Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In the market for a dobson

Has somebody got a telegizmo cover? No plan to store the telescope outside permanently of course, but I'm considering one for camping or for covering the scope outside early in the evening before observing.

I've got an older Telegizmo cover for my 12" dob. I've used it to overnight the scope outside a few times when I could not be bothered to pack it up and also as a quick coverup if a shower comes along when out in the field with the scope. It seems to do a good job to me. The right balance of being robust and weatherproof while easy to fit and it packs reasonably small - I keep mine in an old football boots bag but maybe they come with their own bags these days ?

Mines not the 365 one so I would not leave the scope out for long periods under it.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John said:

I've got an older Telegizmo cover for my 12" dob. I've used it to overnight the scope outside a few times when I could not be bothered to pack it up and also as a quick coverup if a shower comes along when out in the field with the scope. It seems to do a good job to me. The right balance of being robust and weatherproof while easy to fit and it packs reasonably small - I keep mine in an old football boots bag but maybe they come with their own bags these days ?

Mines not the 365 one so I would not leave the scope out for long periods under it.

Thank you, John. Food for thought!

I might get the 365 one. They look very well built. Thanks again

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Piero said:

Has somebody got a telegizmo cover? No plan to store the telescope outside permanently of course, but I'm considering one for camping or for covering the scope outside early in the evening before observing.

I have a 365 cover Piero and it is very good. If leaving stuff out for any period I tend to keep a dew heater on low to ensure no moisture forms but generally they are excellent.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have a 365 cover Piero and it is very good. If leaving stuff out for any period I tend to keep a dew heater on low to ensure no moisture forms but generally they are excellent.

Thank you for the advice, Stu. :) 

• Like 1

I had a quick chat with Dave today. He will kindly install a cooling fan behind the primary mirror, aside from the usual two or three holes allowing air circulation in the mirror box. It might not be necessary for this 1.45" thick primary mirror, but it is certainly easier to add one now than later. :) 

The mirror was ordered too. John said that it might be delivered to Dave in 8 weeks.  :)

Very happy about how this project is taking shape! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds fabulous Piero. Having you in charge of a lovely big dob under some dark skies should give us some exciting observing reports to look forward to!

Thank you, Stu.

The problem with writing reports is the lack of time, unfortunately. I will try to write some time to time.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 07:36, Stu said:

Hi Stu, out of curiosity, what do you use as dew heater and power control unit, please?

• 4 months later...