Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Windows Remote Desktop issues

sloz1664

Has anyone had issues with RDT since the latest Win 10 update. I have been successfully using RDT for a couple of years with no issues, I could remote connect to my Obsy PC from my home laptop and also login on my Obsy PC when needs be without logging off on my home laptop and visa versa when back onto my home laptop with no issues (hope this makes sense).  Since the update I can remotely connect to the Obsy PC; but trying to login directly on my Obsy PC it locks up on the welcome screen and the only way round it is to reboot and a similar issue when trying to login to the home laptop when already logged in on the Obsy PC. The laptop is running windows 10 pro and the Obsy PC windows 7 pro.

Steve

Is it the same user that you are trying to logon with in both instances ??  Locally, you can try the Administrator logon, if its enabled and you know the password... also while remotely connected, look through the event viewer for any errors.

BTW, I have 5 pc's & 3 servers all fully updated with no issues.

Hi Julian,

Previously I could access the Obsy PC via my laptop in RDP and also access the Obsy PC directly. Now if I try to use the Obsy PC whilst logged on with my Laptop it informs me that I'm already remotely logged on. If I log off via my laptop and try to access my Obsy PC it just hangs on the welcome screen.

Steve 

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

Now if I try to use the Obsy PC whilst logged on with my Laptop it informs me that I'm already remotely logged on.

That's normal behaviour, there can be only one active session for the same user account.... and it's not hanging at the welcome screen, it's the system completing the upgrade process. by re-booting the pc, you may have inadvertently broken the OS....

20 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

That's normal behaviour, there can be only one active session for the same user account.... and it's not hanging at the welcome screen, it's the system completing the upgrade process. by re-booting the pc, you may have inadvertently broken the OS....

Hi Julian,

With the active session in progress, I should still be able to use the host PC without logging off the remote device. I used to able to do this, but not now.

Steve

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

With the active session in progress, I should still be able to use the host PC without logging off the remote device. I used to able to do this, but not now.

I have never been able to achieve that - using the local machine always logs out the remote machine.

that'd require a multi-user license on a server grade OS rather than end-user winwoes. Did used to work with pro till W7 IIRC and as I recall there may have been a trick by substituting a component of the OS software. Server gets 2 users as std I believe but not a cheap option for home use. If you want the remote PC to continue with the console session you have to revert to remote control via VNC etc rather than RDP.

Hi Steve,

In  my obsy set-up, I use a mini computer mounted on the OTA for imaging and there is also a separate computer that is used to RDP to the imaging computer when I am setting up. After setting up I normally leave the obsy and continue operating remotely via RDP using my desktop in the house. To switch the RDP session from the obsy to the house all I have to do is use the Alt+F4 key combination on the screen showing the RDP session. That opens a dropdown list box with options to disconnect, sign out, sleep, shutdown or restart. I just select disconnect and that breaks the RDP link without shutting down the  imaging computer. Then back at the house I start an RDP session on my desktop.

It sounds a bit clumsy but it works just fine.

HTH

Regards, Hugh

17 hours ago, Ronclarke said:

Any Desk is also free!

For now - see rants about Team viewer that was free - enjoy while its free - you are testing it 🙂  P.S. Did you see Tornado(Steam) the other day - I missed it.