Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grease for an Eq6 refurbishment and belt drive

solarboy

Hi guys 

What type of Grease would I use for a strip and refurbishment of my Eq6 pro. 

There is a couple of tubs of geoptik Grease you can buy but at 18 quid pop its a bit on the expensive side. 

Like any thing astro twice the price. 

I did it a couple of years ago and it is very stiff just wondering if I used the wrong grease but this time I'm going to fit a belt drive. 

Regards Solarboy 

If retaining the worm gears, the AeroShell Grease 64 would be better as it contains Molybdenum Disulphide, a great lubricant for sliding metal surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The black sticky Skywatcher grease is the best stuff on the planet.

Not sure if you're being facetious, but it does help reduce Dec backlash........

Michael 

2 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Not sure if you're being facetious, but it does help reduce Dec backlash........

Michael 

Not at all, the problem with slow running gears is that the "shear" forces can move the grease away from the bearing surfaces leaving metal to metal contact if its not sticky enough, this is overcome in faster moving applications by the grease being re-distributed as it moves.

Alan

This is where molybdenum disulphide lubricant comes into its own.  It combines chemically with the steel and sort of bonds to the surface.  The crystal structure of the compound is like platelets that slide easily over one another.  I have no idea what the SW grease contains but the black colour could be MoS2 which is normally a dark grey.  Alternatively or additionally, the dark colour could be graphite, another good lubricant for sliding surfaces.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/04/2019 at 23:20, Gina said:

If retaining the worm gears, the AeroShell Grease 64 would be better as it contains Molybdenum Disulphide, a great lubricant for sliding metal surfaces.

Brings back memories of squeezing copious amounts of Molyslip into the rear gearbox of my Moto Guzzi. A must have for those 1970s bits of Italian motorcycle metal. 😬🏍

Archived