Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TEC 140 photos / dimensions

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

You know I did think about it, and would find a way to afford it but I doubt we have the skies to warrant the extra resolution it offers over the 140.

Don't tempt me!

Go on do it!  You only live once and you have all that great kit in your signature.  I wish I would have done now, even a 180.  The 160 has extra aperture and even better colour correction than the already superb 140!  When I am - god willing - a youthful and fit 58 year old retiree in six years, I am going to get a as a present to myself a TEC200 from my lump sum.  I already nudged Yuri !

Edited by kirkster501

12 minutes ago, Jonk said:

That's ok, I need time to convince the bank at home to go for it anyway!

Yuri will want a deposit of - I think it was $1200 when I ordered mine - to get on to the next batch list.  He does this because he builds to order and can sell all his production runs multiple times over and does not want time wasters.

The £/$ rate is not favourable either at the moment.  When I bought mine the rate was about $1.55 to a £sterling.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the pier is finally somewhere where it can be modified!

IMG_8083.thumb.JPG.c1828b0a2d11b81a1d1aaac361eec82e.JPG

This is the machine that will make the cuts - up to 300mm diameter tube with high accuracy apparently!

IMG_8082.thumb.JPG.a890bf275dfbf80e92e8343d6154f1f7.JPG

The only thing I don't like about this is the cost - but it's the best I could do and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Looking forwards to getting it back so I can start to dig for gold!

They know full well they only have 1 chance to get it right!

It's a boat yard down at Hamble Marina so they primarily do boat and yacht repairs, so should be good at cutting and welding.

Nah, I did think of that but there's much more to do on top.

Once I'd shown them what I wanted and why, they were happy to get on with it.

I want it to look vaguely professional!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Ooooh guess what's ready to take to the powder coaters?!

IMG_8221.JPG.99dd8ff926d0dc26e5bda4d78ddf5575.JPG

That does look like a seriously heavy duty pier.

Talk about future proofing, I think you could sit a 20" newt on that and not worry about weight issues. ☺

But better to do once and do properly 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/08/2019 at 18:58, kirkster501 said:

Go on do it!  You only live once and you have all that great kit in your signature.  I wish I would have done now, even a 180.  The 160 has extra aperture and even better colour correction than the already superb 140!  When I am - god willing - a youthful and fit 58 year old retiree in six years, I am going to get a as a present to myself a TEC200 from my lump sum.  I already nudged Yuri !

'The TEC180 represents a small increase in resolution for a large increase in spending.' This came from a reliable source - TEC's own website! In truth they've now changed it but I'm all but sure it used to say this because it always made me laugh. However, it remains perfectly true. 0.66 arcsecs for the 180 against 0.8 arcsecs for the 140 and a threefold increase in cost. Will this affect resolution in imaging? Hard to say. On nights of very good seeing it might, just. On most of the nights I experience I don't think it would.

However, my friend not far away has an AP175 and just looking at this scope, let alone through it, would entertain me for hours! Refractors in this class just look fabulous.

Olly

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

'The TEC180 represents a small increase in resolution for a large increase in spending.' This came from a reliable source - TEC's own website! In truth they've now changed it but I'm all but sure it used to say this because it always made me laugh. However, it remains perfectly true. 0.66 arcsecs for the 180 against 0.8 arcsecs for the 140 and a threefold increase in cost. Will this affect resolution in imaging? Hard to say. On nights of very good seeing it might, just. On most of the nights I experience I don't think it would.

However, my friend not far away has an AP175 and just looking at this scope, let alone through it, would entertain me for hours! Refractors in this class just look fabulous.

Olly

Yep, agreed mate.   In my case would be a visual scope too - not just for AP.  Over £23k for a scope landed at Kirk Towers....... Wowee..........

On 12/10/2019 at 16:59, kirkster501 said:

In my case would be a visual scope too - not just for AP.

This would likely be my reasoning too, however, I could probably afford to buy a 140 in the next year or 2 if I save hard, but anything bigger will have to wait until retirement (long way off), re-mortgage or good fortune somehow.

The extra resolution isn't going to be worthwhile for imaging in our skies sadly.

Some things just cannot wait.... I'm skint now though after Mr. Mesu took all my money!

2 hours ago, Jonk said:

This would likely be my reasoning too, however, I could probably afford to buy a 140 in the next year or 2 if I save hard, but anything bigger will have to wait until retirement (long way off), re-mortgage or good fortune somehow.

The extra resolution isn't going to be worthwhile for imaging in our skies sadly.

Some things just cannot wait.... I'm skint now though after Mr. Mesu took all my money!

Yeah, he took mine too mate ;) 

• Haha 1