Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first image

Calzune

Yesterday was the day i finally got everything right with polar align, focus and clear skies (but very windy)

I couldn't decide what to photograph so I went with the veil nebula. (not the best first object , but fun anyway)

ISO 800

Shutterspeed 90 sec

No guidescope

30 lights, 20 darks, 20 flat, 20 bias

97% waxing moon

What do you think of my final edit?

I

I don't know much about Photoshop so I just followed a YouTube video.

Veil .png

Edited by Calzune
edit
  • Like 1

Just now, PeterCPC said:

I think that longer exposures are what is needed really. Looking good so far - keep at it.

Peter

okey, thanks. I have heard that without autoguiding around 90 sec is whats best for heq 5 pro.. but Ill try 2 min tonight 😃

Well you should have good dark skies in Skovde, my eldest son lives just outside Alingsas not far from you and the skies are great. (Sorry about no dots over the o's and a's !)

The biggest single benefit you will probably ever get in astroimaging is adding guiding. It doesn't have to be expensive. A converted finderscope and cheap camera will do it.

Then you are not limited to short exposures and worrying about trailing etc.

Great first effort - keep at it!

• Like 1

Just now, Skipper Billy said:

Well you should have good dark skies in Skovde, my eldest son lives just outside Alingsas not far from you and the skies are great. (Sorry about no dots over the o's and a's !)

The biggest single benefit you will probably ever get in astroimaging is adding guiding. It doesn't have to be expensive. A converted finderscope and cheap camera will do it.

Then you are not limited to short exposures and worrying about trailing etc.

Great first effort - keep at it!

Okey cool, yea I have around in 5-6 bortle scale here so its ok for me 😁

got any link, tips for a cheap guide system? I have my eyes on this combo from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/sky-watcher-9x50-finder-adapter-zwo-asi120mm-bundle.html

but this is almost as same price as my evostar.. are there any cheaper combos ?

1 hour ago, Calzune said:

...but this is almost as same price as my evostar.. are there any cheaper combos ?

I find the second hand market is the way to go!

Regards capturing the veil nebula, since there was a 97% moon present when you took your exposures it would be very difficult to capture a target like this without a narrowband Hydrogen Alpha filter (and possibly a modified DSLR).  Without a modification to the camera, or a narrowband filter your best bet would be to try to shoot this target on a night when the pesky moon is not getting in the way (and longer exposures as others have said above).

• Like 1

Great that you are starting your journey into astrophotography. You'll have lots of fun, lots of challenges and not a few frustrations along the way - but it's well worth it!

I can see that some of your stars are already trailing, so would recommend reducing your exposure time per frame, rather than increasing it (at least not until you are using a guider). You will be much better collecting many more frames and stacking them to increase your total exposure unguided. That will help with the noise too.

Certainly, as advised, you will have better signal when the moon is out of the way. 

Also, you may find ISO 1600 is the optimum ISO for the 1100D (https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/167076-the-noise-produced-by-a-canon-1100d-at-various-iso-settings-and-temperatures/) . See also https://ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

Great first image - better than mine! Well done.

John

Edited by Jokehoba
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calzune said:

got any link, tips for a cheap guide system? I have my eyes on this combo from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/sky-watcher-9x50-finder-adapter-zwo-asi120mm-bundle.html

You wont do it well for much less than that without going down the secondhand route. The one in the link is a good proven performer and will guide anything up about 1000mm FL without any difficulty.

image.png.68b0beab59397113175555a6e5b6fcdd.png

I think the cheapest route for you is to go back to your data, I think you have moved the black point across too aggressively and clipped some fainter nebulosity; but even so my stretch of a screen grab shows there's more data in there. Also worth looking for a gradient removal action/plugin  for your imaging software.

Sorry, can't resist doing a bit more, hope you don't mind and this inspires you to do more processing!

image.png.5d1e3d09b99b07c4078ae0022163b5d4.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

image.png.68b0beab59397113175555a6e5b6fcdd.png

I think the cheapest route for you is to go back to your data, I think you have moved the black point across too aggressively and clipped some fainter nebulosity; but even so my stretch of a screen grab shows there's more data in there. Also worth looking for a gradient removal action/plugin m for your imaging software,

Hmm Okey thanks , i dont know all tips and tricks yet of photoshop... 

I have a QHY8L imaging camera and its guided too. I took this image the other night with 3 x 10 min subs stacked.(I'd obviously want a lot more time and subs but was just checking gear still worked after 6 months in a box) It's just to give you some idea with more time spent and stretching etc.

I took some great shots of the veil last year and was up to a few hours of data but unfortunately have lost it.

Keep going 🙂

69868522_10212647040564593_8971130110799249408_o.jpg