Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bowl of Virgo.

cotterless45

Humph, another 19.14 sum sky . I managed to count 30 stars in the hemisphere from north to south facing east. Glass half full as it's a useable night !

Had a shot at some galaxies , but only M49 gave a large diffuse glow. M59/60 and M61 also gave views . Getting down to minus 1 degrees and some light cloud. Just time to get some binaries and superb seeing gave great views.

I'd put these as challenging , taking some high magnification to get sufficient contrast. 72 Virginis was the most ticklish, with great contrast in magnitude. "Little Sagitta" Σ 1664 is a lovely quadruple IMG_6815.thumb.JPG.46625d76f39d6a0a660c506639438093.JPGlittle arrow pointing to M104 ("sombrero"),

clear skies ! Nick.IMG_6816.thumb.JPG.1aa89dbd39620d71af58677085b44b76.JPG

Nick. I despair! You are deep in the richest  galaxy field, and you’re looking at doubles!!! ? Got to respect your dedication.

Good to know that there are some non galactic targets in that part of the sky. I’m afraid that I’m guilty of using the doubles as recognisable navigation beacons amongst the sea of fuzzies. Comma 24 is a very striking double which I often use as a known entrance point into the galaxy bowl. Definitely worth a visit in its own right.

Paul

Wish I could get out as often.

Clear sky tonight over my way but as usual I'm looking at it whilst heading to work!!! 

Doubles in a sea of galaxies. At least you got a few of the faint fuzzies to note. 

Archived