot remember the last time I had my 'scopes out! - then again shift work at LHR here in Southern England does not guarentee clear skies on my rest days.

Welcome from Land down under

Would you like to swap -10C for +10C here in winter

Last few nights, things have been rather hazy to to bushfires in the ranges behind where I live

Did you get full length or flex 8" Dob

I have a 10" flex Dob, now for over 12 years, and been a very loyal servant, and out couple of times per month with my club doing presentations in schools and scout groups

Best accessory to get, is a right angle finderscope

Save having to lay on the ground, when viewing objects over head

The base is made of chipboard, and to protect from ground moisture, place on a small tarp

For solar viewing, the hard plastic cover has a detachable cap

Just sticky tape some Baader visual film, underside

John 

Lid Dob Baader Film.jpg

2 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome from Land down under

Would you like to swap -10C for +10C here in winter

Last few nights, things have been rather hazy to to bushfires in the ranges behind where I live

Did you get full length or flex 8" Dob

John 

Well, the +10C definitely sounds nicer when I try to stargaze in February at -25C (however, for other outdoor activities cold weather with snow is nice)! The fires in Australia have been in news also here, hope they "calm down" soon!

I have solid tube dob, the 8'' has proven to be nicely manageable even with me (I am only 160cm). I am hoping to get right angle finder for Christmas, at least I have given few hints (i.e. direct link to FLO website..) to my husband! =D

• 3 weeks later...