NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Consolidating a dual rig into a single rig.

What would be a suitable single replacement for a dual ED80/CCD setup up?

Would an equally ‘fast’ system be available, that could replace the above in a single scope.

Im now starting to look at autofocusers etc and although I have no issues with two scopes so far, I often wonder would a single scope be handier and lighter on my EQ6.  Focal length I was thinking of between 500-850mm.

I have a full set of both 1.25” and 2” LRGBHaOiiiSii filters.  Currently using 2 x KAF-8300 CCDs.

I would be thinking of selling some kit off and adding some money to it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Any particular reason for ditching the dual rig? I would have thought it was ideal for capturing data quickly. In terms of aperture you'll need at least 112mm for the same area, so 115 minimum realistically. with most 'fracs you'll probably need a reducer to get down to say 550-600mm FL.

Or thinking outside the box, one of These?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

What would be a suitable single replacement for a dual ED80/CCD setup up?

Would an equally ‘fast’ system be available, that could replace the above in a single scope.

Im now starting to look at autofocusers etc and although I have no issues with two scopes so far, I often wonder would a single scope be handier and lighter on my EQ6.  Focal length I was thinking of between 500-850mm.

I have a full set of both 1.25” and 2” LRGBHaOiiiSii filters.  Currently using 2 x KAF-8300 CCDs.

I would be thinking of selling some kit off and adding some money to it.

Any suggestions welcome.

No single scope will compete with a duel rig mate certainly not at that focal length. Even at 500mm you would need something like a 115mm scope running at F4.5 to get close. Maybe if your willing to consider a 8 inch Newtonian F4 which would give you 800mm. Personally I would keep the duel rig and move to something like a Duel 100mm triplets @ F5.5 to get you more speed. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice guys.  I am getting frustrated at not being able to image in RGB as each filter needs a focus change.  I'm going to have to add a proper stepper motor focuser to 2 scopes, so looking at £250-300, then the complexity of two focusing routines. 

Just wait until that new dome is up and everything is fully automated including filter changes, you'll be able to go off to sleep and awake to find it has everything done for you, some software will even calibrate and stack your subs for you, easy peasy.

Unfortunately my  dual setup which only slightly automated failed to perform last night 😂

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just wait until that new dome is up and everything is fully automated including filter changes, you'll be able to go off to sleep and awake to find it has everything done for you, some software will even calibrate and stack your subs for you, easy peasy.

Unfortunately my  dual setup which only slightly automated failed to perform last night 😂

Dave

Ha I read that!   Bar the autofocussing, I'm pretty much automated.  Parfocal Baader filters arent Parfocal in my scope though :(

I’ve got no personal experience if these, but what about one of the TS Power Newton scopes? The 8inch F/2.8 would be nice and fast @ 560mm FL.  Obviously  collimating will be key, but if you’re not fixed on a refractor setup you could get data pretty quickly once you’ve fettled the setup. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4611_Boren-Simon-8--f-2-8-PowerNewton-Astrograph---Carbon-Tube.html

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

I’ve got no personal experience if these, but what about one of the TS Power Newton scopes? The 8inch F/2.8 would be nice and fast @ 560mm FL.  Obviously  collimating will be key, but if you’re not fixed on a refractor setup you could get data pretty quickly once you’ve fettled the setup. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4611_Boren-Simon-8--f-2-8-PowerNewton-Astrograph---Carbon-Tube.html

Thanks for that link!

I knew that a faster scope is more difficult to maintain focus etc, but apparently ‘at f/2.8 the zone of critical focus is about 8 microns’.

I think i will end up with more trouble and wasted tweaking, so I’m going to stick with my current setup for the time being. 

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Ha I read that!   Bar the autofocussing, I'm pretty much automated.  Parfocal Baader filters arent Parfocal in my scope though :(

As you say the filter are parafocal...

To be honest I would have thought that if your losing lum which is always going to cause a little bloat in a doublet then there is not much point in re-focusing for RGB anyway?

Adam

10 minutes ago, Adam J said:

As you say the filter are parafocal...

To be honest I would have thought that if your losing lum which is always going to cause a little bloat in a doublet then there is not much point in re-focusing for RGB anyway?

Adam

When I flick my though the Baader filters with the bahtinov mask on there is a noticeable shift in focus.  I’ve tried not focusing and the stars vary too much 

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

How handy are you with a soldering iron and suchlike?  Could be possible to build your own motor focusers from the designs available on the interwebs?

James

I’ve rechipped and lx modded a toucam 😂 So handy enough lol

Tempted by the deepskydad autofocuser

• 3 weeks later...

So just to update this thread, I did purchase a new scope to replace the dual rig.  I bought a Takahashi Epsilon 180ed, which has a pretty much identical focal length, 500mm versus 510mm for reduced ED80, and at F2.8 is twice as fast as F6.3.  It came with a motorfocuser so I killed two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the advice, and I hope this works out in reality!

Cheers

Adam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I bought a Takahashi Epsilon 180ed

Yea, saw that.  Huge mixture of emotions here, including largely jealousy. 

Very best of luck with the new one, I was sorely tempted myself as that model has been on the wish list for a while.

Strangely, though, I'm moving in the opposite direction, away from the 8" Quattro I've been using, and to an Esprit 120ED for this season.  Painfully trying to up my game on the processing side too.

Tony

36 minutes ago, AKB said:

Yea, saw that.  Huge mixture of emotions here, including largely jealousy. 

Very best of luck with the new one, I was sorely tempted myself as that model has been on the wish list for a while.

Strangely, though, I'm moving in the opposite direction, away from the 8" Quattro I've been using, and to an Esprit 120ED for this season.  Painfully trying to up my game on the processing side too.

Tony

Thanks Tony! I had a good clear night last night. Still getting to grips with focusing, APT didn’t achieve the best focus point despite running the routine.  I’m going to try SGPro tonight to see if it fairs better if it’s clear. 

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Tony! I had a good clear night last night. Still getting to grips with focusing, APT didn’t achieve the best focus point despite running the routine.  I’m going to try SGPro tonight to see if it fairs better if it’s clear. 

Honestly you don't want APT for autofocusing you want SGP or NINA. They have vastly better approaches. 

Adam

• Thanks 1