Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with phd2 guidecamera

Calzune

Today was the first clear night in almost 1 month and of course something ruined it! 

I was going to start using my guide cam and scope for the first time and I couldn't get it to work... I have the ZWO asi 120 mm mini with a 50mm guidescope. 

I have installed the cam drivers and phd2, but when I connect the camera all I see is noise. 

I have focused the guidescope with a regular eye piece on a bright star but on the camera all I see is noise...

PLEASE HELP! 

IMG_20191029_210252.jpg

IMG_20191029_210259.jpg

IMG_20191029_210217.jpg

Edited by Calzune

1 minute ago, spillage said:

I would guess the focus is out. The focus with an eyepiece will not be same as with the camera and try using 2.5 seconds to begin with.

Okey, so how do I focus the best way? 

I have tried 1-6 seconds and still really noisy.. 

The moon is quite a good target to focus on (when it's available).  If you get the limb looking sharp, you should be able to see the brighter stars, when you move to a non-moon area.

Another issue, which doesn't affect your present challenge, is the focal length of your guide scope, as shown in the third image above.  Are you sure it's 50 mm?  That sounds more like the objective diameter, focal length is likely 180 mm or so.  This won't affect acquiring stars but will affect guiding. 

1 minute ago, almcl said:

The moon is quite a good target to focus on (when it's available).  If you get the limb looking sharp, you should be able to see the brighter stars, when you move to a non-moon area.

Another issue, which doesn't affect your present challenge, is the focal length of your guide scope, as shown in the third image above.  Are you sure it's 50 mm?  That sounds more like the objective diameter, focal length is likely 180 mm or so.  This won't affect acquiring stars but will affect guiding. 

Yea I have this scope https://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Orion-Mini-50mm-Guide-Scope/99607.uts?keyword=Guide

There is no moon right now so I tried to focus on Vega but no stars on screen.. 

2 minutes ago, spillage said:

I use a st80 for guiding and until I am very close I get a similar result. Are you able to view the screen whilst at the scope?

What do you mean? I have my laptop next to my scope if that's what you mean. 

Just now, spillage said:

Yes that is what I mean. Just wind out you focus and then slowly bring it back in allowing a few seconds between each move. You should see a change in screen as you get closer.

I tried that.. I guess I have to try it again when I can see the moon... Because I can't se any stars in that crazy noise.. 

Are you sure the camera is working?

Does the image change to burnt-out white when you shine a torch into the guidescope?

And does the image go to black when you cap the guidescope with your hand?

For starters, is the guidecam sensor roughly 162mm from the guidescope objective?

If all okay try pointing at a distant streetlamp and get that roughly in focus, then try the moon, and then stars.

Michael

7 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Are you sure the camera is working?

Does the image change to burnt-out white when you shine a torch into the guidescope?

And does the image go to black when you cap the guidescope with your hand?

For starters, is the guidecam sensor roughly 162mm from the guidescope objective?

If all okay try pointing at a distant streetlamp and get that roughly in focus, then try the moon, and then stars.

Michael

The camera has never been used before so I hope everything works..... 

What do you mean 162 cm from the objective? I have the camera fully inserted into the guidescope. 

Today I will try to focus during the day on a distant object... 

16 minutes ago, Calzune said:

What do you mean 162 cm from the objective? 

The focal length is 162mm. That means the image will be formed 162mm back from the lens at the front of the scope. 

Take the nose piece off the camera and hold it alongside the scope with where you estimate the sensor is roughly 162mm from the lens. 

Is this position inside the rear of the scope? You won't be able to insert the camera inside so you won't get focus. 

More likely it's outside, so insert your camera with nose piece attached at this position. 

You now have very rough focus. 

Now try your daytime test, maybe using SharpCap. 

Michael

Edited by michael8554

2 hours ago, michael8554 said:

The focal length is 162mm. That means the image will be formed 162mm back from the lens at the front of the scope. 

Take the nose piece off the camera and hold it alongside the scope with where you estimate the sensor is roughly 162mm from the lens. 

Is this position inside the rear of the scope? You won't be able to insert the camera inside so you won't get focus. 

More likely it's outside, so insert your camera with nose piece attached at this position. 

You now have very rough focus. 

Now try your daytime test, maybe using SharpCap. 

Michael

I thibk I'm on the right way now! Thanks to all who helped me! 

When I inserted the camera I pushed it all the way in which was wrong.. Now I attached the extender on the cam and inserted only the extender into the scope and now I can focus! This was not written in the manual which is not very good for totally beginners like me.. 

IMG_20191030_121035.jpg

IMG_20191030_121111.jpg

IMG_20191030_120705.jpg

I Had a similar problem, I deleted all of my profile & reset it with the Auto-wizard ( which fills all info in for you) cameras, scope etc, then i opened PHD 2 connected the camera & scope, set the loop to 2 secs then slowly adjusted the guide scope until i got an image, i now leave the scope set at that so i have a starting point.

Vega is a good bright star to try with, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The instructions can only be generalizations.
No two set-ups are likely to be exactly the same.
Michael [above] has explained it nicely.
The camera sensor is inset into the body.
The sensor is where the focus of the telescope must fall.