Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope price increases

Kai

Last week i enquired about the price and availability of a Takahashi Sky 90 from Telescope House.

They were not able to give me the price as the European Importer was reviewing the pricing due to the flucuations in exchange rate.I have just noted they have now updated the prices on their website :shock: :shock: :shock:

The Sky 90 with finder is now £1940.99 , last thursday the price was £1639.99 so thats £300 price increase !!!!!

I think that if you are planning on a new scope purchase you had best get in quick before the prices change.

Fingers crossed that the exchange rate comes back in our favour pretty soon :? :?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my first reaction , but if you think that the £ is now approx 20% weaker against the $ then it follows that that prices will have to increase to counter.

Fair or not i think its just a harsh lesson in economics :hello2:

Last week i enquired about the price and availability of a Takahashi Sky 90 from Telescope House.

The Sky 90 with finder is now £1940.99 , last thursday the price was £1639.99 so thats £300 price increase !!!!!

I think that if you are planning on a new scope purchase you had best get in quick before the prices change.

Fingers crossed that the exchange rate comes back in our favour pretty soon :? :?

Orrrrrr..,

Maybe its best to simply keep your hard-earned cash in your pocket, perhaps????

More than likely, the pricing will eventually fall - and besides.., last I checked, refractors don't make good casseroles!

Regards,

astro84

That was my first reaction , but if you think that the £ is now approx 20% weaker against the $ then it follows that that prices will have to increase to counter.

More to do with the price of the Yen, Most items from Japan have rocketed, it was only a matter of time.

Eddie

For those looking at high end mounts the Tak EM400 seems to have gone up by almost £2000. Previously it was about £5,800, but now seen it on one UK vendor site for £7,500. They are'nt going to shift many, if any, at that price. (Not including tripod).

Richard

Blimey, I bought a Tak scope around 12 months ago, now it's £620 more.

I wonder how many units they will be selling in the present economic situation.

It should be going the opposite way.

With people spending less they should be discounting their goods to attract buyers.

Thats just a rip off.

That depends, if its an in stock already item, then yes it is a rip off as it would have been bought in at the old exchange rate.

If it's not in stock and is ordered in as and when required then they would have to pay the new exchange rate, resulting in a higher cost to them.

The quoted rise is 15.5% approx, so is roughly following the exchange rate.. but hang fire and the price will drop when VAT lowers to 15%

2.5% reduction in VAT will make very little difference.

However, having ventured into town yesterday I was surprised to note that it was packed and the tills ringing away like crazy.

Shops such as Game, HMV etc had queues to the tills and they did not have special sales or anything (HMV always has a sale to be fair).

Does make you wonder what the true position is - i.e. for the man on the street. I appreciate that many are loosing their jobs which is terrible but if you landed from space yesterday and looked at the shops as a guide to the economy you would think we were in a boom, not a bust.

Very strange.

I like the fact that the tax cuts now will result in a tax rise later - surely that means that this econmic period will just last a little longer.

2.5% reduction in VAT will make very little difference.

However, having ventured into town yesterday I was surprised to note that it was packed and the tills ringing away like crazy.

Shops such as Game, HMV etc had queues to the tills and they did not have special sales or anything (HMV always has a sale to be fair).

Does make you wonder what the true position is - i.e. for the man on the street. I appreciate that many are loosing their jobs which is terrible but if you landed from space yesterday and looked at the shops as a guide to the economy you would think we were in a boom, not a bust.

Very strange.

I like the fact that the tax cuts now will result in a tax rise later - surely that means that this econmic period will just last a little longer.

I think entertainment sales (CDs, DVDs, games, cinema, etc...) often continue to do well during hard economic times, as people tend to seek some relief from all the doom and gloom.

Fair point ChrisEdu.

I am no economist so I am sure the news is correct (or at least I cannot say it is not) but it was a surprise to see so many people buying when the news was full of comments such as Oxford Street is empty and no-one is buying anything.

Personally, I think they could do alot better by increasing the tax-free bands than the proposed 15% VAT reduction. VAT isn't charged on essential items anyway, so how is it supposed to help us all?

I agree. They also need to close all the loop holes that the very wealthy exploit to avoid paying tax. Some of these people earn millions each year but get away with paying little or no income tax in the UK. :hello2:

Archived