SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heq5 Dec grind

sulaco

Hi folks, 

Having setup my kit last night to image Orion I found the Heq5 mount making a hard clicking or grinding noise depending slew speed only in Declination and only when pointing west.

Tried with handset as well as eqmod, the mounts power is supplied with a mains power pack.

I don't get as much time to image as I'd like and often image object in the east as they rise.

Tried slight adjustment of Dec but still happens.

Throwing it out for suggestions. 

Thanks

Campbell

Hi,

No the grinding noise is repeatable by loosening the clutch and rotating to a certain point, re-engage the clutch and it the stepper is jammed and it makes the noise.

Took the side panel off last night, starting to thing that it might be the adjustment of the worm where it's possible too tight when I've removed backlash in the past.

Thanks

Campbell 

It’s most likely the clutch kicking in because something is too tight. I always adjust worm float and test it with weight attached. There are tight spots to guard against. Also, make sure your kit is well balanced.

Archived