Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One day I will get it right.

alan potts

I spent a few hours out last night trying to prove the camera worked OK as I have been having a few problems, mainly caused by me. Now I would spend more time on this 22 frame at 4 minutes if it were not for the fact I believed the orientation of the camera as shown on C du C, this suggesting the whole of the Soul Nebula fitted very nicely into the field of view of the 071. Maybe I can change it some how.

Anyway reasonable effort I guess and could have been better had I looked harder, seem one of the down sides of the difference between the Canon and this, with the Canon it would have been easy to see after the first image, never mind

Feel free to rip it to bits I know it is not processed well.

270211324_SoleNeb.thumb.jpg.78a3893d19e118f48d34161383eff4e9.jpg

Alan

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, alan potts said:

if it were not for the fact I believed the orientation of the camera as shown on C du C,

Alan, if you can confirm your telescope focal length for me, I will tell you which figures to place in C du C and how to rotate the template on the fly to get this spot on. Please allow for the focal reducer if you have one!

Here is a quick look at your data to give a more coherent background to the image. This was done in PhotoShop using the AstroFlat plug-in, levels and curcves:-

Alan_Heart.png.ac2730f9989c4f99df105f9eb9fd4954.png

• Like 2

Hello Allan.

I am no expert but I tried some tools in Pixinsight.
DBE first (I know this should have been done earlier, before stretching), Then a starmask and reduced the starbrightness a little, finally a little darker background with HistogramTranformation. I think you are def, on the right track:)

73022482_SoleNeb-JKTest.thumb.jpg.b3891f13655204f6ab190b31cd9e7ea8.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Alan, if you can confirm your telescope focal length for me, I will tell you which figures to place in C du C and how to rotate the template on the fly to get this spot on. Please allow for the focal reducer if you have one!

Here is a quick look at your data to give a more coherent background to the image. This was done in PhotoShop using the AstroFlat plug-in, levels and curcves:-

Alan_Heart.png.ac2730f9989c4f99df105f9eb9fd4954.png

Steve,

You know me I thought I had done this, maybe it was with the Canon, The scope is 805mm F7, there is a lot in C-du-C to mess with, I tried to turn on one of the catalogues last night but nothing seemed to happen, still I'm having fun that's the main thing. I have Photoshop CC but not this plug-in.  I do have a focal reducer which I would like to use but with the 071 I require a 6mm spacer which FLO do not stock and I don't want to use other outlets that do so the reducer is on the shelve. It is the 3 inch one, it should have been a Riccadi really but I was not wanting to pay 700 euros.

Alan

33 minutes ago, alan potts said:

The scope is 805mm F7,

OK Alan this is what you should be entering in C du C under Display - Finder Rectangle (CCD):-

Width 100.8

Height 67.0

Later, when you have your template centred on the object that you want to image, toggle the rotation mode on by typing 'Shift C' which will make the template go white. You can then rotate the template around the object using the 'arrow' keys on your keyboard until you get the orientation that you want. Finally read off the rotation angle shown on the template and apply this to the orientation of your camera on the telescope.

Hope that makes sense!

AstroFlat can be purchased from here. I never leave home without it but then I am a beta tester for it!!

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

OK Alan this is what you should be entering in C du C under Display - Finder Rectangle (CCD):-

Width 100.8

Height 67.0

Later, when you have your template centred on the object that you want to image, toggle the rotation mode on by typing 'Shift C' which will make the template go white. You can then rotate the template around the object using the 'arrow' keys on your keyboard until you get the orientation that you want. Finally read off the rotation angle shown on the template and apply this to the orientation of your camera on the telescope.

Hope that makes sense!

AstroFlat can be purchased from here. I never leave home without it but then I am a beta tester for it!!

Thank-you  Steve I will give it a try but don't be surprised if you hare on the news aircraft were re-routed by an unknown force.

Alan

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Hi Alan

What size spacer do you need? M42 or M48? I have a box of bits I can have a rummage through, perhaps a spacer in there I could send you?

I am not totally sure dave, The back space onthe reducer info states 55mm to the sensor. This is as you know I am sure is taken up with Zwo 21mm and 16.5mm spacers but doing this there is no way I believe I can get a IR/UV filter in the light path . The front of the reducer is a large size way over 2 inch filters, I think it is M68. On the other end is the normal M48.

Now as the Zow 16.5mm part is the only one of the 2 that has M48 thread I guess it's the filter thickness minus the 21mm sleeve.

In truth this isn't really a solution as I don't look at a filter and think That's Solid  I imagine I really need a purpose built filter draw or wheel ( where does ones stop, RGB&L filters, 1600pro etc) I don't really see an easy option Dave.

Alan

20 hours ago, Ceph said:

Hello Allan.

I am no expert but I tried some tools in Pixinsight.
DBE first (I know this should have been done earlier, before stretching), Then a starmask and reduced the starbrightness a little, finally a little darker background with HistogramTranformation. I think you are def, on the right track:)

73022482_SoleNeb-JKTest.thumb.jpg.b3891f13655204f6ab190b31cd9e7ea8.jpg

I do know how to do star masks and many other things but just didn't bother as I was so disappointed with the fact I got the orientation completely wrong, this would have been OK if I had the reducer fitted which I can put int by have no way that I can see to get a IR/UV filter in the mix.

I feel Steve with his PS plug-in gave the image a real boost and your efforts greatly improve my half hearted attempt at, I may turn the camera round and try it again.

Alan

19 hours ago, alan potts said:

I am not totally sure dave, The back space onthe reducer info states 55mm to the sensor. This is as you know I am sure is taken up with Zwo 21mm and 16.5mm spacers but doing this there is no way I believe I can get a IR/UV filter in the light path . The front of the reducer is a large size way over 2 inch filters, I think it is M68. On the other end is the normal M48.

Now as the Zow 16.5mm part is the only one of the 2 that has M48 thread I guess it's the filter thickness minus the 21mm sleeve.

In truth this isn't really a solution as I don't look at a filter and think That's Solid  I imagine I really need a purpose built filter draw or wheel ( where does ones stop, RGB&L filters, 1600pro etc) I don't really see an easy option Dave.

Alan

I think I know what you need. A 15mm filter drawer on the back of the reducer, 16.5mm M48-M42 spacer and your camera has 17.5mm to the sensor. This gives you 49mm leaving you 6mm short. You only need a 5mm spacer and 1mm of shim to make up the difference. I'm sure I have a 5mm spacer and some shims you could have. You would just need to source a 2" filter drawer. TS do one or 365 Astronomy is the UK supplier I got mine off.

https://www.365astronomy.com/ts-optics-filter-quick-changer-for-2-filters-m48x0.75-thread-length-15mm-including-filter-drawer.html

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

I think I know what you need. A 15mm filter drawer on the back of the reducer, 16.5mm M48-M42 spacer and your camera has 17.5mm to the sensor. This gives you 49mm leaving you 6mm short. You only need a 5mm spacer and 1mm of shim to make up the difference. I'm sure I have a 5mm spacer and some shims you could have. You would just need to source a 2" filter drawer. TS do one or 365 Astronomy is the UK supplier I got mine off.

https://www.365astronomy.com/ts-optics-filter-quick-changer-for-2-filters-m48x0.75-thread-length-15mm-including-filter-drawer.html

I will see what I can do, kind of you search out this option, probably cheaper than a 68mm filter.

Alan

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Dropped 365 a line, sadly FLO can't help with this one I have already asked.

Alan

17 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Starting to look promising with the 071 there Alan. 

Just struggling a tad with the different processing as compared to the Canon. Just need to practice a bit more. Though with the help I get on here it may not be a bad idea with my clear skies, post the data and leave the processing to the others. I am luck here, it must be a pain to have wonderful gear that you can't use for British weather, I know sometimes back when I started it would be weeks between use of the scope.

Alan

19 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Ok. Just let me know if you need the 5mm spacer and a few steel shims. Got plenty here 👍

I have dropped 365 a line see what they have to say Dave, kind offer  of your, thank-you. I am struggling badly with the bank at the moment, since they put in another lever of security I can use my account to pay you. It's a joke really, they send a text to your mobile, I dare say you have heard of it, the trouble is the system can't see Bulgaria's code, 00359, it can only handle the 0035 part. This then sends a text to a country code that don't exist. Finland and Holland have the same problems because Finland has 3 digits and Holland only 1.  Some egg head didn't think things through, over 3 weeks now, no bank account. Luck has it I can still make Card payment to the likes of FLO but then I have to sit in queue for 10 minutes to ensure my transfer has gone through to pay for it all from here. That's IT for you.  

Alan

On 28/09/2019 at 10:22, alan potts said:

with the Canon it would have been easy to see after the first image

If you are using APT, you can use the Histograms tool to auto-stretch the image.  With it enabled, all the images will auto-stretch.  It does nothing to the data, just the view.

For example, here's a 'before' and 'after' auto-stretch of the California nebula Ha (single frame).

John

APT_Unstretched.jpg

APT_autostretched.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I am struggling badly with the bank at the moment, since they put in another lever of security I can use my account to pay you. It's a joke really, they send a text to your mobile

I have a related problem, Alan.  Though in my case it's because they don't appear to have considered the fact that some people don't actually get a mobile signal and therefore can't receive the text message.  So instead I have to phone them and talk to someone to make transactions.  Which is fine, if a little slow, unless I want to do anything outside their working hours in which case I'm stuffed.

James

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I have a related problem, Alan.  Though in my case it's because they don't appear to have considered the fact that some people don't actually get a mobile signal and therefore can't receive the text message.  So instead I have to phone them and talk to someone to make transactions.  Which is fine, if a little slow, unless I want to do anything outside their working hours in which case I'm stuffed.

James

Totally and utter stupid isn't it, why try to fix a system that as far I can see was n't broken.

Alan

14 minutes ago, Starwiz said:

If you are using APT, you can use the Histograms tool to auto-stretch the image.  With it enabled, all the images will auto-stretch.  It does nothing to the data, just the view.

For example, here's a 'before' and 'after' auto-stretch of the California nebula Ha (single frame).

John

APT_Unstretched.jpg

APT_autostretched.jpg

Yes I saw this and do use it, I really meant after the capture, I think I am over stretching in some cases, but at the moment with other small problems I had, Flat are maybe out of sync and Darks may well need re-doing. I am putting a new mount in very soon so no point in bothering too much. Stay tuned though I am bound to cause myself some problem or the other.

Alan

• Like 1