What to image tonight.......

paul mc c

I just can’t leave M42 alone. I want to be as happy as I can be with that before I move on to other targets! 

I’m a bit of a perfectionist and whilst I feel I’m 80% there I could do quite a lot better so the camera is running with a view to capturing significantly more data. 

Once it’s disappered behind the garage I may start on some data for M81 or something. Will decide in a bit. 

6 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Actually went with Ronclarke,s suggestion, Flaming star neb,bit hazy but i am taking 500 sec subs and nice guiding so, hopefull until i start processing and then the night mare starts.

That's what I'm on... been on it three nights straight which will usually be enough for me but I've had some problems (for reasons I don't quite understand) and I've only been getting a couple of hours data per night ?

4 minutes ago, x6gas said:

That's what I'm on... been on it three nights straight which will usually be enough for me but I've had some problems (for reasons I don't quite understand) and I've only been getting a couple of hours data per night ?

Never knew anything as frustrating as AP in my life.....but i am like a dog with a bone...3 clear nights in a row...if only.

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Been having issues myself, most recent one was guide camera not connecting on occasions. Swooped usb cable and all is well!

On the HH now @paul mc c then plan to switch to Markarians chain later on. 

Markarians is definitely on my list at some point, especially after seeing @Skarpen's image the other week but I have the wrong scope on the mount for that....

1 minute ago, paul mc c said:

Never knew anything as frustrating as AP in my life.....but i am like a dog with a bone...3 clear nights in a row...if only.

I know, right.  Can't remember when I last had three clear nights and I was actually around at home.  So pretty typical that I've been having a few issues and haven't been able to make the most of it...

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Been having issues myself, most recent one was guide camera not connecting on occasions. Swooped usb cable and all is well!

On the HH now @paul mc c then plan to switch to Markarians chain later on. 

Nice one...had a nightmare last night,camera kept disconecting,dont know why,but probably usb,s,so just wasted an hour and give up.

I've come in. Totally fed up with the SA, and faffing around with a RDF that has gone out of alignment. Tried to get it back using Betelgeuse as a marker, thought I had it, but then tried Praesepe but it was well out.

Can't be doing with this. Want a good RACI finder.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

I've come in. Totally fed up with the SA, and faffing around with a RDF that has gone out of alignment. Tried to get it back using Betelgeuse as a marker, thought I had it, but then tried Praesepe but it was well out.

Can't be doing with this. Want a good RACI finder.

Oh dear!  I feel your pain.  Must admit that my Christmas present was moving to an electronic finder - an Orion 50mm objective finder guider and a QHY 5L II.  It's not a massive field of view but I like it a lot (and I can use SharpCap to polar align) but it doesn't help if your finder and main scope aren't aligned.  Must admit that I have a RDF but I've never really got on with it and I do prefer my RACI...

2 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Oh dear!  I feel your pain.  Must admit that my Christmas present was moving to an electronic finder - an Orion 50mm objective finder guider and a QHY 5L II.  It's not a massive field of view but I like it a lot (and I can use SharpCap to polar align) but it doesn't help if your finder and main scope aren't aligned.  Must admit that I have a RDF but I've never really got on with it and I do prefer my RACI...

I did actually get some data for my Sword to Flame, how well aligned they are is another matter. Really missing my proper rig on the DDM60. Can't wait to get the building work done so I can set it up again.

Well I'm getting decentish guiding now.  Oddly I think part of the problem I was having is that my polar alignment is much better so I am getting a very tight error in Dec but that exposes the error in PA so I was getting elongated stars.  I've made some changes and I'm getting the same overall RMS error (0.7"  but the error is more even on both axis so the stars are rounder...

I'm still a fair way off of the guide performance I was getting before I took my sabbatical from the hobby though - I am looking at an old guide graph with 0.34" in RA and overall 0.52" RMS but of course I am imaging a different part of the sky...

Not a hugely successful night for me either in terms of imaging. My framing of M42 wasn’t great and I missed M81 altogether. 

Still, learned a bit more; a) to triple check framing, b) I’ve got the hang of better focussing and c) my failed M81 subs were 5 minute guided at 0.5-0.7” rms which I’m very pleased with. I’ll take that for the night’s efforts  

EQDir cable arrives tomorrow so I can start fighting EQMOD :D 

Well once I'd switched to M81/82, the forecast said 0% chance of rain, so I decided to leave the scope running all night and went to bed. First time I've done that! took a little while to get to sleep as I imagined the auto focuser going wild and bursting into flames, but I just got up and it's all nicely parked up and I have 5 hours of Lum data that at a glance looks decent :D 

Archived