NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris and Ghost Nebula Mosaic

tooth_dr

This is my first overnight session of the year.  It began with some equipment issues, but after I got that sorted I settled on the Ghost Nebula.  I had some older data of the Iris from Sept 2018 and Nov 2018, so I was planning on making a mosaic.

I think there was cloud later on as some of subs has extended star trailing.  But PHD must have regained a new star, and subsequent subs were ok, and contributed to extending the mosaic!

Data from Atik 383L+ and QHY9M, over three nights, using luminance filter

Sept 18 = 33 x 600s / Nov 18 = 10 x 300s / Sept 19 = 60 x 300s

Total integration time = 12.25 hours (split over the three panels).

Capture: APT

Processing: APP and PS

Overall I am actually quite pleased, but I feel like it lacks contrast between the light and dark areas.  I appreciate the area is full of dust but any tips welcome.  I was inspired by images of the Ghost Nebula on here and that is why I went for it.

Any input or comments welcome.

CS

Adam

Iris-Ghost-Nebula-.jpg

raw-mosaic.jpg

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, tomato said:

Lovely mosaic, APP  doing it’s stuff I take it? Lots of dust there, I think this region looks great in monochrome.

Lots of images being posted of these subjects at the moment, I can see why.

APP works wonders with mosaics. I have a new decent spec pc and it took over 60 minutes to crunch it all out 😮 Two cameras, two scopes, four nights, different orientations, ending with a seemless piece of magic. 

• Like 1

Great image Adam. Didn't realise how close the Ghost is to the Iris. I also tried the Ghost after seeing an image posted here, (same one as you I expect :smile:) and took  600s RG and B images (10 of each to start with). There was little to no colour in the Ghost and it was very noisy, so I didn't add any more. I should have added some luminance, so may have another go in the future.

Alan

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I’m not sure I’ll have the commitment to add RGB 😂

I agree with above that you should continue. I always remember what a wildlife photographer told me a long, long time ago...."Rather spend the time to get one awesome image than spend the time getting lots of nice images".

I think it applies to astrophotography (and many other things in life).

Not that I am saying that your image is "nice", it is very, very good, but could be awesome with some colour 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

I agree with above that you should continue. I always remember what a wildlife photographer told me a long, long time ago...."Rather spend the time to get one awesome image than spend the time getting lots of nice images".

Not that I am saying that your image is "nice", it is very, very good, but could be awesome with some colour 😉

Thanks Stu.  It's the thought of four panels and 3 filters per panel that's putting me off!

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Stu.  It's the thought of four panels and 3 filters per panel that's putting me off!

Very nice Adam!

I agree, it would be a shame not to see all the lovely brown dust you've captured. If the thought of capturing it all seems a bit daunting, then how's about blitzing it with something quick like 8 X 300s (Binned) for just R and B (and synthesize the G). That way, with your dual rig, you could gather enough data for all 4 panels in only ~3 hrs, and it should be enough to get you a nice result.

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice Adam!

I agree, it would be a shame not to see all the lovely brown dust you've captured. If the thought of capturing it all seems a bit daunting, then how's about blitzing it with something quick like 8 X 300s (Binned) for just R and B (and synthesize the G). That way, with your dual rig, you could gather enough data for all 4 panels in only ~3 hrs, and it should be enough to get you a nice result.

Cheers Ciaran. It would be nice to get it done.  I only have RGB on one camera, but I can get more lum whilst I'm getting colour.  I need to get SGPro, this was manually aligned, PITA.

Very nice image that I think warrants RGB adding, it is the perfect base for an awesome image

4 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

I always remember what a wildlife photographer told me a long, long time ago...."Rather spend the time to get one awesome image than spend the time getting lots of nice images".

I agree with you Stuart, its a pity others don't take note of it......and as a wildlife photographer once said to me "People will only remember your last BAD image"

Thanks Dave,  I will now seriously reconsider the RGB!

I would like to point out that I've spent four nights on this one so far, and I do try to dedicate time to individual images :D

Below is some of the above data (the 2018 data), combined with DSLR data taken at the same time.  I agreed colour would be nice addition, along with a bit more luminance.

image.thumb.png.ccc15443c8b3a3714a470adb8adc7cf9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_galera said:

I agree with you Stuart, its a pity others don't take note of it......and as a wildlife photographer once said to me "People will only remember your last BAD image"

Sorry Adam....this comment was NOT aimed at you, it was just a general comment regarding the general quality of some images posted........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dave_galera said:

Sorry Adam....this comment was NOT aimed at you, it was just a general comment regarding the general quality of some images posted........

I didnt think it was, so no problems at all Dave.  I agree and I much prefer one good image, than a few ok ones, I think it's a virtue that comes with age lol

I’d not heard of the “Ghost Nebula” until seeing images of it recently on SGL.  Is it the little bat-like thing at the top of your mosaic?

Good image by the way.  I never have much luck with the dusty stuff, I think my background light pollution is too much for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dave_galera said:

A bit harsh, I think.

I'm sure that most people post the best images that their equipment, skills and location allows them to produce.

Whether we choose to 'nail' an image with a vast amount of data or move on must, surely, be a personal choice.  

Personally (:D) I hope that Adam goes after the RGB for his luminance because the luminance is very good indeed. This is, of course, a difficult target but it is, therefore, an interesting one. It's also interesting because the small dusty structures are so utterly bizarre. My brain absolutely refuses not to see human figures. I also wonder if they might not be fractals - but I'm already out of my depth.

Olly

Lovely Iris, Adam!

I also went for this target recently, but I won't be able to process it soon. By that time, you might be able to shoot that RGB too.

If interested, when I get back from holidays, I can share with you some 11h of good full frame DSLR data shot through the Esprit 80 from under really good skies and some luminance too.

Gyulbudaghian's nebula looks interesting too these days, like a jet, and it's not too far out of your framing

22 minutes ago, alexbb said:

Lovely Iris, Adam!

I also went for this target recently, but I won't be able to process it soon. By that time, you might be able to shoot that RGB too.

If interested, when I get back from holidays, I can share with you some 11h of good full frame DSLR data shot through the Esprit 80 from under really good skies and some luminance too.

Gyulbudaghian's nebula looks interesting too these days, like a jet, and it's not too far out of your framing

Hi Alex, thanks for the comment.

So i google this nebula that you mention, and then realised that it's beside LBN 468.  Then I remembered I imaged it last year (cheers for that) but never got round to processing it properly.  So I restacked the data tonight and a quick run through PS, and I've very quickly attached the data to the mosaic and it actually joins up.  (This was before I paid attention to orientation of the camera on the scope).  Looks like an opportunity to do a larger mosaic.

"LBN 468 is a nebula 1,600 light years away from earth in the constellation Cepheus.  At the bottom right there is a nebula is called Gyulbudaghian’s Nebula. The reflection nebula is generated by shock waves from a contracting protostar, PV Cephei."

1541431120_Gyulbudaghiansnebula.jpg.70df4edce8c3e22b07d1d28ed08475c8.jpg

1596808664_MosaicwithLBN468.thumb.jpg.7056fd6dbc47e0a7fdc595458edce8bc.jpg

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

Thats a super rendition.....love that deep area full of faint fluff, 

Thanks Peter for your comment.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Whether we choose to 'nail' an image with a vast amount of data or move on must, surely, be a personal choice.  

Personally (:D) I hope that Adam goes after the RGB for his luminance because the luminance is very good indeed. This is, of course, a difficult target but it is, therefore, an interesting one. It's also interesting because the small dusty structures are so utterly bizarre. My brain absolutely refuses not to see human figures. I also wonder if they might not be fractals - but I'm already out of my depth.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I too see people :D

On 02/09/2019 at 19:45, Hallingskies said:

I’d not heard of the “Ghost Nebula” until seeing images of it recently on SGL.  Is it the little bat-like thing at the top of your mosaic?

Good image by the way.  I never have much luck with the dusty stuff, I think my background light pollution is too much for it.

Thanks!  I think that's part of the 'Ghost Nebula'

On 02/09/2019 at 16:31, astro mick said:

Great result Adam.

Mick.

Cheers Mick, thanks :)