Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M108 and M97

russ

last night, with the crystal clear skies, I had my best view yet of these two.. Using the 12.5" dob they were framed together in the 26mm Swan. They make a great sight.M108 looks like a dimmer version of M82. But easy to spot. With M97 I couldn't see the eyes in the Owl but there was no missing it. The pair comfortably fitted into the field of the 26mm.These two from a really dark site in a big scope would be a beautiful sight.

Anyone else seen these two together?

Russ (a bit knackered and worse for wear today).

What a great night indeed... Was out till midnight with the ED (boy I love this scope). First out from 2.30pm for day lunar viewing, back out @ 4.30 for Venus & jupiter (that was nice because the seeing was the best I've had this year!!!.)

Then from 8.30pm through to midnight... was it cold... you bet!. The freezing dew got the better of the scope by 10pm so had to hair dryer the dew down.

I think I managed everything an 80mm could poss see last night!... superb.

Rob

Yes i have also seen these two objects , but in the spring when higher up i found them in my 6inch tal reflector , i have now got an 8 inch dob so will have another go.

Both were very faint but with averted vision , dark sky both were found in the fov.

Pretty certain these wouldn't be visible in a 6 from my location. An 8 just about i would say. Be interested to hear how they appear in an 8 from your dark skies?

Rob, i was in and out all last night. Finally packing up at 3am. I did have the ED out for the early evening to view the Moon, Venus and Jupiter.

You're absolutely right Carol :D

So you have seen it in a 120 achro, which i suppose has the same light grasp as a 6" newt. Perhaps it would be visible in a 6" newt from my location? May have to get Rob to bring over the 150P and test it out.

Pretty certain these wouldn't be visible in a 6 from my location. An 8 just about i would say. Be interested to hear how they appear in an 8 from your dark skies?

Rob, i was in and out all last night. Finally packing up at 3am. I did have the ED out for the early evening to view the Moon, Venus and Jupiter.

I live in malvern worcestershire and being in a town the sky is not bad at all in my 8 inch dob i was just able to see M74 [without moon]

In my own back garden so to see that i can't really complain .

Nice report Russ :hello2:

I've picked out these two with my 8" dob on a decent night - the Owl really benefits from a UHC filter while the galaxy does not. I find the Nagler 31mm excellent for this pair :D

I have found the Owl with my 102mm ED frac as well on a really good night - definately needs a UHC filter with that scope though once found you can remove the filter and still just about see the nebula.

John

Hello Rus, your view sounds unforgetable. I had a go at The Owl with 8.5inch BeaconHill scope and 20mm ep but saw nothing. I suppose it needs wide field so I may have a go with my bigger scope. M108 does look a bit like m82 but I shall look out for the Owl's eyes.

John, It's definitely a widefield job. The pair will go into the same eyepiece on my setup if using the 26mm SWA. By the sounds of it you won't have a problem seeing it in the 8 (Carol and John picked it up in a 4" frac, so shouldn't be a problem). I think i may have had dew on the secondary Saturday night which wouldn't of helped.

John, I'll give the Ultrablock a try next time. can't believe i forgot to use it.

Popped out again this morning (19th Dec) with no intention of looking at this pair again. Moon was up and thin high cloud. Yet the Ursa Major side of the sky looked quite dark, so couldn't resist. Besides the scope hadn't cooled sufficiently for a good view of the Moon or Saturn.

Was amazed they were so easy to find under dubious conditions. Just went straight to M108 and no missing it, then M97 popped in no problem. So i'm 110% sure that my secondary was dewed over when i did the previous observation. They were actually brighter this morning with a moonlit sky and high cloud.

But what i really wanted to try was the Narrowband filter on M97, i completely forgot last time. And the result..........oh wow! How much better is that? A lot brighter but more importantly a glimpse of the Owl eyes :( That makes my last day at work before Christmas a little easier to bare.

Also gave the Neodymium a try and found it improved the view of M108. Just stood out a little better. Also had a nice view of M81/M82.

hehe so chuffed

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen these two before but last night's seeing was bad. I saw them last night but M97 was just a circular smudge in the Ethos with no eyes visible with or without the UHC filter. I thought my collimation was out and checked it with the autocollimator but it was OK. They're easily framed together with the Pentax XW30 eyepiece.

Yes looked this evening , and found M97 and M108 used 20mm eyepiece and just about fit them in fov decided to use the 40mm but both objects became very faint .

So i will try 32mm next time as this i think will be a good magnification .

M97 a small disc/ M108 a bar of light.

Archived