Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dreadful Camera Night

Stub Mandrel

Woe is me!

My AS1 120MC won't guide for more than a few minutes without locking up. I've reinstalled the driver (again...) and not even sure this has helped.

Plus... my 450D (on remote timer) suddenly made a series of very quick exposures the showed the 'saving images when switched off screen'.

Now it won't turn on, at all. I've tried three different batteries.

This may be the end :-(

I haven't used it with USB for over two years!

But... I put a battery back in this morning and it dipalyed a menu. When I tried to get it into preview mode the blue 'pictbridge/computer connection' light started flashing feebly - I had to look at the manual to see what it was.

Seems it thinks its connected to something 😞

Check the USB port, I had loads of issues last night with my 600D, intermittently dropping\'fouling' the connection.

It turned out to be some detritus\sloppy connection in the socket. Not only was it dropping the camera connection, but also was screwing up everything else plugged into the local hub, i.e. mount\focuser etc.

Now for some micro-surgery on the socket.

• Like 1

If you're not using the Canon connected to a PC, so you're only saving to the SD card, then switch off " Release shutter without card" and try with and without a card

Or switch it on and try with and  without a card in the camera. 

But now sounds like the battery died at a Bad Time....... 

Michael 

• Like 1

It may be the battery died at a bad time, but i've trire swapping teh SD card and using with and without it.

Sometimes the blue light flashes when I put battery in (even though turned off), it then remains unresponsive.

Sometimes a menu screen appears for a second, then it either goes blank screen or briefly shows the shooting info screen before going blank.

Sometimes it goes straight to thr shooting info, then goes blank.

Twice it stayed on the shooting screen for a few seconds and when blank when I touched the shutter button.

The USB socket is clean, I removed the cooler and looked inside..

I did remove and reattach the cooler yesterday so MAY have prodded something when filddling the remote jack back in. But if so, why would it work fine for an hour or two then throw a wobbly?

And why does my guide camera go funny AND my desktop forget my work password leaving me without email, all on the same night?

Perhaps their was a giant EMP or a massive solar flare....?

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

And why does my guide camera go funny AND my desktop forget my work password leaving me without email, all on the same night?

Perhaps their was a giant EMP or a massive solar flare....?

Or a Russian hacker?

James

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

For your camera, all the info should be here https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_450d.html?type=drivers&language=&os=windows 10 (64-bit) 

There's usually a button combination that has to be held when powering on that sets up the additional modes, i.e. updates

I've visited that page many times.

Alas no, the only root to a hard reset is leaving the battery out for a couple of weeks until the internal battery goes flat 😞

Can anyone find a download of the Eos utilities for the 450 - connecting to a computer might be what it thinks its doing so trying it might work.

Thing is Canon only make the updater available for download and I haven't got the CD 😞

Important Information

Please be aware that this is an update version of this software and can only be used when you have a full version installed. 
The full version can be installed from:

- The original CD that came with your product, 
- Downloading the 'Recommended for you' bundle or from the 'Full Version' tab if available.

Sorry to hear of your issues.  It goes like that sometimes, it is most frustrating but all part of the madness we call a hobby.....🙈  Weeks without a clear night and one comes along and IT issues.....  Same with me Saturday night.  Gave up in the end.

44 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sadly the download link appears to be broken  - must be a 'lost' page they never tidied away?

How irritating.  You might try a search for "ksd291a_installer.zip" to see if that throws anything useful your way.  I believe it's the file you're after.  At 189MB it's unfortunately a bit too large to be practical to upload somewhere for you to grab over my bit of wet string.

James

Actually, if all else fails Neil, let me know and I can probably stick something in the post to you.  Maybe even something useful :D

As a wise man (the networks ops manager at a company I used to work at; became a multi-millionaire almost by accident by the time he was 45, retired, and now floats around the world on his own yacht) once said to me: "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a truckload of CDs".

James

47 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Go to Canon USA, Support, choose camera, choose Drivers and Downloads, choose PC OS version, choose software, first offer is the CD ISO for people without one. 

Michael 

Afraid that just gives me the updater like the UK and Canadian sites.

The page about Eos Utility states:

**Note: If EOS Utility Software is not listed. Download the “EOS Digital Solution Disk Software” This download contains EOS Utility among other software for your camera.

**Note: “EOS Utility Updater” is only an update, not the full software. Only download this if you have EOS Utility already installed on your computer.

But the only version you can download is 3.X, you need 2.x for the older cameras.

But... At last, it started apparently normally. Rather than just go ahead and try and make an exposure, I updated the firmware (from 1.1.0 to 1.1.0) just in case!

And now it appears to be working again. I'm leaving it overnight before I refit the cooler.

I'm wondering if it was condensation, yesterday I 'improved' the insulation on the cold finger where it's outside the camera. It passes close to the USB socket and may have made it wet. I'll have a go at sealing the area a bit better with more foam.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions folks.

Damn. I'm waiting on an invoice to be settled, if it had happened I might have pressed fire on a mono cam...