NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Warming after cooling

alan potts

Just wondering what most of you do for this warming aspect of APT, I dare say other programs have it as well. Is it necessary to warm the chip right to ambient, after all some of us may not know what the temperature is after a few hours capturing, or is OK to just take through the the first 70% or so.

Alan

28 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

I use APT for cooling and warming because it has the option of choosing steps.

They say it's safer !

Yes I do but when the ambient here is say 23 degrees does one have to bring it back up to that or can you stop at say 16 degrees was what I was asking, it seems to take a very long time.

Next week I will be on a USB 3 connections so hopefully it will improve things in general because live view is poor.

Alan

I see your point now and I am smiling because I always had the same question.....anyway APT never reaches the ambient temp....

Me what I do is to set approximately the ambient temp or take a reading from weather underground....and then hit warm.....I let it stop where it stops usually a few degrees less than the ambient temp....then it will reach the ambient temp on its own without any problems to the camera.

Or you can choose the warm to the option that you don't set any ambient temp....and let the driver do the warm up.

Now if you use the original software of your cc'd then it might push it to reach the ambient temp that you set.

The choice is yours , so far APT never destroyed any of my cameras 😀

• Like 1

I have to say I was somewhat amused when I saw Warming, when all talk is of how cold you can get them. I haven't pushed it too hard here because it has bee 23-6C of an evening when I start so elected to cool to just minus 5, I will go colder as the nights cool off. I think I will just carry on the same then dropping a few degrees short, it isn't as you say going to jump from say 14-18 in seconds, my thoughts were it was coming through minus to just above zero, most important.

Alan

You live in a hot location, so you won;t be able to use some of the lower temperatures that we use here in the UK.  I use -15 with an Atik camera, but I know a lot of people go much lower than this.

As regards warming up, this is to avoid thermal shock.  I tend to switch off once my camera gets a few degrees above Zero as I feel it's not suddenly going from freezing cold to warm.  Not had a problem so far.

RE: APT, I stopped using that for CCD imaging some years ago as I didn't feel I could trust the temperature to be reliable as the Exif reads out  that were coming through did not match the temperature I had selected and varied from one image to another.  It may well be that IVO has made improvements to this since I last tried it, so have been using Artemis ever since which I love.  I still have a licence for APT, and there are many more bells and whistles to that, so what are other people's opinions on the reliability of the temperature in APT?

Carole 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carastro said:

You live in a hot location, so you won;t be able to use some of the lower temperatures that we use here in the UK.  I use -15 with an Atik camera, but I know a lot of people go much lower than this.

As regards warming up, this is to avoid thermal shock.  I tend to switch off once my camera gets a few degrees above Zero as I feel it's not suddenly going from freezing cold to warm.  Not had a problem so far.

RE: APT, I stopped using that for CCD imaging some years ago as I didn't feel I could trust the temperature to be reliable as the Exif reads out  that were coming through did not match the temperature I had selected and varied from one image to another.  It may well be that IVO has made improvements to this since I last tried it, so have been using Artemis ever since which I love.  I still have a licence for APT, and there are many more bells and whistles to that, so what are other people's opinions on the reliability of the temperature in APT?

Carole 

Yes Carole it seems now that they have sorted it as all my images have the set temperature and are all the same in APT, i set to -20oC.

2 hours ago, carastro said:

Carole 

No issues here with apt, running 2 x CCDs and the temp is always on the money.

Re warming. I go to 5 deg C and they turn off. Similar to you. No issues noted. I just wouldn’t want to go from -20 and turn off.

I was imaging at -15 but realistically-20 is never an issue (apart to not being able to take calibration data during the day of some summer days.)  But that’s 99.9% not an issue 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carastro said:

Carole 

Carole you clearly haven't been here in winter, it can get down to minus 30, not often but I seen it a few times, dry air though. He told me he is working on something now for APT and Zwo, maybe other cameras too.

Alan

10 hours ago, carastro said:

Actually Alan, I haven't been to Bulgaria at all lol, but my daughter has.

Obviously scrap my comments then.

Carole 

Extreme climate plus 42 in the height of summer and minus 30 plus in the deep of winter, of course you will not find me outside in that. One morning about 5 years ago I looked at the system and it said it was minus 26, I had been outside in a T shirt, the air was so dry, mind you had there been a wind, my arms would have dropped off.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen that ATIK tells you to let the camera warm slowly (what do you do if you have a power cut - will that kill the camera?). I have not seen any warnings about this from ZWO so I just turn offl my ASI cameras. Could it be a CCD vs CMOS issue, or is it all superstision?

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

I have seen that ATIK tells you to let the camera warm slowly (what do you do if you have a power cut - will that kill the camera?). I have not seen any warnings about this from ZWO so I just turn offl my ASI cameras. Could it be a CCD vs CMOS issue, or is it all superstision?

I warm mine slowly but not too slow lol. 

I have had many camera disconnections etc and its not killed anything yet. But for the sake of a few mins to warm it.....

Adam 

On 21/09/2019 at 05:51, alan potts said:

Just wondering what most of you do for this warming aspect of APT, I dare say other programs have it as well. Is it necessary to warm the chip right to ambient, after all some of us may not know what the temperature is after a few hours capturing, or is OK to just take through the the first 70% or so.

Alan

On APT you will note that the cooler power is displayed on the top left of the screen. Once that had gone to zero there is no difference compaired to just letting it naturally warm. The most rapid warming occurs at the max temperature differential and that the bit that has the most potential to cause damage...if any. 

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

On APT you will note that the cooler power is displayed on the top left of the screen. Once that had gone to zero there is no difference compaired to just letting it naturally warm. The most rapid warming occurs at the max temperature differential and that the bit that has the most potential to cause damage...if any. 

Thanks Adam, I have sort of been taking it steady from Minus 5 or whatever up to Plus one or two the shutting it of a 6 degrees, think basically what you have told me.

Alan