Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGP Temperature panel hangs and stops showing the Temperature

Tom OD

Hi All,

I m trying to get a remote observatory up and running and I m having plenty of problems with SGP. Most are settings that are incorrect.

I have noticed twice now that if I use the "Connect All Equipment" that in a few minutes while the camera is cooling down, or at the set point of -20C, that the power and temp readings disappear.

I was trying to do a Take One and noticed that it took ages to take the image or download. That is when I noticed the temp settings. See the pic attached.

According to the help manual, this is what you should see if the camera has no cooling regulation. Mine does.

Restarting the PC and the same issue happens again. The camera would cool, but then it would hang again. This time I selected the Connect equipment individually.

Is this a known issue, or would anyone have an idea that I m doing something stupid?

I have managed to get a sequence running already, and I have been able to use the focus, and the take one. I dont know if I have a USB issue, or a software one.

Thanks for looking

Tom.

IMG_7679.jpg

For some reason, first thought in my mind when I started reading was - USB issue.

Have no idea if it in fact is related to USB, but if you don't get any concrete answer - I suggest you start by "debugging" your USB connection.

When you connect it should show the current temperature, if not, then there are USB issues.

If a temperature is shown, in the 'set to' drop box, select the temperature you require, and the duration of how long it takes to cool down, then set the cooler to 'on'....

All this supposes that you haven't set the camera to cooldown on connection in control panel.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it started cooling on connection when I started, as this is how I have it set to in the equipment profiles.

I tried one more reboot before going to bed and this time it gave an error for cannot connect to the camera.

Certainly looks like a USB issue or a dead camera :(

Time to get the night assistant to take a look :)

Tom.

• Haha 1

Yup, Tom, definitely sounds like a USB issue, something I’ve suffered from in my own set up. What are you using kit wise to connect up? Is the camera connected directly to the Eagle unit or is there a hub involved? One thing I’ve used to sure up USB connections is an electrical damp protection spray: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACF-50-Motorcycle-Automotive-Metal-Anti-Corrosion/dp/B0761TV16Y/ref=asc_df_B0761TV16Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310561958390&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11069740108936427647&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045600&hvtargid=pla-701391861078&psc=1

You’ll have to speak nicely to the night assistant... surely he has something of this nature in his tool box that could be applied?

Tom, I've lost count on how many usb cables I have discarded due to errors, and I always use high end cables. I don't know what camera you are using, but if it's a camera issue try reinstalling the drivers. I had an issue a while back with an SX camera & SGP. Reinstalled the drivers and everything worked.

50 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

an electrical damp protection spray

I love this phrase. Its twisting my brain. Thanks Gav I'll look into this. It would definitely require the night assistant to apply. 

50 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Tom, I've lost count on how many usb cables I have discarded due to errors, and I always use high end cables. I don't know what camera you are using, but if it's a camera issue try reinstalling the drivers. I had an issue a while back with an SX camera & SGP. Reinstalled the drivers and everything worked.

Yes it sounds like everyone has had similar and the same issues. I guess it's not a bug then. I think I have a spare USB cable in the shed lying about to try.

If that does not work I can try reinstalling the s/w.

Tom.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

What are you using kit wise to connect up? Is the camera connected directly to the Eagle unit or is there a hub involved?

The USB is from the camera straight into the Eagle, no hub involved. There was some work done in the shed yesterday, so maybe this cable got a little bump

T.

Just now, Tom OD said:

The USB is from the camera straight into the Eagle, no hub involved. There was some work done in the shed yesterday, so maybe this cable got a little bump

T.

Ah ha... very suspicious! That Penrice must have a larger collision radius than he bargained for!!! Hopefully it is simply a nudge out of place and pushing in the USB cable to seat it properly will sort the problems. Has the set-up been working properly and had plenty of use before this recent hiccup?

3 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Ah ha... very suspicious! That Penrice must have a larger collision radius than he bargained for!!! Hopefully it is simply a nudge out of place and pushing in the USB cable to seat it properly will sort the problems. Has the set-up been working properly and had plenty of use before this recent hiccup?

Ha Ha its a tight squeeze in there.

I have been testing it a lot and at least I have managed to get each individual section of a sequence working. Only the other night I got an actual sequence running, but only with my manually setting of a target. The Plate Solve failed when I tried the Framing Mosaic. Blind Solve works but I think it took about 10 mins and the Framing Mosaic timed out.

I still have hours and hours of testing and set up to do yet. I think I may even be slightly disappointed when I eventually get all of this working, in that data collection will become a button pushing exercise. I'll miss the outdoors and manually doing everything. However the amount of data I'll be able to collect for the widefield mosaics will more than compensate for my change of data collection methods. But hey I see that's a discussion already taking place on another thread :) 

The bigger issue on the horizon is the amount of tilt on the damn FSQ106ED. Auto Focus is so tight on one side, and very poor on the other. I may need to graph temp verses the optimal centre focus and use that as the step counts. I 'll see. I may try and get over there and fiddle with grub screws etc. One set is on an extender piece, the others on the FSQ itself? well I m not too sure and nervous about touching them.

I still have my old Blue FSQ106N out there. I might just swap them out, that one never had a tilt issue. What a beauty of a scope. I would need of course to get a new focuser as the Sesto Senso did not come with a bushing wide enough to fit the larger diameter focus shaft. It drive you nuts all these connections.

Yes, it takes so much fiddling to get everything spinning at the same time, but as you say, that’s half the fun of it all. The bonus of ‘one touch imaging’ (ha ha, more of a concept than a reality!) is that you can enjoy a bit of visual while the kit chunters away. Good luck and enjoy your continued fiddling!

I’m shocked to hear about the tilty FSQ106 issues, though not that surprised, I’ve heard many reports of this. Must be sortable, but will involve the terrifying attack with small screwdrivers! If you want a lackey to go out there and fiddle with it all until the system is up and running reliably, I’d like to apply for the position please!!

Edited by PhotoGav

On 19/06/2019 at 18:02, PhotoGav said:

Yes, it takes so much fiddling to get everything spinning at the same time, but as you say, that’s half the fun of it all. The bonus of ‘one touch imaging’ (ha ha, more of a concept than a reality!) is that you can enjoy a bit of visual while the kit chunters away. Good luck and enjoy your continued fiddling!

I’m shocked to hear about the tilty FSQ106 issues, though not that surprised, I’ve heard many reports of this. Must be sortable, but will involve the terrifying attack with small screwdrivers! If you want a lackey to go out there and fiddle with it all until the system is up and running reliably, I’d like to apply for the position please!!

Hi Gav,

Well the good news is that the swapping of the USB cable seemed to work. A little to confirm, but the cooler remained for 3 hours in a test earlier.

Well as for the focuser tilt, or maybe mis-collimation, I need to study up on this again, and run the focuser out on both sides and take more pics.

The first SGP focus was super sharp on the LHS, then got so bad as it went to the RHS, another bit out and the Airy disk would be visible.

Here is what the SGP gave me as the best focus, on a second attempt. Not very good at all.

Center optimised focus.jpg

Edited by Tom OD