Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Had a quick search but not found much info, I've just 'transitioned' from DSLR to a CMOS (AA 183C pro)

Used to capture with APT or Backyard Nikon, save as RAW, DSS to stack and use autosave.tif to work on in Photoshop. Whats the general consensus on CMOS ?

So far trying APT or Sharpcap, saving as FITS, stacking in DSS still and using autosave.tif into Photoshop. I keep seeing fits liberator mentioned ?

Opinions gratefully received.  

That is pretty much it.

I would probably use different software for different tasks - like SGP for acquisition, my own mumbo jumbo for stacking, and Gimp for processing, but work flow is pretty much the same.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I guess I'm going to have to learn processing in a different way, this is about 60 mins of 15 seconds and 20 mins of 45 seconds but only stacked approx 60 % as SAM wasn't up to the weight / length of SW 72 ED (was just a test !)

Saved as FITs, stacked in DSS, Autosave.tif into PS6, convert to 16 bit, convert to RGB, levels in RGB several times, curves several times ... Just what I do to Nikon files (except save as NEF)

Where has all the colour gone ?

This is with a nice stretched histogram, slightly biased to the left and saturation turned up several times .

Slight crop to remove stacking edges and raised approx 60% to save SGL bandwidth.

M42-23-2-19.png

Edited by knobby
Typo ...autostakkert instead of autosave

Next to per channel background, tick box says debloom, I'm stacking again using recommended settings, one of which is per channel background, just have to wait 4 hours now ...

Thanks again for your help Vlaiv

'sad face' same result, image is rgb but can't get any real colour showing ...

used black point 31 and gain at 400 in APT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit, just tried these settings, found on Cloudy nights, 

Only stacked 20 x 15 seconds and 5 darks as test but with some seriously aggressive / quick levels / curves in PS6 got some colour !

image.thumb.png.25cec5a4501a33fc830768ae7c5358b5.png

M42.png

Edited by knobby
Added pictures
  • Like 1

Maybe it's my sense of humour but the title of the thread amused me:  transition from DSLR to CMOS. 

Since the DSLR is a CMOS, you have successfully transitioned from CMOS to CMOS 😉 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just noticed your reply Mark ! Note to self , must pay more attention to thread titling 😉

On 27/02/2019 at 01:13, sharkmelley said:

Maybe it's my sense of humour but the title of the thread amused me:  transition from DSLR to CMOS. 

Since the DSLR is a CMOS, you have successfully transitioned from CMOS to CMOS 😉 

Mark

Was thinking the same mark but didn't want to get shot down

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/02/2019 at 15:25, knobby said:

Where has all the colour gone ?

This, my friend, is what I wonder too after each Stack of my Canon 600d with DSS, even with "per channel bkgd calibration", as @vlaiv correctly suggest. 

DSS just desaturates the images so much, that to pull colour out again I have to boost saturation and noise steps back in. Don't know if I'm missing something. 

Edited by FaDG

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Was thinking the same mark but didn't want to get shot down

It's really fine, I have a sense of humour 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FaDG said:

DSS just desaturates the images so much, that to pull colour out again I have to boost saturation and noise steps back in. Don't know if I'm missing something. 

I found the same with DSS so i switched to Astro pixel processor which i find great. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

I found the same with DSS so i switched to Astro pixel processor which i find great. 

I'll try that. I have a few images that didn't satisfy me, as I have the impression to see more signal in the raws than in the Stack. 

Edited by FaDG

5 minutes ago, FaDG said:

I'll try that. I have a few images that didn't satisfy me, as I have the impression to see more signal in the raws than in the Stack. 

There's a trial version so well worth giving it a go. Make sure you select your bayer pattern and force cfa in raw/fits files before pressing integrate. Also try Sara Wagers website for some simple to follow tutorials.