Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monday Prom action 5-8-19

xtreemchaos

smash n grab today with the cloud so only short vids to play with. but theres some nice proms if you get the chance.

kit starwave 102 f11, quark, asi120mc.

hope you all have better skys than me. thanks for looking. charl.

oncoming upper.

2012771780_prom5-8-19.thumb.png.88ee7c3535a85916371fcccaa183f3c8.png

off going upper. theres a flyaway bit if you look closely.

1049070530_prom15-8-19.thumb.png.892bfbe729d65e57d92faf62c4aa1962.png

• Like 8

Well done!

We have very disturbed or cloudy weather over here.

BTW: What is the "thick crust" you see on the limb in H-alpha images?

Edited by Rusted
Edit.
  • Like 1

Peter, is correct.

with single etalon solar Ha scopes (+/- 0.7) and poor characteristics ( poor blocking) can show the Photosphere as a “solid” edge with the Chromosphere suspended above at the limb.

with tighter bandwidth (and effective blocking) the photosphere is suppressed and only the Chromospheric edge is seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, xtreemchaos said:

I've never tried one or owned one but who knows may make a difference might clean the image and sharpen a bit by blocking . charl.

Thanks. I have a 2" single polariser I can borrow from my Lacerta Herschel prism.

Might be worth a try. Nothing ventured..

Just need some sun! With occasional cloudbursts I don't plan to water cool the telescopes.

• Like 1

Interesting. Now I'm wondering whether my "ripple masking" in SharpCap is caused by camera heating.

I leave my telescopes tracking the sun for hours sometimes. Including the PST 6" H-a mod fitted with the 120MC.

It might be a good idea to have rod operated, objective lens covers. I can't usually reach the objectives in summer. :blush:

• Like 1

in WL i find a ND moon filter works wonders with detail of spots it adds to the contrast, im not really into the mechanics im really just here to see the sights and the sheer mightyness of sol even tho i ive picked a bit of the science a long the way im not one to get overloaded with it 😀 charl.

• Like 2

I doubt much direct sun can reach a little ZWO on the back of a larger tracking telescope.

Point taken on the filtering. If the image was "warm" it would hurt our eyes doing visual.

• Like 1

What about evaporative camera cooling? Throw in a bit of Venturi effect for extra velocity.
Moistened felt muff wrapped tightly around the sides, back and front of the ZWO camera body.
All contained in a simple, concentric duct/tank formed by a cylindrical outer tube.
Add a ring baffle at the front to maintain a tightly wrapped, high velocity airflow throughout.

Fan on the back blowing forwards. To exit at the front of the camera around the drawtube through a ring baffle.
The narrow annulus completely encasing the camera body should ensure some cooling over ambient.
Having the fan sucking should work too due to the tightly constrained air volume.

Spray bottle to damp the felt between captures? Pop the tank back on.
Add a temperature sensor, sit back and chill. Hours of fun!  :thumbsup:

evaporative fan cooling.jpg

Edited by Rusted
Image added

hes already tried it condension was the problem , proper water coolings the next step but not using water, the stuff hes going to use has a name im not even going to try and spell with my word blindness but its 30 times better at conducting heat than water 😀😀

• Like 1