Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan and SAO numbers

Just realised the Skywatcher synscan hand controller isn't very consistent when entering objects by number in the various catalogues. Whereas the deep sky catalogues don't require a leading zero as place holder, ie M35 just enter 35 in the Messier list the SAO catalogue requires a leading zero, ie for SAO 44317 you need to enter 0443 to start and then press enter to scroll to 044317. 
Hope this help others who have had problems as the user manual makes no mention of this little quirk.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I went out last night in the hope of trying a few SAO numbers for the first time but couldn't get it to work, and I've just read on another post on here that you have to enter the first four digits, then press enter, and then scroll through the last two digits using the up and down keys to complete the number.

Thanks to this and your post I'm ready now for the next outing. 🤞

Why don't they print this on some instruction manual somewhere!??

Thanks! and all the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

It's a shame this can't be enabled in the SynScan App as the list of doubles is a bit limited. 

If you use sky safari with the SynScan App you can download loads of double star designations into it.

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

If you use sky safari with the SynScan App you can download loads of double star designations into it.

Thanks @wookie1965 that would be an ideal situation but I can never get SkySafari to reliably connect to the mount using the SynScan app and WiFi.

It's fine using Skyfi and an old iPhone but the iPhone is failing and I can't justify another iPhone just for SkySafari. 

Wish I knew what the problem was but SkySafari reports it's connected to the mount but that the mount doesn't respond to commands. 

I am still having issues saving one or 2 star alignment with the SynScan App

Instruction indicate up and right to save

Been southern hemisphere, use Sirius and Canopus for 2 star alignment

When go to Sirius, as first star, save, then goes to second star, the App choices selection of stars it wants, not what I want

Any help

John

On 26/05/2019 at 19:11, wookie1965 said:

Very strange I've had no problems at all I connect the SynScan App first do the alignment be it 1,2 or 3 stars then load skysafari and connect I'm using a galaxy S7.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to either the version of Android my new phone uses or the phone itself. 

I've had everything connected happily all afternoon using my Android Tablet (Lenovo) which is running Android 6.0.1.  SkySafari plus 6.0 and SkySafari Pro 5.0 both connect and run exactly as they should on the tablet, as does Stellarium Plus.  

However, the new phone (Huawei P20) runs Android 9.0.0.168 and none of the above apps will reliably connect and control the mount. Just need to try my old Android phone now. If that works then I'm sorted as the Tablet is a bit big to take out and about. 

I've just confirmed that my only Samsung Galaxy A5 running Android 6.0.1 also seems to work fine with SkySafari and Stellarium plus so it looks like it's something to do with the new phone. At some point I'll do a factory reset and try again.

Edited by AdeKing
Extra info.
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 12:24, Captain Magenta said:

They do, 

Ahh brilliant. Thanks for that. I should be able to find a PDF version online. I've only got the actual skywatcher manuals. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 09:59, Marvin Jenkins said:

Don’t want to sound stupid, but what are SAO numbers? I am unfamiliar with this list.

Hi, I hope the links others have posted help. I've started checking out a few double stars and I believe SAO numbers are useful for finding them. Also useful for lovely stars like the Garnet Star for example. You can find it manually but a quick SAO number and hopefully the scope should go straight to it.