Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan AZ and EQ handsets

Hi all

I've been offered a Skywatcher AZ go to mount (like this one https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto-telescope.html)

However,  it doesn't come with a handset.  My question is, is there any difference between the AZ handset required for this mount and the EQ handset which I use with my EQ3 Pro mount?   If not I can share my handset between the mounts as I'm unlikely to be using both mounts at the same time. 

Cheers, 

Mark. 

6 minutes ago, Phillips6549 said:

Hi all

I've been offered a Skywatcher AZ go to mount (like this one https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto-telescope.html)

However,  it doesn't come with a handset.  My question is, is there any difference between the AZ handset required for this mount and the EQ handset which I use with my EQ3 Pro mount?   If not I can share my handset between the mounts as I'm unlikely to be using both mounts at the same time. 

Cheers, 

Mark. 

The handset firmware works for both EQ and AZ mounts. All you will need is the correct handset to mount cable.

13 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The handset firmware works for both EQ and AZ mounts. All you will need is the correct handset to mount cable.

Ok,  so the selection between AZ and EQ is coded in the cable rather than in the mount itself.   Thanks. 

Mark. 

Edited by Phillips6549
Typo

Hi,

for a plain  alt-az  mount   on a wedge, is there a way to fool the controller  into thinking its an  EQ? What's  the difference in the cables, if  any?  

On 20/08/2019 at 07:49, Cornelius Varley said:

The handset detects the mount type and selects the appropriate tracking modes.

regards,

Jerzy

I've used a az-goto v3 synscan handset with an AZ-Goto, and an AZ-GTi in both AZ-only  and AZ/EQ modes. By observation I can tell you the handset gets a signal from the firmware on your Goto mount to indicate whether the mount is capable of AZ, EQ or both. This means unfortunately you can't select EQ mode for an AZ-only mount with a wedge. 

The cable is only significant in that they can be different connectors for different mounts. 

Hope this helps

Ady 

Edit: this is confirmed in the Synscan v3 manual on the skywatcher website. 

Edited by adyj1

Having now got the AZ Goto mount I can confirm two things:

1. The cables are different between the AZ Goto mount and the EQ3-Pro.   AZ Goto has an RJ11 connector at the mount end while the EQ3-Pro uses an RJ45.

2. With the correct cable fitted my v4 Synscan Handset works perfectly with either mount.

I have also confirmed that this hobby is a continual sink for cash as I've now ordered a Synscan WiFi Adapter as well!  (Not sure which mount this will live on yet.)

Clear skies 

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I did look there but there wasn't one available.  Eventually went to Tring Astro (sorry FLO) who were excellent when Royal Mail lost the parcel.  They sent out a second adapter unprompted and - of course - now both have arrived!  I can now give Royal Mail a second chance to lose one when I return the duplicate. 😀

I tried my Virtuoso's Az/Alt Dob. mount on a wedge, and by setting the Alt to the North Celestial Pole, i.e. 90 degrees, I was able to get EQ tracking on the Az axis, with no (obvious) Alt movement.

So, with Az Synscan, and a wedge, and the latitude setting at 90 deg. N, it should be possible to get a reasonable EQ operation. Synscan's alignment correction should remove most of the remaining setup errors.

Note to self:- I should try this with my Virtuoso's wedge between the Skymax mount and tripod.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
Note added
  • Like 1