SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bank holiday todmorden pier

StaceStar

Haha my north wasn't quite perfect, I'll hold my hands up...drilling concrete isn't my forte 😂😂

However had enough adjustment in my bolts to get there, and a nice polar alignment just to make sure all my work wasn't for nowt!

😁😁😁

IMG_20190521_222214.jpg

• Like 2

Do you have link for the anchors in the top concrete block for fixing the pier adapter?  I have another job where that sort of thing might come in quite handy.

James

52 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Do you have link for the anchors in the top concrete block for fixing the pier adapter?  I have another job where that sort of thing might come in quite handy.

James

Here you go :)

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/m6-concrete-anchor-ankerbolt-socket-bolt-m8-thread?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItoC3662C4gIVzLDtCh2noA1mEAQYASABEgIklvD_BwE

First light with the pier. Keeping it simples tonight, but considering i didn't rebalance it and the wind is picking up, I'm very pleased! 

IMG_20190523_223328.jpg

IMG_20190523_231906.jpg

Edited by StaceStar
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Craney said:

What object are you going for  ??  

I'm giving a new pier a work-out as well.  Fingers crossed.

Not a serious imaging night for me I'm afraid, just testing. But got a few shots of m13 :) good luck with the new pier!

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I saw this pier on your latest YouTube video. I really like the design and Ikm thinking about following it. After using it for a while, anything you’d change about the design?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just thought i'd update, the pier is still solid as a rock and probably one of the best things i have done for my astro journey!

As  you can see, i've also been struck with a bit of aperture fever too!

Pier plus Newt.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, StaceStar said:

Just thought i'd update, the pier is still solid as a rock and probably one of the best things i have done for my astro journey!

Looking good! Hadn't spotted this thread before, but it's great to see step by step how you did it. Great job!

One thing I've never understood about the Todmorden pier is why the pier adapter isn't screwed down tight and flat to the top of the pier. It always seems to be perched an inch above it just on the four bolts. Surely bolting it flat to the pier would be more stable? (I know I must be wrong, as everyone does it that way, but I don't understand why)

Edited by StuartT

2 hours ago, StuartT said:

Looking good! Hadn't spotted this thread before, but it's great to see step by step how you did it. Great job!

One thing I've never understood about the Todmorden pier is why the pier adapter isn't screwed down tight and flat to the top of the pier. It always seems to be perched an inch above it just on the four bolts. Surely bolting it flat to the pier would be more stable? (I know I must be wrong, as everyone does it that way, but I don't understand why)

Little bit of levelling adjustment. I've got even more and its rock solid, nothing to worry about. Mine is solid concrete which helps

1223373384_20190907_193354(1).thumb.jpg.134bbee4ee03d010dc68620d1bdce7e3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1