NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bank holiday todmorden pier

StaceStar

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think that's the same as one of mine.  Do you have an az index pin for it?

James

Sadly not. The pin on my tripod is one of the molded kind, it doesn't detach. Apparently I should be able to use an m8 bolt and then file the sides off if I need to :)

Yes, I was thinking I'd have to do something similar.

I found the pin from the NEQ6 tripod (of which I have a spare) is too big to fit inside the body of the HEQ5 mount.  The pin on the HEQ5 tripod head is slimmer and possibly also raked back slightly if I recall correctly.  The head may well need cutting off an M8 bolt, but file a couple of flats on the sides and make it just tall enough for the az adjustment bolts to seat cleanly and that should do the job.  Or if the head is small enough, perhaps set that at the correct height for the adjustment bolts to bear on two of the flats and hold it in position with a locknut.

James

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Looking smart! Those adapters are beautifully made 😀 If you need more diameter for the bolt, try threading on a ‘stud connector’. They are either hex sided or smooth. Should be about £1 on eBay

Ahhhhh that's what I was looking for!!! Just ordered some, thank you :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

Are you using the connector now, Stacey, or just the threaded section, or something different again?

James

Hey James :) I had some threaded M10 rod left over, so I lopped a little off and used a file to square it off a bit and flatten the sides. It seems thick enough and I have plenty of azimuth adjustment. I did order some threaded stud connectors though as my plan b. They were pretty cheap at £2.50 for three. I figured they might be useful in future anyway

13 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Exactly the same as I tried then.  Looks like your threaded rod may be slightly better quality than mine though :)

James

Possibly, I read your post on your thread. There doesn't seem to be any wobble in mine. 

When I'm happy with it all I'm going to put a notch in the end of the peg so I can tighten it with a screwdriver, then put a thin layer of locktite to lock it down. Hopefully it should do 

22 hours ago, StaceStar said:

Also, got more supplies 

IMG_20190516_191954.jpg

Having used that stuff you don't have much time before it starts to go off so you will need to work fast. 

Will you be leaving the mount outside on the pier covered? or taking it out each time you image?

Adam 

18 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Having used that stuff you don't have much time before it starts to go off so you will need to work fast. 

Will you be leaving the mount outside on the pier covered? or taking it out each time you image?

Adam 

Will do :) I'll make sure I'm fully prepared before using it :)

Living in Birmingham 😂 ....most likely taking it off and on. This is more for stability really. Though if I can find a good cover eventually I might leave it out if for example we had a run of good evenings etc