Going To AstroFest 2009 ?

jcm

Are the trade stands worth going for?

I would not really be interested in the talks etc but would the trade stands actually be an advatage over just buying on the internet?

Absolutely yes !

You get to view almost everything available in the UK market all under one roof. Last year I was there for 4 hours just walking around looking at stuff and getting expert advice all for the price of one ticket . Great if you are a newby like me and need some help as to what to buy.

See you all there on Friday.

Vlebo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm slightly gutted - I won't be able to attend the Astrofest. I've got to go to the funeral of a relative that recently died recently from cancer. :( I know what I'd rather be doing.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss Chris.

:)

Ron.

I really can't understand why Astrofest is held in Kensington Town Hall.

It's not big enough for such an event and I think this has been obvious for a number of years.

I went in 2005 and quite frankly I thought it was like being at a 'Sale of the Century' event, such was the pushing and shoving as you tried to look at all the equipment on show.

As for the restaurant - couldn't get near the counter!

Shame really, it has such great potential.

In case you didn't guess, I won't be going.

Barry.

My view exactly Barry, and precisely why I stopped going. Even most of the dealers don't like it, and have said so.

However, as Astronomy Now seem to be 'rooted' to the place, I can't see the event ever moving to somewhere more sensible/suitable. Hence I'll never be going again.

Dave

I guess having dome many music shows, and the resultant pushing etc, astrofest seems like a walk in the park in comparison (try NAMM or MusikMesse for crowds...but both are vastly bigger shows I grant you)

I will be there, both days, hoping to pick up a few small items, and will be helping out on the solarscope stand. If the weather permits, we'll be doing some live imaging demos using the SV50/SF100 with the Skynyx 2-0m and a micro laptop

I rather think its gone downhill at bit in the last 5 years or so. There used to be other diverse and interesting stalls there, like Matt Irvine - the space, SF and BBC TV modeller. Also I know the nice people at astro adventures have stopped bringing their inflatable planetarium due to the inflated exhibitor prices ( a bit much I think ion this case as surely a planetarium is more of an attraction to the event than a money making promotion for a company - they keep the publicity for the Astro Adventures holiday stuff to a minimum when they've been before, so I would have thought they'd be treated as a nice addition to the event rather than a tradesman)

It has now become a bit of a free for all market place (if you don't go along for the lectures) and granted there are some good deals, if you're buying smaller items the saving is eaten up by the transport costs.

Shan't be bothering i'm afraid, unless very astronomically 'starved' - Unlikely really as I've just taken receipt of my new dome from that nice chap Ian Knight at Altair!

David Hinds Ltd will be closed from Thurs 5th -Sat 7th while we relocate to Kensington for the annual European Astrofest exhibition.

If you visit make sure you check out our display on stands 10-12 on the ground (main) floor and take a look at the first Celestron CGEM 1100 to hit the UK.

There will also be some cracking AstroFest only specials.

It is crowded and most of the time you are staring at people's backs. Most retails don't give any good bargins at all (although the credit crunch may change that). Even AN, who seem to sponsor it, don't give anything if you take out a subscription there!

Sounds pants to me. I think I will give it a miss.

It's a shame really because I used to go to a magic (tricks) convention in Portsmouth and you could get some great deals.

I am not interested in the lectures and woudl have been on a bargain hunt but as that is not going to happen I will not waste my time.

Hmmm, I have decided not to attend after all, based on the comments above. I hate crowds, and only really enjoy shows when you can have a good one on one with a really knowledgable supplier, which is worth half as much as the kit again I would say.

Not only that, the local council has run out of grit salt, which will make getting to work and indeed anywhere this week very interesting indeed, even in a 4x4. In fact today I was doing a bit of sledging down a hill in a 12T lorry. A real brown trousers moment!

TJ

I will be there with my partner darditti.

He will be on the BAA stall Friday and Saturday lunchtimes.

We will attend some of the afternoon talks.

I will be in my wheelchair, which is a right pain in the crowd.

I will drop by to see you and David...wanted to meet him for some time..

I went on Friday afternoon and met my former tutors of the Liverpool John Moores University.

There were also a few known faces from last year at the BAA and Popastro stands, and I met Allan Chapman again. I was looking for the StargazersLoungers but didn't know where you guys were....

I did not buy any equipment, but I received a great tip about using a mirror when observing with binoculars, then run (not literally :( ) to The Astronomy and Nature Centre stand to find out about it. It's called the binoflex. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock :( , but it should be available in a couple of weeks. I can't wait... :)

Hello :)

I am too in a wheelchair (I use sticks too) and self-propel which is quite hard on carpeted floor (ouch!) . About the crowds, well, I think my wheels ended up on a few people's feet. Whoops! :oops: It is a little tricky been seen by those standing, very tricky... :lol:

I went on Friday afternoon and met my former tutors of the Liverpool John Moores University.

There were also a few known faces from last year at the BAA and Popastro stands, and I met Allan Chapman again. I was looking for the StargazersLoungers but didn't know where you guys were....

I did not buy any equipment, but I received a great tip about using a mirror when observing with binoculars, then run (not literally :( ) to The Astronomy and Nature Centre stand to find out about it. It's called the binoflex. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock :( , but it should be available in a couple of weeks. I can't wait... :)

Hello :)

I am too in a wheelchair (I use sticks too) and self-propel which is quite hard on carpeted floor (ouch!) . About the crowds, well, I think my wheels ended up on a few people's feet. Whoops! :oops: It is a little tricky been seen by those standing, very tricky... :lol:

Were you wearing a hat?

Did Max Alexander, the photographer snap you up?

I can't self-propel.

I hope my footrest didn't kick too many people...

Were you wearing a hat?

Did Max Alexander, the photographer snap you up?

Yes, a blue hat :) I was talking to Barry Kellet, the guy who designed the C1XS, the Moon X-ray machine at Science & Technology Facilities Council (in the basement section of the exhibition), when the photographer snapped pictures of us talking :(

I can't self-propel.

I can't self-propel.

Wheelchairs have never bothered me in crowds as the people in them have no other choice! What did wind me up on saturday was the amount of people who thought it was totall acceptable to wear backbacks in a crowded space and never appologise when they turn around a whack people in the face with them! :(

It's not just backpacks. Shoulder bags tend to swing at eye-level for those in wheelchairs and there was one punter who spoke with his hands while holding an ordinary carrier bag.

I found myself constantly trying to dodge bags that came within an inch of my spectacles.

Archived